To Use MP SDK or SP SDK?

C

CousinPhil

I've been really eager to get started on multiplayer modding for HL2 for some time now and now that I've finished the game and have all my notes together I wanted to get right to it. Since I don't have Visual Studio 2003, I decided to use my VC++ 6.0 for compiling. Now, I go to Steam -> Create a Mod, and then it asks me to select either "Modify Half-Life 2" or "Start from scratch." Since I'm making a multiplayer mod, I decided to choose "Start from scratch." Now, for some reason it feels like something is messed up whenever I try to get the mod to run with my changes. However, I also think I recall hearing people saying that the singleplayer SDK (Modify HL2) is better for making multiplayer mods than the MP SDK. Can someone shed some light on all of this for me, please. Thanks!

For multiplayer mod, no SP is not better.

Actually, the SP mod contains everything in HL2 (plus more like weapons not included in the game, but for which you still have to work if you want them), but no network code (not included at least).

The MP mod is networked enabled, perfect for a multiplayer mod but contains nothing from half life2. If you create it, compile and launch, you will have no sound, no entities others then the mp5, shotgun, grenade and player.

In the MP code, there IS actually the code for HL2 weapons and entities, but excluded from build, and needing some modifications to be included in the MP mod.

If you use VC6, you'll need a project converter from VS2003 to VC6, then it'll work correctly.

To launch your mod (once compiled and linked without errors), check in the mod_dir/mod_dir/bin thet the dlls are up to date, (check file date/time), and use the run_mod.bat located in mod_dir/

It should work.

Hope it helps ;)

vk phoenix, if you code, would you be intrested in joining a dev team ?

for a TC, or MP + SP modification, it is easier to start with the MP mod, since you can much more easily create the SP interface then the MP.

plus you have a lot less house cleaning to do on the MP.

Back