The Secret Half Life 2 Devleoper Reducing Weapon!

B

bazooka_tooth

This weapon is not to be found in the game but was used by the developers of it just before it's release. I (like all of you) read a lot of previews and saw a lot of screen shots for Half Life 2 before it's circulation.

Among the things I saw were; ichthyosaurs, Combine with HK5s, those Hydra things (especially them), talk of new bullsquids. There is more but I saw the articles and such back before the game was released.

I also wonder what happened to the parts of the game that were released as downloadable videos? Sure, most of us would have known those bits well when we came to them but they still would have been cool to play and not everyone saw them.

I suppose what I'm getting at was that Half Life 2 was almost there. If the weapons and enemies that were once included in an unreleased version of the game were put into the final game, it would have rocked from a height! Is there a reason they were removed? That and why the hell would Valve never let Freeman do anything on his own; without help from Alyx, rebels, Antlions or vehicles. Half Life 1 was all about doing things on your own (granted that made some bits hella difficult).

Lets just hope they release HL2: Deleted Scenes :)

Sorry to say, but it's just part of the development process of all games. Take any game in existance and things get changed, removed and added to improve the overall feel of the game. A lot of the things mentioned simply didn't fit (HK5s), weren't finished because they didn't really add anything (Icthysaur, Bullsquids) or were far far crapper than they looked in the neato "proof of concept" videos from E32k3 (Hydra - It was reportadly craptacular to actually fight, though it was fun to see it spearing people).

The reason for allies is to keep the experience varied (the solo thing has been done so many times before - keeping a game varied keeps the player interested) and to capitalise on one of the success of Half-Life 1: Friendly AI. Valve were kind of suprised by people's reactions to the scientists and security guards who were just a side-show in HL1, so they wanted to give the player a more capable set of allies to fight alongside.

First of all, I think part of the reason you've never gotten all this help before, except in games like Rainbow 6, is that it's never worked before. How many games do you get to meet up with a squad of fighters along the way and simply let them do all the work?

Second, a lot of that adds to the story. Gordon Freeman's been in stasis for G-Man knows how long; you think he'd know how to do something more advanced than push a button on an alien interface to move a person pod? Alyx has practically grown up around this stuff, it should be second-nature to her. Gordon's been brought into this world very suddenly, and hasn't experienced it.

Plus, like the guy in the Vortigaunt camp said, one man breaking into Nova Prospekt wouldn't stand much chance, but a man with a pack of ant lions... besides, that's one of the best parts, throwing the pherapods and letting the ant lions do your dirty work. Saves on ammo, too.

you think half-life 2 was cut badly? you should've seen silent hill 2 before it hit the shelves

kupoartist said:
Valve were kind of suprised by people's reactions to the scientists and security guards who were just a side-show in HL1, so they wanted to give the player a more capable set of allies to fight alongside.

Which was where they went wrong, I hated those damn "citizens". The scientists were much more amusing, and the Barneys much more lethal!

Leagle said:
The scientists were much more amusing, and the Barneys much more lethal!
Scis were amusing solely because they were dumb. If HL2 was released with anything approximating the old friendlies, HL2 would be crap. Likewise with the Barneys. They would have been more lethal and intelligent if they stood in one position and fired at enemies with a spud gun. Oh wait, they did.

Actually they were quite effective, much more so than those damn citizens with their popguns -who, by the time they have better weapons on a regular basis, are shockingly inept at staying alive.

The vortigaunts are great however, spawn them in combat and you see the ai in action. The combine were intelligent as well, too bad they were much weaker than your so-called "pals".

Don't worry. There is no weapon capable of reducing developers. Although if there was i'd shoot a quick burst at Gabe and reduce some of that blubber. :cheese:

I don't understand the arguement that the Hydra would have been no fun to fight...
In HL1 you fight this giant 30m Alien in the Blast Chamber. That was fun as well IMO. They could have done something similar with the Hydra. Don't let the player fight the Hydra directly, but just let him pump electricity in or so...

I heard the hydra was out because they coudn't really get any AI into it...

Get the Garry mod and make a chain of manhacks... They work together like a hydra tentacle

No, the ai worked, apparently, when the hydra attacked you, you just saw a big blue thing stabbing you. Thats why they took it out.

Quote from ken birdwell
"...... When it attacked others, as the player you could see this great big glowing giant worm snaking through the map, knocking stuff over and putting on a great show, but when it attacked you, you'd just see this this non-descript blob doing something vague, then you'd be dead....."

v1p3r said:
Lets just hope they release HL2: Deleted Scenes :)

If they do, they will charge $39.95 for it, and call it 'HL2 expansion pack.'

It's like you're having a clipping problem or something when the Hydra attacked you. Obviously, Source was unable to handle this kind of stuff...yet :)

I think its a pity there werent any 'unkillable' enemied that required problem-solving to get rid of. One of my fave bits in HL1 was killing the tentacles in 'Blast Pit'.

expansion packs are most likely on their ways. patience

what was teh reducing weapon. can it be made and realeased as a mod?

Uoy Dellik I said:
what was teh reducing weapon. can it be made and realeased as a mod?

Congratulations! Your first post, and you didn't even bother to read ANYTHING in this thread, not even the first post... :cheers:

lol i did read the post, it doesnt say what the gun did. why did it do? was it a rocket, a test gun, a machine gun, a sniper rifle?

Uoy Dellik I said:
lol i did read the post, it doesnt say what the gun did. why did it do? was it a rocket, a test gun, a machine gun, a sniper rifle?
I'm pretty sure it took the form a massive chargeable BS cannon.

I came into this thread thinking there was some sort of "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" device.
But all I get is another "where's the hydra?" thread. :(

What he's saying is that he's so angry about the omitted features that he wishes there were a weapon intended for reducing developers to steaming ash!

Doppelgofer said:
you think half-life 2 was cut badly? you should've seen silent hill 2 before it hit the shelves

Shit , that's a sick game ... :x

riles said:
expansion packs are most likely on their ways. patience

You mean hl2 exp packs ? Yeah those would rock ( But I hope there would be Gordon talking there ) especially If they would make opposing force 2 .

Braska said:
I don't understand the arguement that the Hydra would have been no fun to fight...
In HL1 you fight this giant 30m Alien in the Blast Chamber. That was fun as well IMO. They could have done something similar with the Hydra. Don't let the player fight the Hydra directly, but just let him pump electricity in or so...
Yes...fight...I wouldn't call pushing some buttons fighting...

hi_ted said:
Yes...fight...I wouldn't call pushing some buttons fighting...
Ok, so it's not a "fight" as such, but it's one of the essential ingredients of what makes Half-Life, Half-Life: A Puzzle. I think the ommision of something like the Tentacle or Gargantua Puzzle-fights was the one major misjudgement Valve made. They recognised just about everything else in their winning formula, but missed one of the things that just made Half-Life, Half-Life. The Hydra could have been a perfect opportunity to address this "problem", just the same as many were expecting the Strider battles to be far more ingenius than what we got. The game is fantastic... but it could have been even better.

i dont really believe in that B.S about the hydra not bein good enough. they cut it off bcuz they were wwaaaaaayy of schedule, so they cut it out so they could finish it as soon as possible...

XariuS said:
i dont really believe in that B.S about the hydra not bein good enough. they cut it off bcuz they were wwaaaaaayy of schedule, so they cut it out so they could finish it as soon as possible...

But the hydra was finished! We have fully working code right here!

Just think, please...

Back