Truth on the combine whereabouts, all the story/info

S

sam_justice

In the game we are introduced to the Combine. While we have been gone it seems that they invaded and took control of earth. Their citadels slowly consuming earths resources and changing the atmosphere to unbreathable standards. Breen is the human representitive for the Combine and has been given alot of power. The name 'Combine' is not the name of the race themselves but a name given to them by Humans. Their name suggests the combination of man and synthetics which is exactly what they are doing to humans. They are constantly refered to by Breen as more evolved than us and that it is their wish for the Human race to also evolve.

How did the invasion happen?

A scene taken out of the game was with Eli explaining what happened in between half life 1 and 2. When you set of the resenence cascade, XEN and Earth merged and the aliens from XEN were teleported into our world. In the game we only saw black mesa but it affected the whole world before it was shut off. I have I compiled the script and oher facts into this description below:

* Headcrabs leaping onto shoppers from supermarket shelves
* Bullsquid chasing family from a suburban house; pack of Houndeyes roaming down Elm street
* Gargantua overturning a tractor as a farmer flees across a Nebraska field
* Ichthyosaur materialising in a public pool, right under a kid who just jumped off the high-dive

The countryside, the suburbs, all those hard-to-patrol places, got pretty much uninhabitable. People started crowding into the cities for protection. This is why in half life 2 the towns and villages like Ravenholm were abondoned because of the alien infestation.

* People clustered at a cyclone fence topped with razor wire, city skyline rising behind them; cops stand tensely on guard towers, blasting away at headcrab zombies outside the perimeter.

There was an illusion of safety, for a time. And then the Citadels appeared. It happened in a split second, all over the world. A chunk would disappear from the center of a city, to be replaced an instant later by one of those headquarters for the Combine. Invasion Central.

* City-center completely cored, buildings sheared off, an enormous pit appearing out of nowhere and, people falling into it
* The same view, with a Citadel now towering at the center of all

This is why when you go to the Citadel and look down where it emerges from the ground you can see lots of rubble and cars. Things were just consumed in the hole from which the citadel emerged. The Combine invaded:

* Cremators, Striders, Combine machines pouring out of the Citadel into the city. Combine dropships tearing through the air.

The humans resisted the Combine attack but it was no use:

* Tanks, soldiers, human army advancing on the Citadel
* The same troops reduced to ashes, completely obliterated.

Earth put up a fight that lasted all of seven hours. This is the 'seven hours war' we see on newspapers in the game. And then, one man who had seized about all the power a man can seizein a crisis, used that power to arrange our surrender. This is Dr Breen who surrenered to the Combine and they rewarded him with power. He speaks for the
Combine, he shares in their power. But for everyone else:

* Views of City 17, citizens slouching along
* Air Exchange belching black fumes
* Drained seabed with beached ships, whale bones

Eli then says: "Well, you've seen the state of things. They're replacing the air with something
we can hardly breathe. They're draining the ocean. We don't know if they're
preparing the planet for new residents, or just stripping it of every possible
resources. All we do know is that we have to stop them..."

Why are they here?

The last boss in Half Life is the large baby faced, hovering, big headed Nihlanth. If you compare him to the other Combine aliens seen throughout the game it looks very similar. The combination of a dark pink coloured skin and metal components makes it look alot like a combine alien. After listening to one of the things Nihilanth says in the first game: "Slaves, we are their slaves, we are...". This could be refering to the combines control over XEN. If you remember Nihilanth also have shackels and a collar on him. Maybe the Combine were in control of XEN at the time of the resenance cascade and Nihlanth was the XEN representitive similar to Breen in half life 2. When the combine saw that the Humans had conquered XEN they decided to act as Humans became a threat.

What are they doing?

During the game we see Breen talking to the Combine Overseer which looks like a large slug type creature which can be seen here:
user posted image
Breen says: "I cannot deliver earth to you alone, I need YOUR help". It seems that the combine are trying to convert earth to suit their atmosphere so they can live there. Breen also says that he cannot come through to the Combine universe because the atmosphere will kill him.

