valve up to something new?

The Dark Elf said:
That guy worked with them on HL2, well convinced them to use bump/normal maps.
Yeah, I read that in Raising the bar :)

So people don't need to bother with the linky:

Valve software (of HL2 fame) and Bay Raitt (of Gollum fame) are looking for exceptional talents to join them in Seattle to create world class original content. We are seeking to hire experienced professionals with outstanding abilities in the following disciplines:

Character Animators
story focused animators with a strong sense of blocking staging and storytelling.
3D animation skills (XSI, Maya, Messiah, Motion Builder ideal, but not necessary)

Creature Riggers
Formal Biomechanical background in animation puppet construction and skin deformation.
3D modeling, animation, rigging skills (Mirai, Zbrush, Maya, Mel, XSI, tcsh, perl)
Experience in building robust, reusable characters that have been production tested.

Texture Artists
Formal Illustration or Painting background.
3D modeling skills (XSI, ZBrush or Maya ideal, but not necessary).
Experience in shipping a software product, or working on a film project.

Object Modeler
Formal Industrial Design background.
3D modeling skills (XSI or Maya ideal, but not necessary).

World Modeler
Formal Architectural Design background.
3D modeling skills (XSI or Maya ideal, but not necessary).

FX Artist/Supervisor
3D modeling skills (Maya, Houdini, C++, ideal but not required)
3 years experience working in the gaming or film industry.

Senior Conceptual Artist
Production Design, Matte Painting and fine art background.
3 years film or game experience required.
please submit samples of your work to:

[email protected]

probably hiring for hl3 i'd guess

be awesome if they could get some well known talent to wrap up their trilogy.

it said original content, sounds like a new game altogether

you think striders weren't original content when they were hiring new people for HL2?

luketabor said:
you think striders weren't original content when they were hiring new people for HL2?

No, they were inspired by the tripods from War of The worlds, so no, not original. :rolleyes:

Valve can't just make only Half-Life forever...

They'll have to think up something new eventually.

DoctorWeeTodd said:
Valve can't just make only Half-Life forever...

They'll have to think up something new eventually.

BLASPHEMY!

BURN TEH WITCH.

-Alix

Alix Mcdean said:
BLASPHEMY!

BURN TEH WITCH.

-Alix

LIES I SAY!

I HAVE BEEN A GOOD CHRISTIAN WOMAN!

IT IS THY WHO DIVERTING ARROUSAL!

SHE IS JEALOUS OF MY HEALTHY COW.

DoctorWeeTodd said:
LIES I SAY!

I HAVE BEEN A GOOD CHRISTIAN WOMAN!

IT IS THY WHO DIVERTING ARROUSAL!

SHE IS JEALOUS OF MY HEALTHY COW.

NAY!

THY BE A WITCH!

IF THY WASNT A WITCH, THY WOULDNT SAY SUCH WITCHY BLASPHEMY THINGS OF THY VALVE!

BLASPHEMY!

-Alix

Whatever it is, I can't wait till they pump it out the door!! Of course, chances are if they are just hiriing these people now, we won't hear a word of whatever project it is until AT LEAST next years E3.

from the article

"Creature Riggers
Formal Biomechanical background in animation puppet construction and skin deformation.
3D modeling, animation, rigging skills (Mirai, Zbrush, Maya, Mel, XSI, tcsh, perl)
Experience in building robust, reusable characters that have been production tested."

biomechanical background? the first thing that comes to mind is Xen

omg will be posible......?

Spectre01 said:
No, they were inspired by the tripods from War of The worlds, so no, not original. :rolleyes:
Just because something was INSPIRED by something else doesn't mean it's not original. If something is BASED on something else, then sure, you can call it unoriginal.

Starcraft was inspired by Predator(Zealots) to some extent.

Starcraft is an oringal game :).

Man...I wish I had 3+ years experience...I'd love to do concept art. :stare:

from the article

Creature Riggers

Experience in building robust, reusable characters that have been production tested."

Sounds like making Sets...
And somone said something about the guy that made "Goulum"
mmhmm...

<RJMC> said:
from the article

"Creature Riggers

biomechanical background? the first thing that comes to mind is Xen

omg will be posible......?

Or it could mean some one who has worked on biomechanical projects.... not actually in game?

Which would make sense as it would allow the models to be made so they appeared to have realistic musculature and movements based on there size/shape/skeleton. But still.... more realistic aliens/characters = good

Creature riggers? Does that mean they model it in clay and then scan into the machine - like they did in LOTR for most of the creatures?

Sounds like hyper-realism to me!

And what's Box rocket games? Is that a regular name for their recruitment or is that a specific codename for the project?

Isn't image based rendering largely based around real life models?

Nice, looks like Valve has something purty planned :)

Does anyone ever wish that high-end content games like HL2 could be produced faster?

Development cycles are becoming SOOO protracted and just plain-ass long.

DarkStar said:
Does anyone ever wish that high-end content games like HL2 could be produced faster?

Development cycles are becoming SOOO protracted and just plain-ass long.

No...you rush things and you get unplayable crap.

...or otherwise jerks who hack into the developers' computers and delay the release because they just won't wait for the actual release. :frown:

One of the big things behind games is not how long it takes to make every little thing but the fact that companies like Valve wont settle upon there game till its really good.

Like they may start working on the game and have a nice story but....the company things it can do better so it starts redoing new models to fit the story, redoing levels, redoing the story, voice acting..etc..

They do this till they hit it right. Not all developers do it that way. Most are the ones with lower funds...(As they don't have the money to keep putting into the project)

If they make a grand epic story on the first try aswell as gameplay and everything then the game would come out sooner.

To bad it dosn't work that way.

I think a lot of the development time is taken up with the engine too. Not just Source but others too. Devs are using Renderware and commercially available engines more and more (Unreal and Unreal 2 for instance) but I think expectations for what a game should be are growing ever larger.

One example would be the GTA series (I use this because it's one of the only game brands I know that have been releasing new versions on a regular basis). Even just comparing GTA3 to GTA:SA you can see a monumental shift in content, ideas and innovations.

Surely this can only be a good thing? And just because HL3 might take another 6 years to be released (please, dear grud, no!) it doesn't mean other developers out there aren't working on games to surpass what's been seen previously.

Back