This 'move objects and place objects' gun.

>>NoTarget<<

Reaction score
Hi

Why did they show this feature in the e32003 demo?

Picture

They will not have this cool stuff in the game anyway, is it just showoff and let the mod people do the work?

:afro:

It was there to give a demonstration of the physics, ragdoll, and how each object can float or sink, according to it's material.

Ok, tnx. It would be fun too play with the gun also. I wounder if valve will release the E32003 demo maps after HL2 release.

You can play with the maniuplater, which picks up objects and throws them. But that particular weapon (phygun) won't make into the game.

If not, you can rest assured that there will be 100s of maps made with the exact same idea, and some may even copy the whole map.

Harryz said:
You can play with the maniuplater, which picks up objects and throws them. But that particular weapon (phygun) won't make into the game.

Yes, byt manipulator gun shoots them, not place objects smooth :p

>>NoTarget<< said:
Actually, you can let them go instead of shooting them...

And I think it will be left in...as in, you can access it with the console...

would be nice to recieve it as an upgrade for your manipulator you can unlock after you get something un importand to the storyline done, as a sort of easteregg puzzle reward

I'm pretty certain that there's an e-mail from a Valve guy that states that the manipulator starts of as that physgun that we saw in E3 2003 and later on gets upgraded to the manipulator.

Even if that was true, I think it would be the other way around... although unable to shoot, the physgun is way better for long range and whatnot.

They'll have both. You don't spend time making two guns, and leaving them out of the game. Not everyone is as informed as us fanboys/girls are. They would be giving false hopes to the people who randomly decided to watch those videos and figured they would buy HL2 sometime, and don't participate in any community.

DeltaBlast said:
Even if that was true, I think it would be the other way around... although unable to shoot, the physgun is way better for long range and whatnot.
The manipulator is a lot more useful.

What's scarier:

"Ooh, there's a scientist with a big orange suit on running at me with a device which is holding a barrel."

or

"Ooh, there's a scientist with a big orange suit on running at me with a device that has the ability to propel the explosive barrel it's holding at me with such force the barrel would explode on impact with my face and I'd die"

Personally I shat myself after "Ooh, there's a scientist with a big orange suit on".

Chris_D said:
I'm pretty certain that there's an e-mail from a Valve guy that states that the manipulator starts of as that physgun that we saw in E3 2003 and later on gets upgraded to the manipulator.

Nope, the physgun wont make it into the game.

thefiznut said:
They'll have both. You don't spend time making two guns, and leaving them out of the game. Not everyone is as informed as us fanboys/girls are. They would be giving false hopes to the people who randomly decided to watch those videos and figured they would buy HL2 sometime, and don't participate in any community.

Wrong newbie, why would you bother arguing with all these people who have been following from day one?

I'm pretty sure Munro is right, it won't make it into the game. Gabe did say the manipulator would be upgraded throughout the game, but I don't think it start out as the physgun. I know fro a fact that in the beta they were two different weapons, and the physgun doesn't even have it's own model.

iamaelephant said:
Wrong newbie, why would you bother arguing with all these people who have been following from day one?

I'm pretty sure Munro is right, it won't make it into the game. Gabe did say the manipulator would be upgraded throughout the game, but I don't think it start out as the physgun. I know fro a fact that in the beta they were two different weapons, and the physgun doesn't even have it's own model.
Don't call people newbies, there is an e-mail that indicates both make it into the game

Munro said:
Nope, the physgun wont make it into the game.

it could still be in the game somewhere, even if its not part of the normal single player experiance.

do you think valve will put it in the multiplayer?, or allow it to be activated with a weapon cheat.

I could see them doing that, in their shoes If I knew my the fans would enjoy it, and it was applicable, I would'nt hesitate,

I hope so :)

Chris_D said:
Don't call people newbies, there is an e-mail that indicates both make it into the game

You guys should organize the "info from valve" thread into an online database or something. Like have all of the info regarding physics in one area and another about graphics in another. Right now, it is impossible to search through the "info from Valve" thread and find anything you are looking for.

Find and pay a coder to do it, and it's done :p

Chris_D said:

Greg Coomer disagrees:

Greg Coomer said:
Somebody asked: Will that beam-physgun from the 2003 techdemo be in the final game? Is it available to Modders?

No & probably not. But a Mod could build one fairly easily in Source.

Chris_D said:
The manipulator is a lot more useful.

What's scarier:

"Ooh, there's a scientist with a big orange suit on running at me with a device which is holding a barrel."

or

"Ooh, there's a scientist with a big orange suit on running at me with a device that has the ability to propel the explosive barrel it's holding at me with such force the barrel would explode on impact with my face and I'd die"

Personally I shat myself after "Ooh, there's a scientist with a big orange suit on".

I think it's "Hmm.. I don't see any scientist with a big orange suit, but I do see a barrel swining at me from a beam that originates some kilometres away, and it will probably hit me and I will die." :p

Someone just asked but you guys have ignored him so....(no offence ;) )
What is the difference? between the manipulator and the physgun?

you could weld things together with the physgun. THAT was the cool thing with it. Also that you could choose where to locate the beam to pick stuff up... like pick the combine up by one foot... the manipulator seems to only pick up stuff in one way.

Brian Damage said:
Greg Coomer disagrees:
Hmm there is an e-mail that states otherwise. They've either changed their mind since they said it was in or vice versa.

Chris_D said:
Find and pay a coder to do it, and it's done :p

I'll need webspace, and PHP/MySQL support. And a lot of free time, which I just happen to have.

Edit: Also, no pay is required... Though, if I could put google ads on it it would help me out a lot.

In my eyes, it's not even really worth it...mostly since by the time you finish there will more than likely be only a couple weeks left until it's released.

I'm actually pretty sure Brian Damage is right Chris D, I have never seen an email that states the phys gun makes it into the game. I suppose we will have to wait and see, because I can't imagine anyone could be bothered going through that entire thread looking for an email that could or could not be there. ;)

A database for the info thread would be rather easy: a form in which you could ask a question and it responds with "Maybe. But certainly possible in a mod!"

Could God make a burrito so big even He couldn't eat it?

Sure, he could do it in a mod.

I have attained the rank of Bullsquid! Hooray!

*bullsquid dance*

[guess how I got there]

Hm... judging by your COMPLETELY OFFTOPIC post... by spamming? Being part of a community means much more than your post count. Try to only post when it's meaningful to do so.

well if it does in fact make it in the game somehow, i do hope they upgrade that ugly blue line into something more polished.

Yeah that gun would be fun to use.. but meh we still have the manipulator =D

ZombieBudgie said:
Hm... judging by your COMPLETELY OFFTOPIC post... by spamming? Being part of a community means much more than your post count. Try to only post when it's meaningful to do so.

Offtopic? Did you read the previous page? Perhaps I should have quoted.

Oh yes, almost forgot to add...

Zombie loser! :p This is you --> :dork:

ZombieBudgie said:
LOL you dont knwo spam check out how many posts i have and look when i joined ;)

sHm0zY said:
LOL you dont knwo spam check out how many posts i have and look when i joined ;)

and you don't know periods. I had to read your line twice to see you're not talking about any 'spam check'.

[irony level increasing]

>>NoTarget<< said:

I think the manip controls are like:

click LMB and hold = pick up
RMB = shoot/throw
Let go of LMB before shoting = drop the object

Back