Upgrading an old system, what area's need fixed?

Blair

Reaction score
The system in question:

Sony Vaio PCV-RX550
1.5GHz Pentium
Stock Mobo (Unknown)
300Watt PS
64MB GeForce 3 Ti500
512MB of RAM
60GB HD
SB Audigy
XP w/SP2

Now, is it worth while to upgrade a system like that? I have a few area's that obviously need updated. I have priced a few things all together just over 500$. My question is, would worth the money, and after upgrading if it would be able to handle games like HL2, Doom III, ect, (Atleast high settings) with these new components?:

New Pentium 4 processor 2.4GHz
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb
430Watt ATX powersupply

All need to be upgraded.

get at least 3.0GHz P4,

or for future proof get 3200 0.9 winchester AMD64bit
NEO2 msi 939 mobo
1gb or 512 ocz 3200mhz
Nvidia 6800GT
ur HD is fine, or if you like to use raid 0,1 features u need SATA HD

thats all, go for AMD new msi mobo and new quality memory, + excellent card which last you at least 1.5 year

How about if I said I wasn't rich? lol

I'm not a power user or hardcore gamer, just something that I can enjoy the new age title's with the nice effect's and stuff.

Gorgon said:
All need to be upgraded.

get at least 3.0GHz P4,

or for future proof get 3200 0.9 winchester AMD64bit
NEO2 msi 939 mobo
1gb or 512 ocz 3200mhz
Nvidia 6800GT
ur HD is fine, or if you like to use raid 0,1 features u need SATA HD

thats all, go for AMD new msi mobo and new quality memory, + excellent card which last you at least 1.5 year

Hey good thing you helped him!

Blair, the 2.4 wouldn't be a bad idea, but you'll need to make sure your motherboard will support it. Make sure its the same socket and that the motherboard will support something that much faster. It looks like you're decent on RAM, and the 9800 pro is a great choice.

You said you priced all that at around $500... You might want to think about spending a little more and just building a completely new computer. Granted, you don't need to go overboard like mr. wiseass up there ^^, but it might be more cost effective to just start over.

If you do decide to go all new, I'd recommend going with an Athlon XP, anywhere from 2800 to 3200 or so, at least a half gig of ram, and that 9800. If you decide to stick with upgrading, the components you listed should do fine as long as the new CPU is compatible with your motherboard.

Blair said:
How about if I said I wasn't rich? lol

I'm not a power user or hardcore gamer, just something that I can enjoy the new age title's with the nice effect's and stuff.

then ur system will be fine.

New Pentium 4 processor 2.4GHz
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb
430Watt ATX powersupply

I recommend you get 3.0GHz p4 then :O

i recommend you get AMD, better for gaming and you'll get more bang for the buck. you're looking at around $210 for an amd64 2800+ & m/b which is faster than a p4 3.2

Back