Viacom sold Harmonix for $49.95

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Here’s what happens when a red-hot videogame franchise goes cold: You can buy the whole company for the same price as a single copy of the game.

I had a hunch that Viacom sold off Harmonix, which makes the Rock Band games, at a steep discount last month. But I’m still surprised it was this cheap: I’m told that investment group Columbus Nova paid $49.99–the list price for “Rock Band 3?–and got the entire company.

here's the catch:

People familiar with the transaction tell me Harmonix’s buyers also assumed the game company’s liabilities. That includes expensive music rights fees, and responsibility for lots of unsold games and equipment sitting on warehouse shelves.

And I’m told that the deal is structured in a way that will let Viacom net something like $150 million in tax benefits, similar to the AOL/Bebo fire sale last year. Given that Viacom paid $175 million for Harmonix a few years ago, things could be worse.

http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/201...ng-a-really-really-cheap-song/?mod=ATD_skybox

OUCH! last time i seen something like that was when midway was sold and that was $100000

Wow. I had no idea the Rock Band franchise was doing so poorly these days.

Also, >capitalism.

same will happen to the call of duty games and what left of the company

same will happen to the call of duty games and what left of the company

I really don't think thats going to happen. At least not for another 5 years or so. The popularity of the Call of Duty games I think are at an all time high. Whereas the Rock Band games had a shorter Bell curve

I really don't think thats going to happen. At least not for another 5 years or so. The popularity of the Call of Duty games I think are at an all time high. Whereas the Rock Band games had a shorter Bell curve

Yeah but all the smart people are starting to hate them. People will sense the milking soon enough and object. Or they'll just plateau selling millions of copies like EA does with Madden clones every year.

Yeah but all the smart people are starting to hate them. People will sense the milking soon enough and object. Or they'll just plateau selling millions of copies like EA does with Madden clones every year.

Hmmmm, I play Hardcore Team Death Match so its hard to tell how long we'll keep playing this but since everyone is off from school for a few more weeks I can see us playing it for quite a bit. Everything does die down after a while though and anyone can predict that

Back