UV Mapping for Elephant

Lupus

Reaction score
I made this model yesterday and I'm trying to do the UV mapping stuff for it. I've never done UV mapping before and the tutorial I am following seems to be a bit too complicated for me. Anyone know any relatively simple UV mapping tutorials about that might help me, or at least help me understand the ones I have better?

Elephant1.JPG

nice model :),, the only thing I'd suggest is maybe to make its legs fatter

as for UVW mapping,, what 3dpackage are you using?

Cheers. Sorry I forgot to say hehe, I'm using Maya. All I really know about UV mapping is that it is used in texturing the model (well I think that is it anyway hehe). In the tutorial I have he was sort of unwrapping bits of the model and moving points around, but I didn't really understand what was going on.

And I'll get the elephant to pump some iron :)

You need to fix the seam down the middle where you mirrored it before doing any UV mapping. Infact finish the modeling completely before setting up UV's, changing geometry afterwards can lead to problems fixing up the UV map which could have easily been avoided.

Edit:

also remove the eyes and make them separate objects (you'll find it easier to UV map and texture everything) also means you can better define the eye sockets. You don't have to actually remove the eye poly's, just push them in and use them to define the sockets, put a couple of modeled eyeballs into the spaces the push and pull points until it all fits together. Add more localised detail, wrinkles and such, aswell as define the toes/nails more.

simple UV mapping tutorials? lmao, that's like an oxymoron. It's possible the most irritating and tedious thing in modeling.

Good luck :/

If you goto www.3dbuzz.com, sign up for a free account, and the goto downloads, then VTM, look in the Unreal Tounement section, and they have one for unwrapping a gun.... nothing organic, i'm afraid.

I should have added to remove the tusks aswell and like the eyes have them separately. Then I'd map the body in two halves, the soles of the feet, the front and top and bottom of the head, the trunk, the tusks, the eyes and the front and back of the ears all laid out flat on a UV map.

Thats how I'd do it if I didn't have my own special way of doing UV maps. Which is much easier ;)

Back