Uninstalling old video card drivers the right way

hiln

Reaction score
Can someone walk me through this?

Only recently I've found out that you need to (or should) uninstall the video card drivers when you install new ones, so I've been installing new catalyst drivers over for a while now.

I used to have an old geforce 2 MX but now I have a radeon 9800 pro, so I should have quite a few drivers to uninstall.

So can you walk me through this, or give me a link to a walkthrough or something? It would be much appreciated.

edit: Also, I want to know why it's not good for you not to uninstall old drivers when you install new ones. Thanks.

dont u have to go to seetings in "my computer" and look for your video card and dissconnect it and install the new one u have in your computer, something like that. they didnt give u instructions??

:dozey: Not uninstalling old drivers and installing new ones... will cause a bit of a conflict between the two, so performance decrease.

Anyways, assuming you've already uninstalled the old Geforce drivers, download a program called "Driver Cleaner", sorry I have no linkie for it, just go to some search engine and type in the name. Go into safe mode and run Driver Cleaner, check everything related w/ Nvidia, that will clean out leftover registry and files left behind that uninstaller didn't get rid of. Reboot.

Get the latest Catalyst drivers from ATi, you can choose from Control Panel or Catalyst Control Center, personal preference there. Just install them, restart bam... you're done.

Oh and make sure you download the drivers you need before you do any cleaning and stuff. Oh yeah, this applies to anytime you plan to update drivers, so if you wanted some new Catalyst drivers that came out, it is best if you uninstall old drivers, then go into safe mode and run Driver Cleaner, reboot then install new drivers.

1) Go to start -> settings -> control panel -> add/remove programs
2) Uninstall any ATI video card driver or control panels applications you see. If you have some Nvidia video card drivers, uninstall them as well
3) restart
4) run drivercleaner
5) Restart
6) Install the latest catalyst drivers

You're done.

thanks, and is it really necissary to disable my network card to the net before doing all this? I think it said this in the driver cleaner readme.

hiln said:
thanks, and is it really necissary to disable my network card to the net before doing all this? I think it said this in the driver cleaner readme.

Just unplug your ethernet/phone cable from your computer. You should be fine then.

:hmph: Wait, I never heard of doing that, why might that be a problem? The Ethernet cable thing.

alrighty, thanks for the help, I'm done. And it's a problem I guess because windows tries to auto update your drivers.

Back