Vehicles

Yellonet

Reaction score
In an interview Mr. Newell said that it would be quite easy to make vehicles for HL2. Did he mean that making them inside Hammer was easy or did he mean that importing them from some 3d software and getting them to work was easy?
And, were the vehicles we've seen in the videos made with Hammer or something else?

He was talking about getting premade models of vehicles into hl2.
Vehicles in half life 2 are models made in a 3d program

I think he meant actually coding the vehicle's behaviour, rather than physically making them (which you would use a modelling program such as Xsi for, not Hammer, which is for level geometry).

I think we are going to see some very good mods with Valves mod support and vehicles.

Anything with wheels should be a cake walk to make. More complex flying, 1-2 wheel vehicles, Floating boat vehicles, might take some new code to provide the basic tools. I haven't seen any player controlled vehicles except for one with 3-4 wheels. Those one flying things that saw you do look like they have realistic helicopter physic controls though. Can't tell for sure though. Might be arcade physics to make sure the AI can control them.

So coding thier behaviour might be easy for 3-? wheeled vehicles. But the basic tools for creating the others might need to be added by modders. All the basic physics are there but I don't know if the extra stuff is there to make it player controllable. Might be controlled by the C++ code or by even simpler tools like those used to setup the constraints for rag dolls.

The vehicles we have seen would be xsi, hammer really cant make anything more detailed than a HL1 style brush, (higher limits on faces and less errors though i assume), the system for acctully making them move like most things in source i assume can be applied to either a model or a piece of brush based geometry, that is what i believe he meant.

But all the detail work in the game would be done in xsi (or another 3D editor with the correct exporter).

yes its possible to have flying vehicles(player controlled). peeps have already made some using the stolen build.

Bah! Stolen "beta" - I wouldn't touch it if I was the last HL2 fan on Earth.

Damn. I was really looking forward to making some cool vehicles.. thought they might have done some special vehicle making addition to Hammer... I guess not :(

Wonder if the flying stuff is network friendly. I really wanna see how vehicles behave online. Tribes Vengance that uses Havok Physics just like hl2 has some of the most sketchy vehicles that are horribly laggy even with pings down in the 50s. Half life has some pretty nifty online prediction so I hope they got this issue resolved. I don't wanna see server hit detection for vehicles. Where you have to shoot where they are going to be to the server. Not where your shot would hit them on your screen. Although client side hit detection means if they miss you on your screen they can still hit you. Although the inverse where sometimes your shots don't even touch them on your screen but they hit them on thier screen is just as corny.

Ages120 said:
Anything with wheels should be a cake walk to make. More complex flying, 1-2 wheel vehicles, Floating boat vehicles, might take some new code to provide the basic tools. I haven't seen any player controlled vehicles except for one with 3-4 wheels. Those one flying things that saw you do look like they have realistic helicopter physic controls though. Can't tell for sure though. Might be arcade physics to make sure the AI can control them.

So coding thier behaviour might be easy for 3-? wheeled vehicles. But the basic tools for creating the others might need to be added by modders. All the basic physics are there but I don't know if the extra stuff is there to make it player controllable. Might be controlled by the C++ code or by even simpler tools like those used to setup the constraints for rag dolls.

I believe Valve said there will be helicopter and airplane templates in the SDK for modders.

And about lag, someone here (I think it was Polykarbon, where is he btw?) said that with the leak there were tests with 50 buggies in a scene in a network session and they didn't have lag.

Anybody know of a free 3D program which can export to the right format(whichever that is)?

Yellonet said:
Anybody know of a free 3D program which can export to the right format(whichever that is)?

The SDK will include a specially made Softimage XSI|EXP HL2 edition. It's already downloadable on www.softimage.com
XSI was used for HL2.

so, with xsi you can only do the modelling and animations stuff?

i worked through of some of the tutorials included in the xsi package. i actually like to work with it. :) maybe, one day, my skills are high enough to create some really cool models. if i want to code animations in xsi|exp, what exactly are the requirements? any scripting language, i guess...

lonestar said:
so, with xsi you can only do the modelling and animations stuff?
What more would you want to do? The maps are best made in Hammer I would think...

I use Wings3D for the basic models (REALLY easy to model in, and free) and I'm learning XSI|EXP for exporting, normalmapping and such-and-such...

I'd imagine that there'd have to be some coding involved, as it'd be pretty difficult at the moment to make an editor-based system for handling control inputs for completely custom movement systems like you'll find on mod-based vehicles...

Yellonet said:
What more would you want to do? The maps are best made in Hammer I would think...

sorry, if it sounds like i expected more from it. i'm absolutely pleased with the possibilities xsi|exp offers.

it was just a question.

I'm finding the XSI really user-friendly. Everything is at the touch of a button.

Ages120 said:
Wonder if the flying stuff is network friendly. I really wanna see how vehicles behave online. Tribes Vengance that uses Havok Physics just like hl2 has some of the most sketchy vehicles that are horribly laggy even with pings down in the 50s. Half life has some pretty nifty online prediction so I hope they got this issue resolved. I don't wanna see server hit detection for vehicles. Where you have to shoot where they are going to be to the server. Not where your shot would hit them on your screen. Although client side hit detection means if they miss you on your screen they can still hit you. Although the inverse where sometimes your shots don't even touch them on your screen but they hit them on thier screen is just as corny.

See Unreal Tournament 2004 for some very nice multiplayer w/ vehicles.

XSI (the hl2 one) says it has to run in at least 1280x1024 mine pc only goes to 1280x800... any help is appreciated

I remember someone (think it was Doug) said that there might eventually be vehicles in CS:S.

Tyrsenus said:
I remember someone (think it was Doug) said that there might eventually be vehicles in CS:S.

Are you serious? If it's right....AWESOME! :cheers: :bounce:

Do vehicles have functional lights? Like for example, you get in a vehicle and the headlights lit up?

i mite have to learn to mod so i can make some maaad veichels but im sure the community is going to provide an assorment of crazy modifications.

personally i think veichels in cs would not be a great idea

Back