Another thing the Combine have done is activated the Supression field. This stops anyone from reproducing thus stopping any more children being born. Dr Breen states: "I have it on good authority that the supression field will be deactivated once the human race has evolved" or something along those lines. This supports the theory that the combine want control of earth so they can live there. The human race will slowly die out. So the combine came from a different Universe very different from our own.

Civil Protection (Metro Cops)

Throughout the game we see various combine aliens. The first Combine we meet are the Metro Cops or Civil Protection as they are called. These are not actually alien in any way, they are just plain humans. The Combine recruit people as Cops to keep the peace in the Cities. A man on the first level says "I was thinking about joining civil protection just to get a decent meal". The Metro cops are used to bring fear to the citizens of City 17 and the other cities, keeping people in line. They make random arrests on people suspected of saying things against the combine and anyone who might be a member of the resistance is dealt with promptly. Most of these are sent to Nova Prospekt to be processed into Stalkers which are explained later.

Combine Soldiers

The most common are the Combine soldiers. These do not look at all similar to the other Combine in the game. Below is a picture of a Combine soldier without his suit on:

user posted image

From an announcement made by the administrator in the Nova Prospect level he is speaking to the Human augments. The combine soldiers we see are humans that have been cybernetically enhanced and serve the Combine. Dr Breen constantly says that following the combine will lead to human perfection and becoming the ultimate evolved race like the combine are. They wear gas masks/resparators because they have been augmented to survive in the Combine's atmosphere.

Advanced Combine

Other combine we see brief glimpses of are some large creatures in the citadel and the slug overseer which breen is talking too. These are the most advanced combine we see. Here are pics below:
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
Others like the striders and gunships are cybernetically enhanced creatures. This supports my theory that the combine are always searching for perfection and which ever species they control they augment to make them better.
The Combine Overseer or Advisor as it is known seems to be the purest type of Combine in the game. It is possible that this is what the original Combine race look like.

Stalkers and Nova Prospekt

The last type of Combine we see are the abominations we see in the citadel. According to the Prima Strategy guide they are called Stalkers. Humanoid in form these have very undeveloped legs and large heads. Here are some screenshots:

user posted image user posted image

These can also be seen on the Nova Prospect video screens. Nova Prospekt is where the humans are taken to be turned into these Stalkers which are used as slaves. The combine basically labotomise humans, strip out all their organs and their insides are replaced with synthetics. When Alyx is trying to find her farther while looking on the computer screen she cycles through many pictures of people in the pods. She says "All these poor people" as they are being prepared to be changed into the Stalkers.

If you listen to people throughout the game they all fear being taken away to Nova Prospekt. One resistance fighter even says "They wont turn me into a stalker" as she is fighting the combine. This is also why the guy at the train station is mumbling: "the trains are always arriving but never departing. The ones that arrive...they never leave...". This is because they are sent to Nova Prospekt. They are only seen working on machinery and consoles. They are always guarded by the Combine soldiers so it may be that something of the original people will lives on.

Combine Control Over XEN

I am pretty sure that the combie had control of XEN too. In half life 2 the combine use humans and augment them to be come brainwashed solders and slaves. In half life 1 we see the same kind of structure on XEN. They use the alien slaves (vortigaunts) similar to the human slaves and the alien grunts similar to the overwatch. This theory is even more enforced by the similar factories with the pods coming off a production line in each game. Also if you look at the start of the game near the train there is an alien slave still in his slave collars being used as slave labour. This also enforces my theory that the combine had control over XEN.

So basically the Combine take over and oppress worlds in the search for perfection. Earth caught their attention when they took over XEN after the black mesa incident.

Please post your views as this could be a very interesting discussion. I will try and post a few useful screenshots of the creatures later for those that dont know which I mean. on_11.gif

UPDATE: Edited to include information from Prima Guide (20th Nov)
UPDATE: Edited to include screenshots (21st Nov)
UPDATE: Edited to include more information on the Combine and what happened in between games(22nd Nov)

Since you ****ers wouldnt reply to the thread I originally made, I had to paste this from
http://www.hlfallout.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=21382
read it for more ! MY GOD I SAID ITS ****ING GOOD !

have u made this all up or is there a source?

