There gotta be scripted sequences

D

Dragon1337

why is valve saying that they dont use scripted sequences? ive seen a movie of the scene where gordon hides in a house and pushes a table infront of the door so they have to kick it in... and then he puts on noclip, gets out and shoot the guy kicking the door, and even if hes dead the door gets kicked in :eek: i dont think valve got a "ghost in the source"

sigh, can you say 'ill wait for the full release before commenting again on this subject'

First off, I'm SURE you've seen a "movie" of it.

Second off, this has been cleard up by VALVe. They never claimed there would be NO scripted sequences, in fact, they never claimed that scene wasn't scripted. There was a comment made during the barricade scene that the AI WASN'T SCRIPTED and they were covering Gordon based upon your actions.

Please search before you make posts such as this :) lol, this has been covered to death...

And on one last note, I believe that the scripted event in traptown is supposed to represent what the AI will be like when it's done

its scripted.....your going to have to trust me on that one *wink wink*. sorry i was turned over to the dark side......shit i couldnt resist such a tempting thing and valve reallllllyyyyy let me down.

Well it may have been a triggered script, if you don't run in the house then you might not trigger it. And they fully admitted that there would be a balance of scripted sequences and AI motivated ones. Without the scripted they couldn't move the story forward and the epic scenes wouldn't be so epic.

It's sorda like complaining that a movie is all prescripted. If it wasn't you'd never get the memmorable moments.

And considering most of HL1 was scripted and we love it so, there's nothing wrong with that. I mean remember those times when aliens would apear just before army guys arived and you'd get to see huge battles between the two, without scripting you would have never seen someting like that, the AI's would be too smart to drop their aliens into a place where there's heavy military activity, unless they had a better plan then a fire fight.

That's only an example, i'm sure someone else could put it better.

I STILL don't understand why people thought there would be NO scripted sequences.. jeez. VALVe never even said that that part wasn't scripted..

And for another mention, I uhm, know.. by way of a friend (;)), that all the e3/bink video footage was created solely for e3, so therefore, that stuff won't be in the final game

Originally posted by Shuzer
I STILL don't understand why people thought there would be NO scripted sequences.. jeez. VALVe never even said that that part wasn't scripted..

And for another mention, I uhm, know.. by way of a friend (;)), that all the e3/bink video footage was created solely for e3, so therefore, that stuff won't be in the final game

Hmm.. does your friend ;) mean that the cool action scenes (scripted or not scripted, I really don't care, as long as it's fun) won't be in the real game, or the specific locations/maps?

One possibility that I haven't seen posted is that the AI is quite capable of doing everything in the E3 videos, but valve wanted to make sure we saw it do all those things in a very controlled, and time limited presentation. Given the choice of playing through the sequence dozens of times to try and get a demo recording of all the cool little things the AI can do, and just scripting bits of it to make SURE it happens, I personally would go for the scripted approach and just get it over with and move on.

There's an old saying that goes something like 'pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.' The general public was never supposed to PLAY those maps as setup for recording the E3 demo.

If you truly doubt the capabilities of the valve programmers, I suggest you look at some of their past accomplishments, including the AI for the Thief games. These guys aren't n00bs. They have a long track record that predates half-life the first. I have no doubts we'll see some amazing things.

And yes, there are scripted sequences. Go back and reread some of the articles from when the game was first announced. They talk about there being scripted sequences, but that the way it works now makes it much harder to identify them, because the sequence is interruptable and tolerates player involvement. The Kleiner's Lab sequence is an excellent example. Everything there is a mix of scripts, including the reaction to knocking the monitor off the table, but they are mixed together and triggered by the player so it feels like real AI. Kleiner's reaction to the player may be scripted (perhaps one of many possible reactions), but the player triggers it. If you have enough such triggerable scripts, it becomes very hard to disguish a script from a real 'behaviour'.

There is no such thing as true AI, and there may not be for many years or decades. This is just a logical progression. I expect to have a great deal of fun exploring the boundaries of the 'AI', and seeing just how much foresight valve had in layering and mixing scripted behaviours to try and help us suspend our disbelief.

Just my $.02

Originally posted by DeusEx2
Hmm.. does your friend ;) mean that the cool action scenes (scripted or not scripted, I really don't care, as long as it's fun) won't be in the real game, or the specific locations/maps?

As far as my "friend" can tell, all the E3 specific locations/maps are different parts of different levels, only changed around. IE. he found the traptown area in one of the uncomplete parts of the few single player levels, only it's different.. if that made sense

See, folks, Headcrabs can contribute too. Great post, Strangelove.

Originally posted by Shuzer
As far as my "friend" can tell, all the E3 specific locations/maps are different parts of different levels, only changed around. IE. he found the traptown area in one of the uncomplete parts of the few single player levels, only it's different.. if that made sense

from what i have been able to "see" with my own eyes is that the e3 demo of phystown or traptown is just a different version of a single player map. i cant confirm that with the other e3 demos though it doesnt appear to be true for them.

Originally posted by Cyphron
from what i have been able to "see" with my own eyes is that the e3 demo of phystown or traptown is just a different version of a single player map. i cant confirm that with the other e3 demos though it doesnt appear to be true for them.

yes. all the e3 maps are different parts of other maps, I've seen them all
ah, but not allowed to talk about this stuff, so anyhow, back on topic.. point being, of course there will be scripted sequences, but not as many, and the ones that are there will be able to be more dynamic, I guess

All I know is that while some parts look unfinished, the finished polished parts (like in the E3 videos, and from the beta) have a lot of thought put into the environment, and if they think scripted sequences would be more fun in some parts, then they're probably right.

Like i said, HL1 had a TON of them, and it was an incredible game.

Originally posted by RandomPING
Like i said, HL1 had a TON of them, and it was an incredible game. [/B]

I agree with you. HL 2 will be a great game, with scripts or without. I put a lot of confidence on valve.

I agree with the forum post tittle, without some scripted events it would loose some charm. Alyx talking is a scripted event, get over it.

no clip

well the video u saw the guy was cheating if he wasnt u never would of noticed so dont cheat and there will be no probs

hmmmmm but VALVe. Y Steam that hits hard i would pay $300 AUD for hl2 that didnt have anything 2 do with steam:devil:

Originally posted by strangelove
If you truly doubt the capabilities of the valve programmers, I suggest you look at some of their past accomplishments, including the AI for the Thief games. These guys aren't n00bs. They have a long track record that predates half-life the first. I have no doubts we'll see some amazing things.

well, valve didn't develop thief.............unless you mean like one dev that worked on thief now works at valve...that's possible i suppose....

but Half-Life was Valve's first game.

(havent read the whole thread cause im short of time right now)

The most stupid of all things is that people actually belived that, after E3, that HL2 wasent supposed to have ANY scripted sequences, I know in another forum that people wrote like 'O my god, this is the first game where there are not going to be any scripts, that is so cool!'

That is so stupid to think like that, of course a singleplayer game that wants to be a good one uses scripts, I mean, if the AI would have been so smart so no scripts would have been required, then it would be imposible to complete it, right? (Cause some monster would just roll a large rock infront of some important passage, and then you cant go that way, and you must noclip, etc. etc. etc.)

(About thief, TTLG made that one and its sequel, the third one is being made by Ion Storm, the guys that will give you Deus Ex 2, gave you Deus Ex, Anachronx and Daikatana)

Back