Unplayable since new PC?

D

dsloper

Hi,

Hope someone here may be able to help with a little problem with HL2 (sorry if this is the wrong forum, I have done a search but found no luck).

I had a P4 2.4, running half life 2 via steam no problem.

I have since upgraded most of the PC and HL-2 is now unplayable right from the menu.

New spec:

GigaByte GA-K8NSC-939 Motherboard (New)
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (New)
1Gb DDR 400 RAM (New)
XP SP2
Audigy 2
GEFORCE 6800 GT

The machine has been totally rebuilt, fully patched, all chipset and other drivers most recent versions, no other software installed except for Steam/Half-Life 2.

When I load the game the menu loads but is very choppy - sound give a little clip then stops, then a clip, etc etc. The guy walking around takes a step - stops - takes a step - etc... If I move the mouse it moves - locks - moves.

Basically it's as though second it locks for a second, then comes back for a second and so on.

I finally managed to perservere and go into options, where I turned all video settings to the minimum settings and set to 640x480 - no change

I also disabled audio in windows (and finally removed the card) - still no change.

I have checked the steam files - no problems found.

Can anyone suggest any course of action?

Thanks

Darren

You never mentioned what Watt PSU you are using, this might explain some of the issues, the 6800 GT requires at least a 300W, however I recomment a 400W+ for this card.

Its probably something more simple. Load steam and right click on the taskbar icon. Then check monitor and make sure it is at 100%. When I popped in my new Raptor I had the same problem.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I'm afraid all the suggestions in the links Shen posted have already been done previously with no luck.

Splinter16: i am using a Zalman 400w PSU

oMeSSiaHo: Not sure wht you mean here - do you mean with HL2 running alt-tab out and check monitor, or just with steam running alone? With steam running alone it stated not updating any games and network usage 0b/s

I have put the PSU, Video and Sound card all back in the old P4 chassis and HL2 still runs ok - so it definately is with this build somewhere.

Again, thanks for all your help and ideas so far

Darren

i fink it cud be the Mobo, y not sell that and go for a much higher model name ASUS or MSI

I Think I have found the fix.

I disabled Write Combing on the Video card and so far it seems ok - Sound ramped up to max, video settings ramped up to max and all fully playable.

Thanks again all.

Back