Vampire Slayer and Natural Selection

talem

Reaction score
Alright enough COunter Strike talk lol, Who here plays these fine mods?

The better question is who doesn't, as far as independent mods go NS is number 1 and VS is number 2 and in my book they beat out a few of the official mods too. Everything about these mods is original and no one not even savage can beat out NS in the RTS/FPS combination. As for VS chapter 6 came out today and its completely steam compatible. Unfortunately though they also said it was VS' last version :(.

well CHapter 6 Vampire Slayer just came out today with some new stuff, pretty nice

Haven't gotten to play the new VS yet but what's up with the bike?

theres one map that allows you to ride it, Its actually the best in viecles ive seen in any HL mod

i play both, but i still think aliens on ns is underpowered

ktimekiller said:

I completely disagree. Aliens can very easily defeat a marine team quite quickly (without skulk rushing as well).

I haven't played the current version of NS (155 megs with no update?! You might as well murder every single 56ker!) but I too would beg to differ- aliens are quite capable of defeating a marine team.

Skulk = Marine
Fade > Marine
Fade < HA
Onos > HA

(In my opinion. Don't shoot me.)

It all depends on how well things go in each stage of the game.

As for VS, I've never played it.

mmmmm Hostile Intent is way better than Counter Strike by far, thats also a great third party game

In NS, a team of good players will beat a team of bad players every time, its all about team work.

An unskilled team of marines that work as a team will often beat a skilled team of aliens that speak different languges to each other (Thats an example). Not quite so the other way round as the comm can give instructions, thus making the team act as a team without communication.

Basically, I think it is well balanced.

Now the epic battles of the first ever version, now THEY were something to treasure. Especially when you won :)

ktimekiller said:

A good skulk can rip through a marine with ease. It's all about tactics for the aliens... Hiding above doors, behind things, cloaking in good spots, etc... A good mix of brute and tactics.

IMHO NS went downhill when version 2.0 came out :|
1.04 wasn't the greatest version but it had the fun factor in it.
when 2.0 (and the newer versions) were released.. i gave these versions a chance... but it just wasn't the same for me.

i felt and still do feel that the NS team could have made some minor tweaks to version 1.04 instead of the path they chose.. oh well :(

VS i have never played...but it sounds interesting enough..

I disagree with most of you. NS licks balls as well as hostile intent. Hostile intent is a lame rip off of call of duty. I have no opinion on VS though because I have never played it.

Campin'Carl said:
I disagree with most of you. NS licks balls as well as hostile intent. Hostile intent is a lame rip off of call of duty. I have no opinion on VS though because I have never played it.

Have you ever played any of these games? Obviously not...

Natural Selection is one of the best free multiplayer mods available for Half-Life 1. Great gameplay, very original, updated all the time. What more could you ask for from a mod team?

Hostile Intent, I've only played once or twice, and I don't think I have played it enough to have an opinion about it. BUT I have played it, and Call of Duty enough, to know that Call of Duty is a World War 2 game, and Hostile Intent is a modern squad-based game. So I don't see how you're even coming up with your information...

Jeez... You made me sign up for the forums just so I could correct you... Grr...

Doofus said:
What more could you ask for from a mod team?

For them to stop f**king it up more and more with each new release.

I love Natural Selection, it's got alot of atmosphere and the environmental graphics are amazing for being a HL mod. :)

It's probably the only mod I play for pure fun and without thinking on "getting better" and score, etc.

Varsity said:
A vanilla skulk is exponentionally more powerful than a vanilla marine.

Or so you would like to think.

Dux said:

Marines have more health and armour perhaps, but it's very easy to take down two vanilla marines as one vanilla skulk if you keep moving. Anymore than that and you'd need some help, otherwise you're toast before you can take even one of them down.

Easy if the said marines are complete nubs, yeah.

Dux said:
Easy if the said marines are complete nubs, yeah.

Obviously, if you go at them straight on down a wide corridor, you're done for. But if you act like a good skulk, and drop down from the ceiling or ambush them from behind, it's pretty easy. :)

Well anyone as a skulk running at 2 marines down a long corridor certainly needs a sensibillity check. But if you can bunny hop down it you'll probablly get a bite on one of them at least. ;o

Varsity said:
A vanilla skulk is exponentionally more powerful than a vanilla marine.

Alone, yes, I'd have to agree; but I'm thinking from the point of view of a team (seeing as NS is a team-based strategy game, particularily in the marine case, despite the usual torrent of Rambos...)

