ValveTime Spotlight: Half-Life Alpha Content Analysis

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
We've spent the last few days taking the time to experience and investigate the files included with the recently leaked Half-Life Alpha, which dates from 1997. In the latest ValveTime Spotlight video, we discuss what did and didn't make into the final game. And what about the briefly discussed Prospero game that came before? Find out!

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 15,285
I agree. Xen has always been a very important part of the original HL for me. Just because other HL fans suck at playing the Xen section, doesn't mean the Xen section itself is bad. I would think, since ValveTime valued the original HL so much over BM:S, they would have a little bit more respect for Xen.

Also, the narrator sounds a tad bit self-satisfied in how he describes the pros and cons of the alpha, but I still love how the video explores the alpha in fascinating detail.

Years ago, when I was still learning to long jump properly (I am a master at it now), and I remember how I had trouble doing the combination, and jumping short of my expectations into oblivion. Later on, when I made a jump I knew I couldn't make, I exclaimed in a high pitch voice "The Miseryyyyyy!" and fall to my death (actually, my brother invented that). So, I made my bad jumps feel like random acts of suicide, because I knew I could play the game better than I have done.

Back to the alpha: so what if the titles of each of the chapter titles are droll sounding? I kind of like the plain descriptive titles, because I get more of an idea of the level locations the alpha had in mind.

Just so you know, ValveTime, the picture you used when you said Alien Slaves is not that of an Alien Slave. It's that of an Alien Controller. The Vortigaunts are the Alien Slaves. Whoever edited the video must've got confused about the alien types.

I do love the reddish design of the headcrabs: it makes me all the more curious as to how the Mawmen (aka Zombies) would've looked like in the alpha stage.

The basic story is definitely awesome to rediscover. The mention of security guards turning upon scientists helps explain some of the alpha footage, and makes the alpha feel more unnerving in it experience.

I suspected that the heavy gun grunt would've been a miniboss character, because he just has that look and weapon. It was cool when ValveTime recorded the player ducking behind the crate when battling that guy. It demonstrates how duck and cover was innovative element which Valve wanted to promote in Half-Life.

By the way, hasn't anyone though of doing a tech support page on how to run this alpha properly? The directions which ValveTime gave is not enough. There are other unforseen problems in playing the alpha.

When's the video discussion of Prospero going to take place? They said that they would do it soon! Have they forgotten?

Back