Valve Lecture at Gathering

Kangy

Reaction score
The Gathering is reporting that Jess Cliffe and Mike Dussault gave a lecture to a packed auditorium at the festival of all things digitally competitive. Thanks in part to the huge amount of Counter-Strike and Half-Life 2 fans in attendance, the lecture was a great success. The lecture detailed how Jess Cliffe and Mike Dussault became involved with Valve from their modification roots, and how the company created their current line of products.
[br]
[br]See the full first hand report here.

"if your mod reaches over 1000 unique users you get a free trip over to Valves HQ and help to further development of your modification"
wh000000000t!

The download links don't work :(

And the directory where the downloads are supposed to be, instead it cointain "Demos for dummies" tutorial in norwegian...

I can't wait to see the video of the presentation... before they went, they asked for some of our mod media to use as a part of it- so obviously, our entire team were grinning like a bunch of cheshire cats in a hotbox. I hope they've said nice things...

RC Pinchey
Team Leader, BallPoint Studios
www.sourceball.com

rcpinchey said:
I can't wait to see the video of the presentation... before they went, they asked for some of our mod media to use as a part of it- so obviously, our entire team were grinning like a bunch of cheshire cats in a hotbox. I hope they've said nice things...

RC Pinchey
www.sourceball.com
Maybe they used it and said: "Look: this is how a mod isn't supposed to be!" :p

j/k, nice 1 april joke on your site btw :p

Interesting but would like mor einfo on what they said etc.

Insane said:
Maybe they used it and said: "Look: this is how a mod isn't supposed to be!" :p

j/k, nice 1 april joke on your site btw :p

What april joke?

hmm... 1000 unique users.

that's really, really cool.

All I have to do is whip up some reaaaaaally cool looking screenshots (photoshop) and a nice description, and BAM! I have myself atleast 1000 people downloading to try it out.

Although, it would be tough to explain that to Valve... Or develop it...

The 1000 users thing doesn't make much sense to me- that really isn't very many users at all, even our videos have had a few thousand downloads.

My theory is it's either:
a)Not true or a joke
or
b)1000 simultaneous players- which is a bit more impressive.

Saying that, though, valve do love their modding community, and they are uber-rich, so maybe... :)

RC Pinchey
www.sourceball.com

1000 unique players is quite a lot. There's a big difference between downloading and watching a video and actually installing then playing a mod.

Presumably, they would have other criteria (i.e. persistent users, rather than people just checking it out once)

1000 is quite a lot, but I think there'll be a few mods that get that kind of userbase. I for one am getting a hefty list of mods I plan to play (Including a shedload of SB, provided we get servers)

Back