VALVe still up to their old tricks..

f|uke

Reaction score
From http://www.blep.net/hl2stutter/
Re: Stuttering patch.

11/22 VALVe: We've found a fix for this problem, and we're planning on shipping it no later than tomorrow.

11/23 VALVe: We're still working through some testing on this release. It might be something we'll want to hold for another day and release tomorrow.

11/24 VALVe: We're working on it. The stuttering is actually three different bugs. Two of them are fixed and should (hopefully) be out tomorrow. Still working on the third one which only happens on NVidia cards/drivers.

Will they ever learn? :rolleyes:

11/25: My dog ate the patch.. should be out tomorrow.

11/26: My computer blew up.. Should be out tomorrow.

11/27: OH SHUT UP. >:D

Most steam patching takes place between around 5-7 PST, thats not for a few hours yet.

Lobster said:
Most steam patching takes place between around 5-7 PST, thats not for a few hours yet.
Yes, but today they said hopefully tomorrow.

Who are they kidding?? They're not going to release a patch tomorrow! Tomorrow is thanksgiving! They're all gonna be stuffing their faces.

valve can only lose in this context. either they give a date and because they're bad at it they get slammed by the community every time, or they don't say anything and they're criticised for being too silent

guys come on dont you know that when you fix one problem it usually leads to about 3 others give them a break

its an amazing game stop winning and PLAY IT

JeanPaul said:
the whole point of the patch is to let users with issues play the game decently........

f|uke said:

Will you people ever learn to quit whining like little girls, jesus christ. This isn't CryTek, we won't be waiting 3 months on a patch then it failing horribly. This is VALVe, all their patches ACTUALLY do something, pull your head out of your ass please.

f|uke said:
From http://www.blep.net/hl2stutter/
Re: Stuttering patch.

11/22 VALVe: We've found a fix for this problem, and we're planning on shipping it no later than tomorrow.

11/23 VALVe: We're still working through some testing on this release. It might be something we'll want to hold for another day and release tomorrow.

11/24 VALVe: We're working on it. The stuttering is actually three different bugs. Two of them are fixed and should (hopefully) be out tomorrow. Still working on the third one which only happens on NVidia cards/drivers.

Are you a developer? Obviousily not.

They're doing their best to fix it, they probaly thought they had it and ran into another problem.

In Valves defense, i'd like to point out a comment by gabe in the Final Hours article over at Gamespot.

"Never trust us with release dates"

meh.

Finding != instantaneous fix

There are way too many unkowns involved to be 100% sure of when it would be fit to release a fix.

ALEXDJ said:
funny, but i never got any problems with HL2......yet?
Then you just havn't noticed it. It always stutters when the level starts,. thats autosave,. and it usually stutters briefly once or twice per section, like when loading Breen's long speeches. It happens fast, but its there and its dependable.
DiSTuRbEd said:
Will you people ever learn to quit whining like little girls, jesus christ.
You've always been an ass, Disturbed. I'm not whining. I love the job VALVe is doing. I find this amusing. Try to comprehend that.
JeanPaul said:
Read my sig. I think I'll wait for the patch before playing through the third time :rolleyes:
nagual678 said:
valve can only lose in this context
Well, they could use more foresight when making predictions. But it really is not their job to predict how long things take,. its simply their job to do it. I certainly love VALVe, but find this predictable folly to be amusing.

DiSTuRbEd said:
Will you people ever learn to quit whining like little girls, jesus christ. This isn't CryTek, we won't be waiting 3 months on a patch then it failing horribly. This is VALVe, all their patches ACTUALLY do something, pull your head out of your ass please.
and crytek has something to do with this discussion because _________ ?

RTFMy said:
Are you a developer? Obviousily not.

They're doing their best to fix it, they probaly thought they had it and ran into another problem.

they probably should have sorted the game before they released it

f|uke said:
Then you just havn't noticed it. It always stutters when the level starts,. thats autosave,. and it usually stutters briefly once or twice per section, like when loading Breen's long speeches. It happens fast, but its there and its dependable. You've always been an ass, Disturbed. I'm not whining. I love the job VALVe is doing. I find this amusing. Try to comprehend that.Read my sig. I think I'll wait for the patch before playing through the third time :rolleyes: Well, they could use more foresight when making predictions. But it really is not their job to predict how long things take,. its simply their job to do it. I certainly love VALVe, but find this predictable folly to be amusing.

Comprehend what? You sounded like an arrogant ass in that first post.

Put your self in a developers shoes.

My game has never studdered, i have a gig of ram so maybe thats why?

f|uke said:
You've always been an ass, Disturbed. I'm not whining. I love the job VALVe is doing. I find this amusing. Try to comprehend that.