Any vanilla marine that wanders off alone deserves to have a pointy bity alien killing machine land on him and tear him in half. NS may have its fair share of claustrophobic corridors, but there are plenty of nice wide spaces for skulk reaping, so I suppose sweeping statements regarding the overall effectiveness of the classes aren't such a good idea.

Its all pretty damn context dependant, because marines can defend against skulks with ease but will find it really difficult to start being offensive. And no jokes about calling people names.

'Course, for all I know the latest version tripled skulk health and gave all marines a gigantic flashing beacon marked "EAT ME". 155 megabytes.... bah.

Dux said:
I play (or played) as aliens. ;)

Edcrab said:
Its all pretty damn context dependant, because marines can defend against skulks with ease but will find it really difficult to start being offensive.
Not only that, but the wide open areas are in the vast minority on all the official maps, and so the aliens are given a large context advantage. And with the vents open spaces are even entirely avoidable for aliens. All a skulk has to do to live is run back round the corner if he starts getting shot at from range - if a marine is in a disadvantagous situation (which would be face to face) there's nothing he can do.

How often do you use the Knife in close combat? After the skulk has taken 4 bullets (assuming he has no carapace) he is on 10/15hp - as soon as he gets into close proximety, whip it out and slash him. One dead skulk. You'll probably get a load of abuse hurled at you for embarasing the player you just owned, but it's worth it immensley.

Are you one of those muppets that enjoys crusing the Natural-Selection forums?

Dux said:
How often do you use the Knife in close combat? After the skulk has taken 4 bullets (assuming he has no carapace) he is on 10/15hp - as soon as he gets into close proximety, whip it out and slash him. One dead skulk. You'll probably get a load of abuse hurled at you for embarasing the player you just owned, but it's worth it immensley.
Yes, that is quite simple. But as I said earlier, all I as the skulk needs do after getting itself in that situation is run away avoiding long hallways. It's unlikely for that not to be an option.

Dux said:
Are you one of those muppets that enjoys crusing the Natural-Selection forums?

What is that supposed to mean? I've browsed the NS forums in the past, but I don't hold an account. I love the game and don't see why so many people feel they've "messed up" at some point.

I would compare it to the dorks who complain about Counter-Strike 1.5 being better than 1.6.

CrazyHarij said:
It's probably the only mod I play for pure fun and without thinking on "getting better" and score, etc.

Same here... And it's like the only game I don't get so angry when getting killed, *cough*Battlefield 1942*cough*.

Btw, what servers are you usually playing on Harij?

EDIT: OMG, 1000 posts!

I still disagree with you. I refered to hostile intent like call of duty because u aim very similar to call of duty multiplayer. You can only aim down the barrel (a.k.a. there is no crosshair) The only real difference between call of duty and HS is that of the era and that of the weapons. Its similar ideas just different groups (allies v axis;terrorists v counter terrorists). But Call of Duty is a much better game. Better graphics and etc. As for NS its just so gay. I never liked it but im not a fan of games of that nature. I don't like futurstic ailean games like halo so I guess I have a biast opinion. The only game that I really liked with aileans in it was halflife. Starcraft is alright too. So next time don't talk until u know what im talkin about

NS is great.

Can't wait to see the aliens in the new source engine..

NS on souce will be phenominal..... the one true shining light of MP on Source. I cant see CS or DoD being that different other than a tweak of the physics and graphics here and there, NS on the other hands eems to have so much more scope for improvement with the far superior engine.

Oh and Doofus..... 1.5 OWNED 1.6, 1.6 sucked monkey balls. I somehow went form a pretty good player to a decidedly average one. Admittedly that was probably because i took 4 months out from playing and when i came back everything had changed and i couldn't be bothered to learn :D

oh and 6.2 owned every single version past and present :)
mOs... the one true way.

Vampire Slayers is one of the best mods ever made. I play like every day.

I play NS now and then, I was never really one for VS...however I play TS (best mod ever) daily

To bad NS will most likely be one of the later mods to come out for HL2. Normal or Parallax mapping and some per pixel lighting would do wonders for the mod. I think there was like 1,000,000 lines of code on top of hl to get that mod working. Also a one of a kind game that is just fun.

Mr. Redundant said:
I play NS now and then, I was never really one for VS...however I play TS (best mod ever) daily

yes indeed.. TS is really amazing. I would like to see it converted to Source too..

VS is fun . specially with a vampire lovin friend who is crazy. His going nuts when we play it :p Ns is fun too havent played it for a very long time tho

Back