Types of modeling and help

X

xxMichael

Hey guys i was jsut wondering what type of modelling u guys use because i use boxmodelling and my models look lik sh!t.. i look at all these guns posted up by ppl and it seems impossible to make so they msut be using a different way of modelling. also when im done my weapon and i want to smooth it out i go to polygons > smooth and the weapon becomes TO rounded, like it doesnt even look like a gun anymore. any of you guys got a better way of smoothing ur models out? thanks

selected edges and use a bevel (xsi,maya) or chamfer (3dsmax) to create a rounder edge.

good models are normally the result of using more then one technique. you should aim to learn a few ways of working before you start on a full project. it also helps to have a practical mind and be able to figure out the best way to solve a problem but its all dependant on the subject.

Starting on the barrel, make a 12 sided cylinder with enough segments to take the shape of the barrel, uniform scale/move the vertices until it matches the barrel, then extrude the rear end of the cylinder (barrel) to create the rest of the gun, you can add vertices, divide eges, extrude in different directions, etc. Create a box with multiple segments, shape it to match certain parts of the gun (magazine), then extrude/boolean subract parts on/from it, etc.

I never use the box/smooth thing, most of the gun is extruded from a single cylinder (usually from the barrel), including the iron sights, handles, grip, etc. Some things need to be made out of a box with segments, or another cylinder, but are then made to attached to the body. (Instead of just sitting it there, unless they're supposed to be just sitting there, like a magazine, or collapsable buttstock.)

Also, put a image showing the (direct) left or right side of the gun in the background of the left/right viewport and model over that so it's exact. And if you can, find a drawing/image of the gun from the front so you can get the depths right, and have various images of the gun from different angles in an image editor so you can alt+tab back and forth. Keep modifying certain parts until they look right, compared to the referrences, and show off the weapon before making the texture/etc. so you can easily go back and change any errors that others can find. (Because it's easier for someone else to see errors in your work then it is for you.)

thanks alot guys especially zombie, this advice is helping me alot on my modeling

Back