Tips for raising the fps in my map?

COALslaw

Reaction score
The basic map runs at a steady 70 frames, but there are parts in my map that slip down to the 30s and even the mid-ranged 20s. Does anyone have any tips?

Try making buildings func_detail, and add the nodraw text to sides of brushes that won't be seen in game. also when making displacment terrain only choose one side of the brush. use func_areaportals for doors and windows.hope this helps some

I noticed that it is ALWAYS best to build brushes with 'measure' textures on it. Even if you are 100% sure what kind of texture you put on each side etc... and afterwards put right textures on it.

here's the reason:

When you build arches and stuff, there's lots of 'hidden' faces on brush. And if you build it with for example concrete texture, it applies this concrete texture to those 'hidden' faces also. But when you build it with measure textures and apply concrete textures afterwards, you dont need to worry about those hidden faces..

And after you have builded whole frigging map. Just replace all measure textures with nodraw texture. And you wont need to find/apply those nodraws anywhere youself. Thats how you you get ALL hidden textures set as nodraw.

hope you understood what i meant :angel:

Viceman said:
I noticed that it is ALWAYS best to build brushes with 'measure' textures on it. Even if you are 100% sure what kind of texture you put on each side etc... and afterwards put right textures on it.

here's the reason:

When you build arches and stuff, there's lots of 'hidden' faces on brush. And if you build it with for example concrete texture, it applies this concrete texture to those 'hidden' faces also. But when you build it with measure textures and apply concrete textures afterwards, you dont need to worry about those hidden faces..

And after you have builded whole frigging map. Just replace all measure textures with nodraw texture. And you wont need to find/apply those nodraws anywhere youself. Thats how you you get ALL hidden textures set as nodraw.

hope you understood what i meant :angel:

This is great to get the outsides of your map covered with it - BUT - It's not needed for "hidden" faces. Hammer merges those for you when you compile, so there's no need to put nodraw on so called hidden faces, e.g. when two walls meet.

no draw textures on crap you cant see and hint brushes

Dead-Inside, I thought that only happened to faces that touched.

Back