Touchscreen for Nintendo Revolution!

Reaction score
The April issue of GameInformer reports that the Revolution will use a touchscreen for a controller (doesn't even have analoge sticks). This information comes from a "source at a major development studio".

This is either complete flop or complete "revolution" if true. What do you think?

I'll be a little concerned if this is true. This certainly wouldn't count as a 'revolution' - after all, the DS was there first.

I'm not impressed really. Not sure what to think.

Meh.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the ol' touchscreen.

Well it depends what they mean. Perhaps a touchscreen/pad intead of analogue sticks? Now that could be interesting. I'll have to check the issue out.

if this is true (which dear god i hope not)... it's not revolutionary and will alienate 3rd party developers because of the extra development costs to make a version to cope with the controls (or lack of) and they don't really want to do that.

this can't be it, though. Nintendo said the only reason they didn't want to release stuff on the Revolution is cause they thought other companies would steal it... the DS is already out; they could steal the idea now if they wanted

Also, if this is true, this would be the first time i'm not going to buy a nintendo system at launch and that this console will be throughily disappointing. Microsoft or Sony would get my money.

But... we'll just have to wait for E3 :)

Direwolf said:
Well it depends what they mean. Perhaps a touchscreen/pad intead of analogue sticks? Now that could be interesting. I'll have to check the issue out.

never thought of that... that'd rock... but making slight adjustments (sniping in a FPS, sneaking in Splinter Cell) would be difficult

I dont see nothing bad whit the touchscreen

why you say is a "flop"?

Direwolf said:

That actually could be cool.

Good thing Nintendo systems don't have many FPSs on them, because a touchscreen is death for an FPS.

It's a bad idea in my opinion.

Haven't read much on it but I assume the Revolution is Nintendo's next-generation console? If that's the case do they really expect people to sit two inches from their screens and mauling it for hours on end?

Foxtrot said:
Good thing Nintendo systems don't have many FPSs on them, because a touchscreen is death for an FPS.

I think it will be better that a thumbstick

as direwolf say a touchscreen/pad maybe will be good to fps cuz will be similiar to a mouse

Chris_D said:
It's a bad idea in my opinion.

Haven't read much on it but I assume the Revolution is Nintendo's next-generation console? If that's the case do they really expect people to sit two inches from their screens and mauling it for hours on end?
no :|

touchscreen = controller... not the screen you play on

Have you played Metroid Hunters for DS? That is the most responsive console shooter I have ever played. I could honestly target anything in seconds.

EDIT: Sorry, that was for Foxtrot.

why everybody say that a FPS on a touchscreen will suck?

People, people April issue, come on you guys you're just sad.

thehunter1320 said:
no :|

touchscreen = controller... not the screen you play on
Even so... what's the point?

<RJMC> said:
why everybody say that a FPS on a touchpad will suck?
Why? Because there's no way that it couldn't suck. Go and play a FPS on a laptop that has a touchscreen and you'll see exactly what I mean. Some great 'innovation' there, Nintendo... I can see it jacking their controller prices up a fair bit, too.

GhostBoi said:
People, people April issue, come on you guys you're just sad.
I assume you're trying to say that this is some kind of fake beacuse it's an April fools edition. Game magazines often have their latest releases dated as next month's 'issue', plus a big magazine wouldn't really risk a fakery like that.

I have a feeling this is not Ninty's big plan. This is purely rumour. All we know about the Revolution so far is that it's online and will be Revolutionary.

These are the only cold hard facts available at the moment. I know several magazines that said the DS wouldn't have a D-pad until they saw it at E3. Magazines can often hype rumours beyond their original truthfulness. As can forum goers....:p

You know what might be a good idea. Have a touch screen for the buttons. Have the standard analog sticks, yet have the face buttons which can be moved around for easier use by the enduser, and completely and each game would have their own controls layout. I really doubt they would have a touchscreeen movement controls... Then again its the april edition.

SearanoX said:
Revolution information would appear online long before it did in magazines.

What? Mags always get the hot stuff!

HL2? COD2? TES: Oblivian?

Basically any hot news item the print guys manage to nab as an exclusive.

Reginald said:
Have you played Metroid Hunters for DS? That is the most responsive console shooter I have ever played. I could honestly target anything in seconds.

EDIT: Sorry, that was for Foxtrot.

speak for yourself :|

Totally right. Nintendo would tear them a new asshole.
Well would 2 assholes be bad?
I mean think of the positives, you could shit faster... You could be taking 2 shits at once.... So is that really a bad thing?

Ok nm..

No news has been released...i'll wait till more news comes.

I've tried playing FPS games on my laptop with the touchpad .... just no. It pales in comparision to a regular mouse and even analog sticks.

I'm not sure what this is really. If they're just replacing the analog sticks with touchpads then its stupid. If the entire controller is a touch-sensitive screen, then it would essentially allow developers to create their own controller models for each game. Could be very interesting.

How about you all wait to pass judgement until they demo it at E3.

satch919 said:
How about you all wait to pass judgement until they demo it at E3.

Nope! That's not how forums work.

INSTANT JUDGEMENT!

DarkStar said:
Nope! That's not how forums work.

INSTANT JUDGEMENT!
heh.

Rumour: Nintendo controller will use a touch screen interface instead of traditional buttons and analog stick.

Reaction: OMGZ0rZ ToocH ScREEns S00k aNd NEinTendO aR3 Teh fl0Pz0rz.

Seriously if Nintendo is going to use touch screens couldn't people even consider that Nintendo could make sure that they would actually work for gaming? Besides what is so different between using a touch screen and a regular controller for developers?

Overall Nintendo's hardware has always been the most ergonomic and easy to use out of the consoles. I can't see Revolution being any different.
(The Virtual Boy will not by mentioned by anyone under penalty of pineapple)

God I miss the n64 controller... ;(

I can't wait to see this touch screen controller...if it's real.

Direwolf said:
under penalty of pineapple

That sounds fun.

*clears throat*
Oooooh. Direwolf. What about the Virtual Boy? That had some pretty awesome ergonomics huh?
Really easy to use! Possibly the most ergonomic ergonomics I've ever encountered. Oooooh, Direwolf pwned!
*sits down*

:dozey: Pssh, touchscreen, now that's lame. Something revolutionary would be a controller that folds out into a keyboard and have a wireless mouse to come with.

Maybe Nintendo released this rumor to the magazine and let it spread to get gamer responses. Remember, they said that they haven't completely decided which features they want to implement in the Revolution yet.

Axyon said:
Why? Because there's no way that it couldn't suck. Go and play a FPS on a laptop that has a touchscreen and you'll see exactly what I mean. Some great 'innovation' there, Nintendo... I can see it jacking their controller prices up a fair bit, too.
Are you talking about a touch-pad? I've been using a laptop for months because of redecoration + pc upgrades + various other reasons, and i've had to get used to the touchpad for playing FPS games. It's actually pretty easy. I'm kinda scared of going back to a mouse now.

seriously is that you all hate nintendo or what?

there comes a news about a new implement in theyr next gen console (ofcourse you all say that this can be fake,I remenber a videogame webpage make something similiar and it was a handeld of microsoft called Lbox lol) and is something that can work very good and you all

"o its gonna flopzor"

when we dont even know the details

babyheadcrab said:
speak for yourself :|

Have you tried hunters? The stylus makes aiming ten times easier and somewhat resembles a mouse. I'd prefer it over a thumbstick any day of the week.

As for the revolution, I seriously hope it doesn't turn into some sort of Virtual Boy.

Back