Torchlight 2 Open Beta weekend

Stigmata

The Freeman
Reaction score
the email I got said:
Hi, Welcome to the Torchlight II Beta Weekend!

The Torchlight II Beta Weekend event starts on Friday, May 18th at 11:00am PDT and lasts until Tuesday, May 22nd at 11:00am PDT. You can start downloading and installing the Torchlight II Beta client now but you will not be able to log in until the start of the Beta Weekend event.
Your key is already linked to your Runic Account. You can access your Runic account at https://secure***nicgames.com. If you have any issues logging in or creating your account, please contact us at [email protected].
Here is your Beta Weekend Key: BACK OFF, GET YOUR OWN SANDWICH

- Go here: https://secure***nicgames.com/dashboard
- Create a Runic Games account
- You will probably get a key very quickly

It ends Tuesday morning, so the ending will be a bit softer on late-night gamers than Diablo 3's beta weekend.

GET LEVELLED, SON

Nice. Thanks, brah. I've been thinking about buying this. I'm sure the beta will help me decide.

Excellent! I'm definitely looking forward to this, hopefully I manage to get in.

Nice. Hope I get the key. Planning on getting the game anyway when I get some cash to play with, but this'll be a cool taster!

Apparently, people are finding beta keys in their Runic accounts without having received an email. Check your Runic account if you've already made one!

Got in and played a bit as engineer, seems solid but it gets real confusing real fast when people join. I was questing with two other people and having them plus two extra pets dashing around is just information overload. After a while I was just clicking randomly to lock on to monsters because I couldn't tell if there were any left alive after the initial barrage. I'll play some more and see if it gets better.

Got in. Let's plays let's play let's play letsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplayletsplay

vCJZ

Got in and played a bit as engineer, seems solid but it gets real confusing real fast when people join. I was questing with two other people and having them plus two extra pets dashing around is just information overload. After a while I was just clicking randomly to lock on to monsters because I couldn't tell if there were any left alive after the initial barrage. I'll play some more and see if it gets better.

Didn't even think of this, but it makes sense. Maybe they should disable pets in Co-Op and MP. I can't remember how important Pets were in the first...

Playing this now by myself and it's so much fun. It feels like Torchlight but still improves in so many ways. Very enjoyable. I think I'll buy this.

Pr
Didn't even think of this, but it makes sense. Maybe they should disable pets in Co-Op and MP. I can't remember how important Pets were in the first...
Pretty much for sending dead weight to town to sell for gold. Mine's actually been pretty helpful on Very Hard with enemies.

Picked the Engineer. Game plays a lot more smoothly than the first.

At first my opinion of this was, "well it's better than Diablo 3, but... ehh..."

Then I switched from playing alone on Veteran to playing with Shamrock on Elite, and it was even more fun than I thought it had potential for. The art style grows on you quickly, and, being even more cartoony than D3, allows for great variation in the design of enemies and items. Triple-barreled ice pistol? Yeah, you can get that by level 12 (if you're an Outlander, of course).

There are a bunch of minor things I dislike, mostly to do with:
- the text-heavy and tab-crazy nature of the UI
- occasional frustrations with the standard ARPG control scheme (see: accidentally running into mobs as ranged)
- the absolute lack of skill queueing; if you press a skill button after an attack/skill's effects are unleashed, but before the animation finishes, it won't trigger at all

But aside from that, everything seems great. Skills are interesting and varied, and it's fun being forced to play tactically. Looking forward to finishing the beta quests tomorrow, or perhaps even through Monday if that last boss battle is anything to go by...

Mostly for offloading your loot in town for you, like Willie said. They do give you a bit of backup with mobs but they're also kind of weak, especially in higher difficulties, and "die" often (which doesn't actually kill them, just makes them run around uselessly until they regain some health). They also cast any spells you equip on them automatically, which is handy for things like heals and summons that I always forget to cast. Only new thing I've noticed is you can get them to bring you back potions and scrolls from town.

