Trying to control myself

aku ankka

Reaction score
At that "where are you going to get your media from"-thread I mentioned that I wasn´t going to get the e3 2004 videos. Evil then called me "a monk" which got me thinking is it really worth it. Is it better to be hyped up? Or to be spoiled as little as possible? Don´t get me wrong, I´ve seen the first batch of videos from the last E3 so I´ve gone up the hyperollercoaster and then down again. And theres the risk of that happening again before HL2 actually comes out at which point the most terrible happens: I´m spoiled and I´m not hyped up. :O

no ammount of videos will make up for the experience of playing the game itself, and I doubt valve want to spoil anything more than what was in the latest magazine articles, I think it will simply be the infomation they spoke about, but high res and moving of course :)

I'd watch the videos if I were you, I trust Valve not to release anything that would ruin the story too much, since they have been so protective of it the past year. It's nice to see a fellow countryman on these boards, hope you become active, there aren't many active finns on these boards.

i cant wait for wednesday - Friday cant wait! course i am going to watch the movies! i know that valve wont show anything that is going to spoil the game so much. They will show movies to show off phsics, graphics, AI all the different things that hl2 has to bring

Very good question... I really wish I'd never seen so much as I have. I think the perfect balance would have just been the very first video that came out (Quicktime I think) and the first set of screenshots...they really blew me away..but of course the problem is the delay...very hard to stop yourself peeking for more than a year. I'm definitely less excited than I was a year ago (naturally) I try and spoil it as little as possible by not watching any more...but if I hear that whatever videos come out of E4 *really rock* i.e. I think they'll get me excited again - I'll have a look.

thomashiles said:
but if I hear that whatever videos come out of E4 *really rock* i.e. I think they'll get me excited again - I'll have a look.

That´ll probably be the case for me too, only I´d delay watching the videos till later summer or something closer to the release. I guess it´s all about controlling your enthusiasm.

Man, just take your pants off and let the good times role.

Maybe the videos will be of levels made just for E3 that wont be in the game. That way they dont spoil anything. I think a lot of the E3 levels from last year were just roughly based on acctual game levels or something.

SnowBall said:
Maybe the videos will be of levels made just for E3 that wont be in the game. That way they dont spoil anything. I think a lot of the E3 levels from last year were just roughly based on acctual game levels or something.

You don´t seriosly believe that? I know people spend a lot of effort on those presentations but... just not that much. There´ll probably be some kind of little variation of course.

And by spoiling I don´t necessarily mean the plot. Spoiling is spoiling, you know, every monster, every weapon, every little corner of the level.

Oh man, I´m such a pessimist.

I doubt it that Valve would show much more then what we already know, maybe a new weapon or two, possibly another monster, but nothing too much new.

aku ankka said:
You don´t seriosly believe that? I know people spend a lot of effort on those presentations but... just not that much. There´ll probably be some kind of little variation of course.

And by spoiling I don´t necessarily mean the plot. Spoiling is spoiling, you know, every monster, every weapon, every little corner of the level.

Oh man, I´m such a pessimist.
I'm not saying any more than:
You might be supprised.

I don't know if I can be bothered to download the new video's, it took me a couple of months before I could be bothered to download the DX9 video.

They will have to be something really spectacular to get me to download them otherwise I'd rather spend my bandwidth on game's I'm not so sure about. It can't be too long untill it gets released anyway.

Sounds weird but i'm also wondering if i really want to see the video's , i just want the damn game :D beeing a monk has it's advantages you will be all the more blown away by the game once it comes out.

But the flesh is weak...and the longer it takes for this game to come out the harder it will be to ignore.

mrchimp said:
I don't know if I can be bothered to download the new video's, it took me a couple of months before I could be bothered to download the DX9 video.

They will have to be something really spectacular to get me to download them otherwise I'd rather spend my bandwidth on game's I'm not so sure about. It can't be too long untill it gets released anyway.
I guess you live in Autralia? Poor Aussies with their bandwidth-capping ISPs...;(

nope England, but I'm only on 150k so it takes a while. I could be downloading other stuff or playing games online

I'm going to watch them, I mean, I have no willpower myself, so I'm trusting Valve to protect me from the spoilers and such, I trust that they won't reveal anything that I dont want to see

Back