To those who finished it - how long did it take?

M

Manny

I'm very curious about this. I'm rather surprised there's people who finished it already, actually. I'm getting a little weary of short games to be honest - it seems like in the olden days of gaming you could spend weeks fiddling your way through adventures or space sims or RPGs. The past year or so, however, there's been a lot of shooters that took like ten hours, which in my opinion is too short. You can play through that in a weekend, friday to monday. Where's the vast epics like Deus Ex (which, granted, wasn't a true shooter)?

Anyway...I was a little taken aback at first to hear most reviewers finished the game in less than twenty hours, but then of course that's not too short. In another thread, though, I see someone mention he finished it in six hours, which sounds ridiculously short and not like the epic Valve said the game would be. I'm wondering how long it's taking others.

Hyperbole coupled with the fact that he's a complete lunatic means that he's probably lying about the six hours.

It's been longer than that for me, about 12-13 hours so far, and I haven't finished it yet.

Took me about 17 hours altogether. Certainly didn't feel short, and I'm glad they didn't just add filler or repeat things to make it seem it was longer. :)

Hyperbole is probably right because it took me 6 or 7 hours to complete...and a tediously repetetive 7hours full of much arcadey-console style shooter action *yawn*

took me about 10 hours yesterday and about 4 hours today.

started yesterday at around half eight, stopped for an hour for lunch, played until 8 in the evening, an hour for dinner, then played until about half one in the morning...so that's about 14 hours on the first day :eek: which is intense!

and today i started at around 9ish, finished at around half twelve, so around 3 hours today.

17 hours in total. not bad actually. i reckon i could've spread it out over the course of a couple of weeks if i had been busy this week.

I took about 15 hours

gonna play it again when I have another period of time

Let's see...
2 hours Tuesday night.
Maybe 4-5 hours on Wednesday and Thursday.
Less than 3 hours today.
So in total that makes about 12-15 hours for me. I was playing on medium btw.

:) It was a good 12-15 hours too.

Not sure if I'm close. I'm at the top of the tower trying to stop
breen from transporting but don't know how. Help

Zento said:
Somehow I find that exeedingly hard to believe :angry: :sleep:
i think he means he stopped at 10 hours (not finished yet). then he played the last 4 hours the next day

16-17 hours. I'd wonder if anyone finishing it quicker found the skill adjustment. I was exploring everywhere but not exactly dawdling.

16-17 hours here too. Playing on medium and exploring almost every part of the game!

Paul_Wakefield said:
Hyperbole is probably right because it took me 6 or 7 hours to complete...and a tediously repetetive 7hours full of much arcadey-console style shooter action *yawn*
dont play with the cheats on then :p

It took me about 16 hours, that's a lot longer than most FPS's take me, and for the most part new things kept getting thrown at you, which kept it exciting.

14 hours on easy, going at steady pace. 6 hours would be very very fast.

well i played it for a good 16 hours i reckon.

im happy with the length, hell i was even happy with max payne 2 that took just 8 hours for me to complete on hard.

KagePrototype said:
Took me about 17 hours altogether. Certainly didn't feel short, and I'm glad they didn't just add filler or repeat things to make it seem it was longer. :)

The only [FPS] game I've seen that has as little repitition as HL2 is HL1.

Paul_Wakefield said:
6-7 hours? Christ. If you want to enjoy a game, you don't rush through it as fast as you can.

vertthrasher said:
It took me about 17 hours.

same here, about 17 hours and I took as long as I could... :(

played on Hard.

then again no matter how long it was I would still wish it were longer.

I think the length was fine regardless, it did what it set out to do... sure its not the 45 hour game Gabe initially said it would be, but Im glad there was no repetition either.

tuesday 11/16: about 5 hours of playtime
wednesday 11/17: about 3 hours of playtime
thursday 11/18: about 2 hours of playtime
friday 11/19: about 6 hours of playtime

took me about 16 hours, stuck at that hidden valve, at the broken valve for about 5 mins, somewhere in ravenholm,
and some other places, not much tho.

20ish hours on Hard. I did tend to wank about too much on the vehicle levels so that accounted for most of the time. And it was a bit too easy overall and a bit too overkill in others... The Nova Prospect and Generator parts were Serious Sam homages.

Took me 23 hours and 25 minutes on hard. I took my time and I also reloaded tons of saves, I like to replay fights untill I can either win with no health loss or very little loss. I'm going to start replaying it now with the strat guide from my gold package and see if I missed anything.

Got HL2 on Thursday and played for three hours. Continued on Friday after I got out of school and played for 10 hours or so (went to bed at three AM). Continued on Saturday (woke up at 2PM) and finished by 10PM. I guess that makes ~21 hours. To me it seemed about as long as HL1. I was afraid the game would end at Nova Prospekt when Ely and the woman teleported away :p Btw I played at Normal and explored all the places quite thoroughly.

It felt like the longest game I ever played, probably due to the different environments.. wich is a good thing.

I played on hard, it took me between 17-20 hours, and yes, I'm a fast player.

medium - 20 hours or so. I dont play fast, I look around alot.

24 hours, I soaked every motherfooking thing up :D

Almost 30 hours, not because it was hard but I was using all the possibilities i could.

Tuesday I played for 5 hours
Wednesday I played for 4 hours
Thursday I played for 4 hours
Friday and I played for 2 hours
Saturday I played for 3 hours
Today I played for 2 hours
I used cheats a couple times just to find out what to do, and then I would play through it without cheats.

Foxtrot said:
Tuesday I played for 5 hours
Wednesday I played for 4 hours
Thursday I played for 4 hours
Friday and I played for 2 hours
Saturday I played for 3 hours
Today I played for 2 hours
I used cheats a couple times just to find out what to do, and then I would play through it without cheats.

For shame......

Baal said:
For shame......
I got stuck on that Ant Lion gaurd in sand traps, I thought I had to solve some sort of puzzle to kill it and after about 20 failed attempts I turned on god mode and just unloaded on it and figured out that is how to do it.

aboot 20 hours. I played it on hard, and died alot.

I've played for 35 hours, and I'm halfway. (Beginning of Nova Prospect)

took me about 8-10 hours at medium and I'm not the type to look around like crazy but wasn't rushing at all

Back