Vehicle (warning:amateur modelling)

Brazooka

Reaction score
This is my first finished model ever. It was inspired by Mad Max 3 movie. Any comments and sugestions are welcome. I hope to turn it into a drivable vehicle for HL2...

Attachments

• pic03.jpg
    pic03.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 223
  • pic-04.jpg
    pic-04.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 241
Looks good to me....ive seen people that say "i can model" do alot worse.

Thanx, I'll try some texturing now, but I know even less about it...

wow gj. Better than i could do at this point. Definitely keep it up :D

The jet engine is tight.

I have one comment, that is that it seems to be very high poly, how many polies is it?

ye its really good for your first model. But I don't think it would run proberly in the HL2 engine because it seems a tad bit to high polgon. If you don't know already then models are converted to triangles when put into games and this will basiclly double any polgon count you currently have If your using 4+ sided polgons.

Triggerhappy41 said:
wow gj. Better than i could do at this point. Definitely keep it up :D

The jet engine is tight.

Sorry, but what u mean by "tight"? It should be larger? (My english is not that good :E )

IchI said:
ye its really good for your first model. But I don't think it would run proberly in the HL2 engine because it seems a tad bit to high polgon. If you don't know already then models are converted to triangles when put into games and this will basiclly double any polgon count you currently have If your using 4+ sided polgons.

Stone said:
I have one comment, that is that it seems to be very high poly, how many polies is it?

What can I do to reduce the poly count?

Can't tell you if you need to reduce it without knowing the count ;)

First, save your work. Then, make all the objects on your vehicle in to 1, then right click on the big uber object and click convert to editable mesh. Then press 7. Polycount will be displayed in the active window.
Make sure you use editable mesh, editable poly won't give an accurate count.

EDIT:
BTW, after you have the count you can go back to your recently saved work :)

You know...Unless you get paid to do models you are an amateur.

Just thought i'd say that...Looks good :)

The rounder something is, the more polygons it has. Compare a cube to a sphere, 6 polys in a cube, a lot more in a sphere. To reduce that to a low enough poly count for HL2 you might want to reduce the smoothness of the rollcage bars. A cylinder with 8 sides might work ok for that. Look around for other round areas like the tires, there are loads of polygons in them as they are very round and smooth. Might want to use a cylinder with about 15 sides for the outer tire, and for the inner part too. Experiment and watch the poly count. Basically just try to reduce the roundness.

babywax said:
Can't tell you if you need to reduce it without knowing the count

First, save your work. Then, make all the objects on your vehicle in to 1, then right click on the big uber object and click convert to editable mesh. Then press 7. Polycount will be displayed in the active window.
Make sure you use editable mesh, editable poly won't give an accurate count.

EDIT:
BTW, after you have the count you can go back to your recently saved work

Lupus said:
The rounder something is, the more polygons it has. Compare a cube to a sphere, 6 polys in a cube, a lot more in a sphere. To reduce that to a low enough poly count for HL2 you might want to reduce the smoothness of the rollcage bars. A cylinder with 8 sides might work ok for that. Look around for other round areas like the tires, there are loads of polygons in them as they are very round and smooth. Might want to use a cylinder with about 15 sides for the outer tire, and for the inner part too. Experiment and watch the poly count. Basically just try to reduce the roundness.

Cool, I got the reducing smoothness part. But How can I turn two objects in one? I already heard some of you guys saying that boolean is not good, How can I do it?

I've always used the "Attach" function, then welded any vertices that needed to be welded. If you're using nurbs/splines etc... you'll need to convert it to polygons... There's a tutorial for that with max I think.

BTW:
A cube has 12 polygons, 6 sides ;) Atleast in HL2 it does. A polygon can be either a triangle or a quadrant. A quad has 4 sides, so if the engine accepts quads then a cube has 6 polygons. HL2 (AFAIK) uses triangles only, so it takes 2 triangles to make a square, 12 to make a cube.

babywax said:
I've always used the "Attach" function, then welded any vertices that needed to be welded. If you're using nurbs/splines etc... you'll need to convert it to polygons... There's a tutorial for that with max I think.

BTW:
A cube has 12 polygons, 6 sides ;) Atleast in HL2 it does. A polygon can be either a triangle or a quadrant. A quad has 4 sides, so if the engine accepts quads then a cube has 6 polygons. HL2 (AFAIK) uses triangles only, so it takes 2 triangles to make a square, 12 to make a cube.

Ok, I'm trying to transform two objects in one as you said. I could succesfully weld two vertices of the same cube... but I still ****ing can't do it with two diferent cubes. I already tried a tut, but I still can't do it . HELP!

If you're still having trouble, make sure both objects are editable meshes.
Then, click on the attach button and click on the second object in the perspective view (my preference, any view will work). Voila! You have just made two objects in to one. It's sort of like grouping them, so that when you want to merge vertices between them you can.

babywax said:
If you're still having trouble, make sure both objects are editable meshes.
Then, click on the attach button and click on the second object in the perspective view (my preference, any view will work). Voila! You have just made two objects in to one. It's sort of like grouping them, so that when you want to merge vertices between them you can.

Awesome! It works!!!!! Thanks a lot mate!!!!!!!! A lot of work to do now...

Back