Utopia in Dystopia

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
I’m fairly certain you guys are familiar with Dystopia, the Half-Life 2 modification set in a futuristic environment. So, I will spare you with the standard paragraph of snappy writing describing this mod.[br]The Cyberpunks working on this mod have released a very nice update. Included in said update are some in-game screenshots of maps that will be added soon to the already released demo of the game. [br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]
newsspacer2.gif
[br]
[br]The team also has mentioned that their web site has had 1 million unique visitors to date, 500,000 of those have visited their site just in these past two months. [br]More information and screenshots of the soon to be released maps are here at Dystopia’s Official Site.

Isn't the demo already out?

Yes. Just some vauge wording in this news post.

These maps will be added to the Dystopia demo in the near future.

It needs them, too. Only having one map killed the demo after a week or two of massive popularity.

Being a "demo" it was meant to give people a "demonstration" of Dystopia, while we continued to produce more levels and content. As it stands the Dystopia demo still sees peaks of nearly 300 concurrent players online. We feel it's been an enormous success.

Team Dystopia is extremely anxious to get these new maps out, as they really show off different parts of our game's design. Abandon's street and roof top fights are very different from the hallyway fights players have seen in Vaccine.

Yeah, I'm so used to hallway fights (with my trusty granade gun) that the current map has left good snipers out in the dust (the really good ones still somehow manage to kill you).

dystopia looks great but there something that i dont like about it ... im not complaining and not saying its bad, there just something about the style and the feel of the mod i personaly dont like .. i do see that you guys at dystopia know how to make good maps and nice models, soo keep up the good work :thumbs:

-dodo

I played Dystopia a couple of times and I wonder why the team seems to focus on dark maps. What's wrong with some sunshine :naughty: So a bit too gloomy for my taste, I prefer more diversity in light-levels in maps.

Dystopia rocks. Too bad so few people play it. I mean, not all that many have even properly tried it... :(

Valve should snag dystopia and push it alongside css and dods. With a new map or three playerparticipation would skyrocket.

Dystopia isn't a cs-killer, but it certainly is the best option we are likely to have in a long time when it comes to tf-esque gameplay.

.bog. hunter/killer (assault rifle swt therm medkit scs)

I played Dystopia for some time and I loved it. After some time it was getting old because its always the same map.

I didnt play Dystopia for some time now, Im going to play again when we have new maps. The new map screenshots look great!

the neons wouldnt look too good with the sun. I love dystopia. to me it is definetly a CS killer, kids stay with CS and old school tfc players go to dystopia.

omikron said:
kids stay with CS

That's just wrong, and everybody should know it by now. Just because you don't play cs anymore doesn't mean that the almost 200k people that are playing it right now are kids.

People bashing cs just because it is popular annoys me.

.bog.

boglito said:
That's just wrong, and everybody should know it by now. Just because you don't play cs anymore doesn't mean that the almost 200k people that are playing it right now are kids.

People bashing cs just because it is popular annoys me.

.bog.
Yes, but if you would join every server and say Source rocks you would get banned from one third of them because they are :
A) Elitist douchebags (Older ones)
B) Annoying CS kiddies

If you would join every server of CS, two thirds of them would create a constant heterodyne (two signals interfering resulting in awful screeching) because you always have at least two CS players yelling at random people/ each other.

It's true, I've experienced it :|

EDIT : Oh, and on-topic : Looking as hawt as Gabe :naughty:

The new maps look really good, I'm really impressed and can't wait to play the new levels.

Good work - keep it up.

Oh very nice. While vaccine was cool it didn't quite live up to the 'dystopian futureworld' thing - a clean and tidy facility as opposed to the rundown neon-smeared streets I was hoping for. But these new ones look sechsellent.

Thing is, if the demo's going to have this many maps, the full game is going to be massive. :O

I played Dystopia a couple of times and I wonder why the team seems to focus on dark maps. What's wrong with some sunshine So a bit too gloomy for my taste, I prefer more diversity in light-levels in maps.

In this dystopian futureworld, pollution has blocked out the sun.

Or, it's a cyberpunk thing. :p

insurgency will probably be the cs killer, if they are smart and make it a bit more then infantry, and have vehicle combat, man that would totally PWN

polyguns said:
insurgency will probably be the cs killer, if they are smart and make it a bit more then infantry, and have vehicle combat, man that would totally PWN

Wrong. No mod will probably be the cs killer. There may come (more) mods that are good variation, but cs killers? Hardly.

.bog.

yea, your prolly right, but imagine a mod for source as fun and open as bf2, omg the insanity

Being a "demo" it was meant to give people a "demonstration" of Dystopia, while we continued to produce more levels and content. As it stands the Dystopia demo still sees peaks of nearly 300 concurrent players online. We feel it's been an enormous success.

I thought "demo" just meant it was a "higher" standard than other mods put out there but nonetheless it is still a "beta". Beta suits it more imo. As far as im concerned, the original reasons behind "demo" are thoroghly pretentious.

Incidently, media looks vastly improved upon vaccine. Im liking the fact that we get to trash punks outdoors now :D Oooh, just a thought, can hackers turn off street lights? Might be fun :D

Gusdor said:
I thought "demo" just meant it was a "higher" standard than other mods put out there but nonetheless it is still a "beta". Beta suits it more imo. As far as im concerned, the original reasons behind "demo" are thoroghly pretentious.

We called it a demo because of two reasons:

1) we were shooting for a level of polish that wasn't "work in progress"
2) we were only including 1 level

As a demonstration of what Dystopia was all about and the level of polish we're shooting for, I believe that it was a huge success.

I don't really understand how you think it was "pretentious". It wasn't a beta release, as we'd already been through a closed beta process for 4 months prior to public release.

Gusdor said:
Incidently, media looks vastly improved upon vaccine. Im liking the fact that we get to trash punks outdoors now :D Oooh, just a thought, can hackers turn off street lights? Might be fun :D

Turning on and off street lights is just one of the many new ways that deckers will be able to interact with players in the realworld. One lesson that we learnt from Vaccine was how damn cool "cyber traps" are; where a decker can trigger something in the real world to take out meat space players. So you'll see a lot more examples of this in future maps.

THIS is what i like to hear. One of my gripes as i play dystopia is that the decker feels very restricted. just being able to screw with more thing, giving players in the "real world" more awareness that ppl are floating around in cyber space.

hm. If you would have said it was a HL1 mod map, I would have believed you too.

Geronimous said:
hm. If you would have said it was a HL1 mod map, I would have believed you too.
I DON'T THINK SO, SISTA!

Back