the strokes - first impressions of earth

evil^milk

Tank
Reaction score
is supposed to be out now.

has anyone heard it? Thoughts?

me, i liked it quite a lot although i'm more of a Is This It fan. They're different sounding this time, having changed instruments and stuff... but i'm a fan and i love the new album. Didn't like it at first though, but every song grew on me.

What I didn't like is, I'd have to say, that they sound repetitive in Electricityscape and On the Other Side, though i love the latter. Heart in a Cage is awesome sounding at first, but the song doesn't really go anywhere than that.

What i like is the idea that they focused more on making every bit of the song interesting, like you only live once and red light. Red Light and Razor Blade = melodic sex. Awesome songs. Songs like Heart in a Cage and Killing Lies have great drumming.

Lyrics are interesting, specially in Ask Me Anything. Haven't focused too much on the lyrics though.

What say you.

evil^milk said:
is supposed to be out now.

has anyone heard it? thoughts?

me, i liked it quite a lot although i'm more of a Is This It fan. they're different sounding this time, having changed instruments and stuff... but i'm a fan and i love the new album. didn't like it at first though, but every song grew on me.

what i didn't like is, i'd have to say, that they sound repetitive in electricityscape and on the other side, though i love the latter. heart in a cage is awesome sounding at first, but the song doesn't really go anywhere than that.

what i like is the idea that they focused more on making every bit of the song interesting, like you only live once. red light and razor blade = melodic sex. awesome songs. songs like heart in a cage and killing lies have great drumming.

lyrics are interesting, specially in ask me anything. haven't focused too much on the lyrics though.

what say you.

i've got it and I like it a lot...everyone should give it a listen if you've liked the strokes before.

As I said in the other thread, I really look forward to picking it up on Friday after I get paid.

I think the album is pretty average so far as well.. i'll listen to it a bit more, see if I get accustomed to it.

Yeh, it's a good new direction, but nothing fantastic. IT will grow on you very quickly and best songs include the sublime Juicebox, You Only Live Once, Electricityscape, On The Other Side, and Heart In A Cage. Nice new drum 'n' bass work, but at times the guitar riffs (and songs overall) can be a quite bland.

I heard Juicebox, which reminded me of Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster (which is no bad thing :p ); they at least have my attention now. :)

Just picked it up today, and I have to say I really like it. Lyrics are... decent, a few of the songs have pretty bad verses, but I dig the beats and instrumentals.

Back