Yes you are complaining/whining, if you find it amusing, keep it to yourself, because people are definantly sick of hearing this kind of shit after last year, try and comprehend that.

nagual678 said:
and crytek has something to do with this discussion because _________ ?

The fact people complain how they take more time on releasing patches, crytek does this a lot and doesn't have shit to show for it.

RTFMy said:

what you fail to see is that he did not in any way attack valve, he just finds funny valve's unpredictability for release dates. i know of no other developer that has such unreliability, and he simply made a joke on that. end of story, no one was meant to be offended - much less valve

nimrods son said:
they probably should have sorted the game before they released it

It's not like VALVe could've tested Half-Life 2 with every piece of hardware on the market.
(video cards, processors, sound cards, ram, motherboards, monitors, and not to mention drivers..)

The communities upto its old tricks more like.

WOULD YOU LIKE BUGGY CRAP? NO. Stop whining.

RTFMy said:

You dont understand me at all.
"Will they ever learn",. that is all I said. Do you understand what I meant by that?

I know things take time. When everyone was bitching about wanting VALVe to release, I always was saying that they should take their time. How long things take and what work goes into them is completely besides the point. The point is that VALVe makes promises they dont keep. I love 'em anyways, but this is a fact, as everybody should know by the countless HL2 release promises and subsequent delays.

All that I am saying is that VALVe should have said "We're working on it" instead of saying "no later then tomorrow". Thats all Im saying.

DiSTuRbEd said:
The fact people complain how they take more time on releasing patches, crytek does this a lot and doesn't have shit to show for it.
..and crytek has anything to do in a thread discussing valve's unpredictability for release dates because ________ ?
DiSTuRbEd said:
Obviously you don't know many developers do you?
name them !

nagual678 said:
..and crytek has anything to do in a thread discussing valve's unpredictability for release dates because ________ ?

Because they are more unpredictable than VALVe with release dates.

Operator said:
My game has never studdered, i have a gig of ram so maybe thats why?

I have a gig too and mine did stutter (not to mention a AMD 64 3700+ CPU). Mine stopped stuttering when I added:

-heapsize 512000 +cl_smooth 0 +sv_forcepreload 1 +cl_forcepreload 1 +snd_mixahead 0.4 -snd_async_fullyasync 1 -console

to the start command for HL2 and CS:S.

DiSTuRbEd said:
Yes you are complaining/whining
No, I'm not. You're such a blockhead. I dont care about the patch. I find it funny that VALVe keeps talking themselves into corners. I dont think I could dumb it down any more for you, so just try to read that a few times.
The fact people complain how they take more time on releasing patches
Nobody is complaining about how much time VALVe is taking. You're pulling that out of your ass.

DiSTuRbEd said:
Because they are more unpredictable than VALVe with release dates.
you fail to see that it's not about when valve release patches, it's about the discrepancy between what they say and what happens.
DiSTuRbEd said:
Crytek and 3D Realms. I could probably look furthur but I can't be bothered.
i don't think crytek nor 3d realms insisted on saying their game would be on shelves seven days before the date when it obviously couldn't be. and 3d realms is a special case, anyway. at any rate, crytek surely took a lot of time to release patches but it's not what is discussed here

11/15 - Valve: We forgot to take out a secret password that let people use Gabe's account on HL Fallout. HL2 has been delayed until tomorrow

Can't you just see them saying that?

DiSTuRbEd said:
Obviously you do, after posting this thread. :rolleyes:
Not enough to complain about it.
nagual678 said:
you fail to see that it's not about when valve release patches, it's about the discrepancy between what they say and what happens
Thanks for comprehending.

nagual678 said:
you fail to see that it's not about when valve release patches, it's about the discrepancy between what they say and what happens.

Looking at patching records for VALVe, it actually looks very good, go look at steampowered.com and go to news archive, about a patch every week for a game or steam.

CryTek not only promised a 1.2 patch for FarCry that took forever to be available, then finally delivered it and had to recall it because it caused more problems than it solved. They got it right -- much later -- the second time around,

I don't know why you guys are arguing over this subject. He was just pointing out that Valve has no sense of keeping the release date.

Guess they've never heard of "When it's done" it would have saved them so much trouble.

f|uke said:
THAT is what this is about. CHRIST.

Its about CryTek being worse at release dates than VALVe? Oh I see now....wait I don't.

DiSTuRbEd said:
Looking at patching records for VALVe, it actually looks very good, go look at steampowered.com and go to news archive, about a patch every week for a game or steam.
again, we are NOT talking about the quantity or the time taken to release patches, it's about the ANNOUCEMENTS valve made and that they (nearly) never are verified. and it's not only about patches (obviously)

Back