The scarecly mentioned ...music

chriso20

Reaction score
I play HL mods alot, sometimes i play with music, sometimes without (depends on the game really).

Well when i play with music i use winamp in the background, which is fair enough, but the thing with it is it sometimes 'pulls you out the game' for example; You're stealthing it around a moonlit scrapyard... tip-toeing all the way... crouching, laying down, walking... silent as a leaf.... *next track comes on: I AM A FIRESTARTER! A TWISTED FIRESTARTER!!!*... yeah very nice :rolleyes:

Another example of why HL2 music will be good.
Have you ever watched a cool presentation or action film without sounds? Sucks doesnt it.

Well my point is this, the music in HL2 will staged so that it tones-up or down depending on the situation, drum rolls signify key points and add tension, making for a better game.
I think sound and music are some things people really dont appreciate until they dont have them, they really make or break a game!

:E So lets get jiggy wiva headcrab! SHA-MO!! :E

I love the ambient sounds used in the background for the G-man.

as with all fps, the music will immediately be turned off as soon as ive installed hl2.

Dr0ndeh said:
as with all fps, the music will immediately be turned off as soon as ive installed hl2.

i know what you're saying but i'd reconsider with hl2. Just try it with music first, then come back and slap me later :rolleyes:.

Music will definatly be a thing to keep on, it adds dramatically to the gameplay.

i always play games with the music, except Hl i borrowed it from a friend and he took the cd after we installed it i was sad.... i cant wait for Hl2 with the music though!!!!

vegeta897 said:
Music will definatly be a thing to keep on, it adds dramatically to the gameplay.

I love the music so far that we've seen.

HL2 and HL1's music is awesome, techno rocks

Hl2's techno tracks are very cool. Tecno is the easiest type of music to overlay different tracks, which is nessiscary for dynamic soundscapes. and just consider the possibilities of Dynamic Soundscapes! Did you notice how in the e32003 video "coastline" that the Alein Gunship had it's own specific track, and as soon as he shot the thing down, the gunships's track suddenly cut off? That was simply amazing.

Haha, I never played HL1 through with music the first time I beat it, then I figured out if you play with the CD in, music!

I'll most likely play HL2 with the music
and then once without.

theotherguy said:
the Alein Gunship had it's own specific track, and as soon as he shot the thing down, the gunships's track suddenly cut off? That was simply amazing.

Pumpin' Stereo on those gunships...

theotherguy said:
Hl2's techno tracks are very cool. Tecno is the easiest type of music to overlay different tracks, which is nessiscary for dynamic soundscapes. and just consider the possibilities of Dynamic Soundscapes! Did you notice how in the e32003 video "coastline" that the Alein Gunship had it's own specific track, and as soon as he shot the thing down, the gunships's track suddenly cut off? That was simply amazing.

I didn't consciously spot that but the effect did register in my mind. Now that you say it I realise how cool and effect it was.

Music is vitally important, as is ambience and any other sounds effects. They really put you in to the game world. You may not think so while talking about it, but you would notice the difference immediately if all the sound effects were replaced with mediocre ones.

I will definately leave the music turned on, i loved the soundtrack on Half-Life and i'm sure this one wont disappoint either.

I always listen to the music the game has. turn on the e3 2k4 demo to 14 minutes exactly. Watch until the part where it goes to the next scene (after the crane) The music at this part has a really good sound to it.

Half-Life has very good and atmospheric music, so did Op Force, and I expect Half-Life 2 to be even better. :)

Slightly off topic I know, but did anyone else notice that their Steam based Opposing force plays the Half-Life tracks rather than the Op Force tracks? I've replayed all through the original Half-Life once again recently and all it's expansions to freshen myself up on the story...
I put the Opposing force cd in the drive but it wouldn't use it for the music.
Is it just me?

Music off for me. Music takes me out of the "world"....especially techno.

I'll play with the music.. but I disagree with techno.

Far Cry had awesome music.

The only bad part about dynamic soundscapes is that I can't make a Half Life 2 music CD to put in my car like I did for UT2003/4 :(

Dem0nEgg said:
Half-Life has very good and atmospheric music, so did Op Force, and I expect Half-Life 2 to be even better. :)

Slightly off topic I know, but did anyone else notice that their Steam based Opposing force plays the Half-Life tracks rather than the Op Force tracks? I've replayed all through the original Half-Life once again recently and all it's expansions to freshen myself up on the story...
I put the Opposing force cd in the drive but it wouldn't use it for the music.
Is it just me?

I get it as well. It's because there's no "media" folder for OpForce, so it defaults to Half-Life's media folder. Annoying really, I liked the OpForce music.

KagePrototype said:
I get it as well. It's because there's no "media" folder for OpForce, so it defaults to Half-Life's media folder. Annoying really, I liked the OpForce music.

Actually I just checked and it does have a seperate media folder,
C:\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\[email protected]\opposing force\valve\media for me...

Half-Life uses
C:\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\[email protected]\half-life\valve\media

So I am thinking if I can rip the audio off the Op Force cd I could replace the files and not affect the original Half-Life :)

Dem0nEgg said:
C:\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\[email protected]\opposing force\valve\media for me...

Don't you mean:

C:\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\[email protected]\opposing force\gearbox\media?

I have a media folder in my gearbox folder, but I only because I put it there so OpForce would get some title music. The valve folder is virtually empty for me.

I copied those just now, infact I even copied my email and quickly edited it.
If you don't have those folders I guess you just have to create them, the same as when you replace skins and models.

I think techno would be the best music to suit HL2. But it isnt necicerally good for other games like any ww2 game (CoD). And then there is there is the game Painkiller wich in my opinion hasthe best music out of all games> HELLLL YAH :borg:
I wanna see an Fps with some nice rap music (kingpin,that game was so ****in awesome)

I really liked the music that started to play after the big helicopter fight in 'Surface Tension' on Half-Life. It was a really good gaming moment for me. Especially after taking out all of those grunts and the tank.
I will definitely play the game with music first, but then I will play without after beating the game, to try to pick up any strange or mysterious sounds that may be blasted out by the music.

i turn music off, in half life i couldnt control music volume separate to sound effects vol.

but the best music is valve's intro music.

I still remember those beats in HL1, when you get that HEV suit, a real rush of blood to the head man

Back