Vehicular Goodness

Sean

Reaction score
I was just flipping through the Gamespy article that headcrab pinata pic's from, and found this interesting little line:

And then there were the design concepts that just didn't pan out, including one plan to have players actually pilot a helicopter in the game, with controls that Newell once called "just as good as a flight sim." Maybe next time.

It'd be a step up from that buggy, that's for sure. :D

BTW, that article's pretty interesting, especially the part that talks about the constant delays. Read all the "Half-Life"s as "Half-Life 2", add a few years to all the dates, and it seems to fit pretty well. :)

It'd be cool, but I'm pretty sure they've said there's no flying vehicles this time around.

"that feature can be modded in" -- lol..... (hint : remember the special headcrab thread?... lol)

mmm Chopper...ownage tbh!! I would love to see it in hl3 tho. Or some future mod, maybe of2? ah well, we can but dream!

Wow, a heli, that would be really, really cool. Imagine if you had enemies that flew after you and you had to battle them in the sky.

czrsink said:
Would it still be an FPS though?

well yeah.... it's still first person... and your still shooting :p

plus, that avatar is hillarious hahaha

Yeah it would, I mean you don't ask, "Will it still be a FPS seeing as there's a dune buggy." That would be sweet if you had to fly way up to the tower and in the process you had to try and avoid Scanners. But I assume the heli would be really futuristic, probably something you would steal from the enemy, or maybe get hooked up with from someone you meet. :smoking:

czrsink said:
Would it still be an FPS though?
Depends on what you interpretation of FPS is. The genres are blending and thats a good thing imho.
Take battlefield, its a frikkin FPS/Flightsim/tanksim/boatsim and whatever, and it was cool.
Yesterday I played the expansion for Call of Duty.
This expansion features vehicles and I was afraid that this would slightly harm the non-vehicular combat as BF1942 tends to do, but its excellent.
I can still manage quite well without ever getting in a vehicle, so the old skool run and gun die hards can still perform their craft.

I think such games are still FPS when the focus is still mostly on foot combat.

I can barely imagine the level design and framerate nightmare from flying a heli...

Eh?

I'm sorry, could somebody PLEASE give me a link to Gabe's thing about delays and the gamespy article? I can't find it!

AJ Rimmer said:
It'd be cool but I hope it wont be in.

PS. Nice sig DavE0r

I think i may choose another "apt" quote in the near future!!

I hope theyres a chopper...maybe we will eventually have vehicles in CS:S as the **suprise**

About those flying things. Valve said it CAN be modded. And if it can be modded it will be modded I think. And image what a HL2 mod with the Battlefield gameplay looks like, it looks awesome to me.

Back