Using steams new backup feature?

VodkA-HLC-

Reaction score
halflife2.net frontpage said:
The main source of the worry seems to be not having a physical copy of the game. One possible solution is by using Steam's new back up feature and creating the CD/DVDs yourself

Is this feature in effect yet? I can't find it anywhere on my steam options?

type in your internet browser: steam://backup

You are welcome :)

-cameljock

right click the game you want to backup in your games list.

How does this back the game up? One large archive, or multiple archives? What format?

Can I ask any more questions? :)

Alot of people have said they have had problems. Some said they had to reinstall windows. Im just glad i get a CD through ATI AND i got to download through STEAM too! I win both ways!

Rawmassen said:
How does this back the game up? One large archive, or multiple archives? What format?

Can I ask any more questions? :)
it gives you an option weather you want the files in cd 750mb or dvd 4.7gig. Then compared to how big the files your backing up are, it will make that many cd/dvd files. Has anyone tried doing this yet? I am always playing so I dont have time to put my processing power into the back up yet. I will use it monday to clean my hd and do a fresh install so that I only have drivers and half life 2 come monday at midnight. I want the game to run as smooth as silk.

I've tried useing the built-in backup feature many times and twards the end it gives me something like the "memory cannot be read" error and steam shuts down. Has anyone come across this yet?

atomicspark85 said:
I've tried useing the built-in backup feature many times and twards the end it gives me something like the "memory cannot be read" error and steam shuts down. Has anyone come across this yet?
no. sounds like your ram has errors i would run diagnostics on it. memcheck386

i used the backup feature. it give you option on what to backup, what size dvd or cd size. and it makes them into a self exctractiong executable. aka an exe.

I'm going to try out this backup function next week, when I find the time to get myself some dvd-covers.

It made me a 2.7 gig *.exe file and I managed to burn it on a DVD. I haven't tried to use it yet, but I recon it will work just fine... And I can download 2.7 gig in a day or so anyways so I don't get to freaked out about it...

Back