Played it a bit more and, while still chaotic at times, I'm really liking the combat. Everything has a really nice, smooth, weighty feel to it. Attacks and spells all have a wind-up to them which makes them feel a little more tactical, but also more satisfying when they connect. It's a small touch but it makes everything that much more interesting. Your character moves around at a good pace too, which makes getting around dungeons feel less tedious, especially when backtracking to cover in that one little unmapped region on your minimap (hnnnggg). Some nice UI touches too, like making right-click-versus-shift-click universal and putting consumables in their own seperate inventory. Few things need to be polished some more of course (Stig pointed em out mostly), and I've encountered some bugs, but that's all to be expected. Essentially it seems like Torchlight except bigger, deeper and more polished. Considering the price point I can't imagine that I won't be buying this.

I didn't play the original but is there a way to remove items from weapon sockets?

In the original there were to NPC's who either destroyed items to recover the socketed gems or destroyed the gems in sockets. I was surprised to not find either of these in TL2.

Edit: They appear after saving the Water Guardian (?)

Shameless double post:

Would any of you be interested in a four-pack? And how is the US price compared to the EU one (19€)?

I believe the US price is $20.

points and laughs at Euro prices, then feels sad about them

I'm down for a fourpack.

I really like the engineer's summon tree. Probably going to be my most played class.

I like the warrior's shadow tree a lot.

Mage seems really boring, honestly.

Ranger is pretty cool, but I don't like ranged characters in Hack&Slash (accidentally clicking the ground when meaning to target an enemy brings you closer to them subsequently giving you more damage.)

Chick with akimbos to hell and back. She's beast. Lara Croft of this aRPG shit, yo.

I'm down with Tupac. Nah but seriously the games seems fun as hell but nothing special. Then again, it's a genre defined by nothing special.

I'll buy it when I have even a tiny budget for vidya.

Don't forget that mod tools are being released :D

Oh? That's actually really awesome. Cheap and actually offering PC gamers our formerly most beloved feature in games. Maybe I'll spare some cash for it.

Yeah but that's why he's upset, hence the rambling rants. BHC should be a blogger.

If anyone is up, I know I'm new and everything but I'm up for a 4 pack. Got one char to 20, the other to 14 and another to 8. It's super fun, loving it and can't wait for it to come out already!

There's such a shit load of mods for TL1. Can't wait to see what people make for TL2. Probably the same old shit, but y'know.

So I guess we'll be splitting a 4-pack with ZT, Stigmata, Sham and me? Which United States of America dweller would like to be honored to execute the purchase?

Enjoying it so far, not had much time to play but I'm level 18 playing the ranged magicky class. Be good to play with some others over summer!

/Just spent 60 dollars on Diablo 3...

I am an annual WoW pass holder paid for by my lovely parents as a gift. Even if I did buy D3 out of hype and was subsequently low on funds I'm not sure why that's a big deal. I'm just doing my thing.

Yeah but that's why he's upset, hence the rambling rants. BHC should be a blogger.

Is this a complement? If so, thanks. If not, thanks regardless.

So I guess we'll be splitting a 4-pack with ZT, Stigmata, Sham and me? Which United States of America dweller would like to be honored to execute the purchase?
Seeing as only ZT and myself are actually from the US, it's up to us. I don't mind doing it as I have purchased 4 packs before. If ZT wants to, he can as well. Whatever you guys WANNA DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm all for someone other than me buying it :V

Do international bank transfers cost money? If so I'll probably be repaying whoever buys it with Steam Wallet funds and/or a steam game.

Well then it's up to ZT and Sham to decide which one buys it. :)

How much does the 4-pack cost in dollars, by the way?

Only had a quick half-hour blast with the beta, but it was much more enjoyable than Diablo. Got to finish Diablo though....

Alright, I am doing it so long as I get my dollaz first.
It is 59.99 for the 4 pack, which means $15.00 per person. (Which will actually amount to $60.00, but if you pay $14.99 it will amount to $59.96, subsequently making me pay an extra 4 cents. So just pay the extra cent you cheap asses!)

Stigmata, Sham, and Edeslash who has paypal and who doesn't?

Yeah I have PayPal. I think we got a four-pack of E.Y.E. with Garg and ... someone last year. I just noticed that we also get copies of Torchlight, cool. Gifting time.

$15.00 is about 11,50€. So I'm getting it at almost half price. Sweet.

Got this through a four-pack myself.

Hope to get to play the final version in multiplayer with some other netters.

Stig, do you have a paypal? You cannot trade steam wallet funds unfortunately..

I want to get this game! But due to not having a job and being a full time college student, looks like I will have to wait. :(

Back