VIA 4in1 Drivers & Radeon Cards...

Azrael.

Reaction score
So I've been looking all over the internet, because I am having weird crash issues. For some reason I have to turn off "Hardware Acceleration" for common apps like AIM or just basic web browsing, and I have to turn it back up to full when I run games. And sometimes I just crash randomly because of it. I can usually make it without crashing, but I need to fix this problem. (And yes, all of my drivers are updated... VIA 4in1's, cat 4.7's...etc)

Many people say that it is the VIA chipset (which is what I have) and that the VIA 4in1 drivers suck. There haven't been new ones since December 2003.

So apparently the fixes for the problem are as follows:

-Turn AGP settings from 8x to 4x (Apparently there is a very small performance decrease... around 2-4 fps?)
-Turn off fast-write
-Change AGP Aperature Size to 128mb

Right now I'm running my 9600XT until my X800 comes in. Will any of these fixes (especially AGP from 8x to 4x) give me a big decrease on performance (or stability...which is what I'm trying to fix...)? What about AGP Aperature size? What will that do to my performance? Should I try DirectX 9.0c too? Thanks for the help.

I don't think it'll impact performance too badly. Definitely not on the 9600XT.

Turning off fast write will usually increase stability and performance too. That goes for everyone, not just those with the VIA chipset.

Back