Time progression in the HL series. *SPOILERS*

Apocalypse89

Reaction score
I was bored...so I thought up this theory on how much time progressed during and between the HL games. This, of course refers to story-wise time rather than gameplay time, so I'll be relying on the sky seens in-game as well as whatever dialogue helps me tell how much time has gone by. Also, I'll be concentrating on Gordon's adventure, so no Op4 or BS time.

*Half-Life 1*

-Gordon boards the train to Sector C slightly before 8:37 AM, ie morning.

-Resonance Cascade occurs. Gordon is teleported around and knocked out for anything from several minutes to a few hours.

-By the time Gordon wakes up, tries to escape, and glimpses the surface for the first time, it's already late afternoon.

-Next glimpse of surface occurs when Gordon launches the satellite array, which is at night.

-Gordon is knocked out by HECU troops early morning. Wakes up and escapes from the trash compactor around 15-30 minutes later.(I can't imagine those soldiers dragging Gordon around for more than that)

-Residue Processing and Questionable Ethics occur as the morning progresses. Probably approaching noon by th time of Surface Tension.

-Last glimpse of surface occurs in "Forget about Freeman!", in which it still seems to be noon or early afternoon.

-Difficult to tell when the game ends in Earth time(since Gordon spends the last few hours underground and in Xen), but I'd say maybe late afternoon.

Total time taken: Around a day and a half, or 36 hours.

*Half-Life 1 ends*

Around 20 years go by while Gordon is in stasis. The Portal Storms and 7 Hour War go by, and the subsequent Combine occupation begins.

*Half-Life 2*

-Gordon arrives in City 17 at morning.

-By the time it takes for him to escape the city and arrive at BME, it's late afternoon.

-Gordon spends the night in Ravenholm.

-Gordon spends all the daylight hours getting from Shorepoint base(I think that's what it's called) to Nova Prospekt.

-Gordon and Alyx teleport out of Nova Prospekt around midnight or so.

*Week passes as Alyx and Gordon are in slow teleport. Street war begins.*

-Alyx and Gordon arrive in City 17 a week later, early in the afternoon.

-By the time it takes for Gordon to fight through C17, infiltrate the Citadel, and destroy the Dark Energy Reactor, the sun is about to set.

Total time taken(from Gordon's perspective): Around 2 days or 48 hours.

*Half-Life 2 ends*

Now this is the difficult part...how much time between HL2 and Episode One? It can't be a few hours, because then it would already be night. The sun seems pretty low in the sky, so it's either morning or afternoon. At the end of Lowlife, Alyx is relieved that she and Gordon made it out "before dark", so the only choice left is afternoon. Once again, it can't be the same afternoon that HL2 ended in, as Alyx has been looking for Gordon for several hours. Thefore, my conclusion is that at least an entire day has passed between HL2 and Ep. 1.

*Half-Life 2: Episode One*

-Alyx is transported out of the Citadel, and wakes up in the surrounding rubble noon or early afternoon the next day.

-Gordon wakes up and is found several hours later, while it is still afternoon.

-It seems that the entire Episode takes place over the course of a few hours, since the color of the sky and position of the sun barely change throughout.

Total time taken: 4-5 hours?

*Half-Life 2: Episode One ends*

We can assume that Alyx and Gordon spent the night unconscious in the crashed train, seeing how it's clear daylight by the time Episode Two begins. Pretty lucky for them to not be found by The Combine or roaming monsters during that time.

Half-Life 2: Episode Two

-Gordon wakes up in the train some time before noon the next day (difficult to tell since the sky is overcast for a large portion of the episode). Alyx had already been up for a while before that.

-Several hours pass as Gordon saves Alyx in the Antlion tunnels, fights his way through the zombie-infested warehouse complex, gets the car, and makes his way to the resistance base with the garage. By the time he disables the autogun and sets off for White Forest, it's early afternoon.

-Afternoon goes by as Gordon and Alyx reach White Forest and protect it against both the Combine breach and the Strider assault.

-Episode ends late afternoon, but not nearly at sunset.

Total time taken: around 9 hours.

*Half-Life 2: Episode Two ends*

So what do you think about the timeline? And how much time do you think it'll be between Episodes 2 and 3? That helicopter ride is bound to take at least a few hours...

So... The One True Free Man has been awake and moving, in his mind for 98 hours. That's almost 5 days. That's one tough son of a...

And then you have Barney, who was leading the Street War and must have been up and about for an entire week lol.

8 hours approx pass between HL2 and EP1; certainly no more than that. EP1 kicks off early morning.

If that is so, then why does Alyx mention how relieved she is that you reached the surface before dark at the beginning of Urban Flight? Seems to imply that it's pretty late in the day.

Because you were in the Citadel and underground for about 12 hours believe it or not.

so then gordon must rest everytime he gets hit in the head (by the black ops in hl1 and metrocops in hl2) :E

The teleport back to City 17 is way early in the morning, closest we spend to a night in City 17!

Look when you first leave Dr. Kleiner's lab with Dog. The sky. No sun anywhere up there? It's very low in the sky, barely up.

But other then that, a pretty good guide.

If that's the case, then it's pretty strange for the day to progress straight from morning to afternoon.

And yeah, I like to think that Gordon gets a bit of rest whenever he gets knocked out. I also believe that he is "restored" each time the he is put into stasis by the G-Man.

If that is so, then why does Alyx mention how relieved she is that you reached the surface before dark at the beginning of Urban Flight? Seems to imply that it's pretty late in the day.

I think it was just a passing comment. I mean, I imagine it's about 12/1pm when they finally get out of the Citadel and the underground. Why? Because the slug through City 17 is just as long, and it's even then some time before it even shows a hint of going dark. Episode 1 is a full day, and only 8 or so hours pass between it and HL2.

With everything that's been happening I think it's plausible that they would lose track of time. When Alyx turned and said that about making it out before dark I actualy felt at the time that she was referencing the fact that we'd just been through a long section of dark. Almost like a nod to the player to say 'don't worry you get to see some light now'. Still, that's my own personal take and it may be a direct reference to time I guess.

my conclusion is that at least an entire day has passed between HL2 and Ep. 1.

8 hours approx pass between HL2 and EP1; certainly no more than that.

However long it is there has to be enough time for Mossman and Eli to get to White Forest, for Mossman to go north, find the Borialis and make the Transmission (with the hidden Borialis tape).

Back