Excellent read and the best theory at the moment :thumbs:

thank **** some of you guys read, ive been posting on this all day on this forum but no one can be bothered to look at the link and I knew you guys would like it

Nice theory, i shall adopt them as my own. Get those pictures on as well for the less informed of us. :thumbs:

go on the link, their is so much more in teh post, this is the first post of it, towards the end its almost perfect the theory they have

That info came from he removed script pages that are in Raising the Bar.

your theories on gman then perhaps? would be interesting to know.

wow dude, very nice indeed !

I see that most of what you posted is exactly what i thought, plus u cleared up some other questions i had

thx!

Note: The stuff about the 7 hours war and the portal storm and the captions of the pictures comes from Raising The Bar.

Everything from "Why are they here" onwards is just conjecture and theory, and pretty standard theory at that too - nothing is really new here, it's just all presented in one big section and pretty well written. However I've seen basically all of it before, and none of the new stuff is directly/strongly backed up by either game, so really there's nothing that amazing in there.

Just the same old same old - because Valve were too lazy (or too "artistic") to actually include story plot in the game, we're left to stich together the pieces with the very few and flimsy threads we have. *sigh*

its a build up for a huge finale I think, we will find out, we just have too wait

Very nice. That was some info I've really been wanting to find out. Need it for a mod I want to do :p .

i've read the same book, but i'm not sure about one aspect. ravenholm was a zombie town because the combine bombarded it with the headcrab pods, not because the headcrabs somehow materialized there during hl1. this is the same way for nearly every other area with a large headcrab population.

also, if you remember the end of half-life 1, the g-man specifically states that xen is a "border world," implying a larger, unseen civilization. my guess is that the combine already had this larger world under control, but had yet to arrive at xen. once they saw the aftermath of gordon's attack, they decided to attack earth themselves.

read the thread on the site ! ffs it says all that, the one i pasted was just a taster

Note: The stuff about the 7 hours war and the portal storm and the captions of the pictures comes from Raising The Bar.

It can also be seen in the chapter "Black Mesa East" in the labs with Eli and co. there is a board with newspaper stuff on it and it has both those things + more. Like the "7 day war" and "Earth surrenders" and another one being "Black Mesa administrator" and then something about human affairs, can't remember exactly what is said but it's there bottom corner.

At least on hl2fallout it's posted in the right forum (the one with "spoilers")

westie said:
It can also be seen in the chapter "Black Mesa East" in the labs with Eli and co. there is a board with newspaper stuff on it and it has both those things + more. Like the "7 day war" and "Earth surrenders" and another one being "Black Mesa administrator" and then something about human affairs, can't remember exactly what is said but it's there bottom corner.
I don't know why people keep saying this.

All the board says is "Seven hours war" "Earth Surrenders" and "Portal Storm Continues".

That doesn't tell you anything, this is what myself and others are complaining about. Knowing names of events is not the same as knowing anything about them. To fully understand/know about events you need to know: How, What, When, Where, Why and Who. The newspaper headings miss out (at least) the two most important parts: how and why.

The stuff in the raising the bar book give more details on the how and give some hints at the why, but they still don't answer everything completely.

So yes, you can see a few LITTLE bits in the actual game, but it seems that for all of the important details and info, you have to buy Raising the Bar and/or the walkthrough, which I think absolutely sucks. I hope Valve do a better job in the future to actually put storyline and plot into their games, rather than supporting (and additional) books that you need to read.

So what does half-life 2 have to do with half-life 1? Does Xen play any part and who are the "people" who invaded Earth? At the end of half-life 1 the g-man states that the border world is "in our control." What happened with that, but then again do we know who the g-man is? It kinda pisses me off that Half-Life 2 doesn't really seem to connect the two games very much. I thought for sure it would and I believe that this is something that hyped us up, the story, yet it appears we will have to wait again for the next installment to have the whole can of beans spilled to know exactly what the hell is going on in the whole Half-Life story.

Back