TheNerdNews: Harry Potter and the wizard idea to foil cinema pirates

thenerdguy

Reaction score
Cinema ushers across Britain go into action today with a new piece of equipment which makes their ice-cream trays and hand torches look tame.

Military-style night-sights have been sent to every outlet in the country showing the new Harry Potter film, The Prisoner of Azkaban.

Staff have been instructed to spend all two hours and 22 minutes of the film scanning the dark - for pirates making illegal copies.

"I've never known a company to go to such lengths to protect a film," said Jamie Graham, manager of the Vue cinema at Cheshire Oaks, Wirral, where the red monocle devices are ready for action.

The precaution has been taken by the film's distributor, Warner Brothers, after an epidemic of poor-quality, grainy versions of the two previous Potter films.

Surreptitious recording from cinema seats, sometimes interrupted by the head of the person in front shifting and blocking the action, has become a serious menace, according to the industry.

Most cinemas now screen an appeal to audiences to shop any neighbour suspected of filming, along with warnings about mobile phones and adverts for popcorn.

Mr Graham said: "Video piracy is rife everywhere, and with the UK screening the film four days before the rest of the world, Warner was concerned the movie would end up on the internet."

Pirate DVD versions of the boy wizard's earlier adventures were traced to Britain through codes imprinted on the films as a security device.

The night sights, together with the coding and experiments with watermarks, have added significantly to distribution costs. But Warner sees the investment as negligible compared with the threat to the whole industry.

Staff at the Vue will be "very discreet" with their potentially frightening cyclopean attachments, Mr Graham said, but action against offenders would be swift.

Much like the battered young wizards on screen, who are constantly being whirled about by baddies, pirates will be "hauled out of their seats and reported straight away to the police".

Link

Cinema piracy has been around for years though. I remember when I was 6 I watched a pirate movie that was recorded from the cinema. It's a shame but it's another one of those things that probably won't ever stop, like music piracy.

I dont know how dark they make the movie houses over there but some people are going to hurt there eyes if they are in the movie room looking through there NV goggles wile the movie is playing.

Yeah that occured to me too thenerdguy.

I mean its gona hurt if there is a sudden flash of light on the screen after a dark segment surely...

Still cool and funny though! :)

Why would anyone want to watch a movie that has been recorded by a hand camera?

Nobody downloads grainy in-cinema rips of films anyway, they are almost unwatchable and definately unaudible.

They should just keep tabs on who they send DVD screeners to, that's all.

I saw the film and they gave a warning for it before hand, they use night vision cameras not googles :p

ROTFL... and but what about the brussel sprouts? We all need some more hair on our chests.

Leaked/Stolen movs always suck, the quality sucks, interruptions suck.....

I hate it. DVD rip offs are acceptable at least. *I, in no way condone illegal DVD recordings*

damn... who cares about potter! well obviously Warner does, but that is taking the piss.

I watched plenty of pirate films as a kid too, like Chris_D, but back then there wasn't an internet like there is today and films used to be released in the US months (not days / weeks) before anywhere else.

Pirateer's are using better equipment nowadays too that crap about sub-par copies is to stop people searching for the movie.. my guess is there will be a Telesync copy on the net already :/

What the.. what do they do if they see someone recording it? ruin the entire film for everyone else by turning on the lights and grabbing the guy (who sits in the middle of the audience) and drag him out? There's no way I'd pay $8 (or whatever it costs in dollars to go to the cinema) for that and then just get the whole thing ruined.

But it's sort of a good idea but the grainy films are complete crap.

I never bother with DVD rips, I'm a DVD freak and the whole joy of getting DVDs is also to enjoy the menu and packaging.

I mean, have any of you seen the Bo Selecta DVD? The menu on it is amazing and really funny.

Movie Screeners are pretty dreadful, and if its a film I really really really want to see I'm not going to ruin the experience by a crappy copy with chinese subtitles.

Pobz said:
Nobody downloads grainy in-cinema rips of films anyway, they are almost unwatchable and definately unaudible.

They should just keep tabs on who they send DVD screeners to, that's all.

Well, here in China sometimes the only way to see a movie is to buy a grainy, filmed in the cinema copy. Even if it does get released here, it's usually months after the rest of the world.

For example the Return of the King didn't open here until March this year. But you could buy pirated copies since December...

Defies the point of watching the film if you have to see it at that low quality, better to just wait and watch it as its supposed to be watched :/

Back