Tips for Modeling Guns... ?

V

Vage

Anyone have any pointers for an aspiring 3D artist? I'd like to model some really cool firearms, but I'm lost as to where to start the process. I'll be using Lightwave because it's the package that's available to me. I've also just finished Dan Ablan's "Inside Lightwave [8]" and found it to be pretty helpful because I've got the interface in Lightwave pretty much down. Thanks for any replys!

not too familiar with lightwave but, i'm sure the process is the same as 3ds. Grab as many ref photos as you can find. from as many different angles so yo can get proportions down. then lay out a side view ref on a plane in lighwave and go from there. Most people start out box modeling (primitve box shape, then add onto that.

What if I happen to have access to a replica in real life, perhaps borrow a digital camera and take different angles? Also, Isn't Box Modeling for subpatches...

start simple and build up, same way with drawing. If you dont have the basic shape down your going to end up adding way to much geometry to conpensate for the lack of a good foundation model for your project.

well if you gather the referance so much the bettre, just means that you have access to details 90% of the general public doesnt.

I'm not familiar with lightwave either but Boxmodeling is usualy used in other programs for fairly low geometry models. Perfect for starting out a project involving primitive ploliginal geometry.

I know nothing of Lightwave, but I've played with both 3DS Max and Maya and I created a Beretta Model 96. It looked decent to me, but horrible compared to others' works. Just a tip, when you implement you gun, see what it looks like if you put the ejection port on the right side of the weapon.

For instance, if you actually hold an M4A1, the ejection port is on the right (the unseeable side), as well as the bolt. I noticed in CS:S that ALL the models are backward and the ejection port is on the left side. If a righthanded shooter holds a gun with the port on the left, he/she will get pegged in the face with hot brass.

Doing this will have two positives. It will look more realistic, and it will be less difficult to do. However, it doesn't show off animation abilities.

Just a thought from a real life shooter.

Back