Turkey bans youtube

The Monkey

The Freeman
Reaction score
Access to the popular video-sharing website YouTube has been suspended in Turkey following a court order.

The ban was imposed after prosecutors told the court that clips insulting former Turkish leader Mustafa Kemal Ataturk had appeared on the site.

According to Turkish media, there has been a "virtual war" between Greek and Turkish users of the site, with both sides posting insulting videos.

The clip prompting the ban reportedly dubbed Ataturk and Turks homosexuals.

Insulting Ataturk, the founding father of modern Turkey, or "Turkishness" is an offence which can result in a prison sentence.

The offending videos sparked a storm of complaints to YouTube and the clips were removed, but the court order goes further, blocking all access to the site.
Full story

Doesn't look like they're ready for the EU just yet.

How do they expect to watch Dave Chapelle clips!

seeing as how Chapelle is muslim I'm sure they'll let some of his material slip by :)

they get offensed by something offensive on youtube?

they are not ready for the internetz

"There are only 2 Tyrannosaurus Rex eggs left in the world, and i got BOTH of them"

:D

i love it when some countries aren't able to handle the free-will of the internet.

I wonder how will react a turkesh if a american say "in thanksgiving day we eat turkeys"

seeing as how Chapelle is muslim I'm sure they'll let some of his material slip by :)

Maybe not - although Turks are mostly Muslim, constitutionally and legally its one of the most secular countries in the world (mainly due to that Ataturk bloke), IIRC headscarves are banned in public.

Oh sorry, I posted something in the wrong topic. I'Ve deleted it, I wish this post and this message is deleted as well.

I really like how most Turks are passionate about their secularism.

Im just waiting for when the republicans ban the internet because of how the internet points out all their flawed logic. Turkey is only the beginning!!!

Could be worse, the christians could be prosecuting YouTube... wait, that'd make sense... Obviously though, they ahve yet to see ALL of the internet, and I'd hate to see the law suits when they DO find those other sites :p

That law won't last. Turkey is a pretty progressive country. They just love their Attaturk.

Back