video card issue?

B_MAN

Tank
Reaction score
long story short
ive been having this problem with my system for a couple of months now but recently its been much worse

[img=http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2482/messed2ra.th.jpg]

ive tried swapping monitors, replacing ram, sound card, clean install of windows, made sure fans were running, updated ALL drivers etc, virus check and the list goes on..
it typically happens when the system is under alot of stress ie playing games.... but it also occurs in windows and upon startup in the BIOS check
however, im wondering why, when i DISABLE my video card, it still continues to happen
any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

specs:
xp pro
sapphire radeon 9800 pro 128
athlon 2800
MSI 6712 KT4V
sb live 5.1
1gb kingston ddr3200

:cheers:

is ur graphics OC'd?
cause that's what happen when it's pushed too far
maybe a cooling issue.
but first, update ur drivers

Lahire149 said:
is ur graphics OC'd?
cause that's what happen when it's pushed too far
maybe a cooling issue.
but first, update ur drivers
no overclocking and everything is updated

What are the temps on your card?

My old 9800SE used to do that when i switched on my PC, a quick restart used to fix that. Seem to be a different problem for you though.

Ren.182 said:
What are the temps on your card?

My old 9800SE used to do that when i switched on my PC, a quick restart used to fix that. Seem to be a different problem for you though.
how do i find the temp on my video card?
and no, a restart may only fix it temporarily

Erm, well, for me, i go into ATI Catalyst Control centre, then go to the "overdrive" section in the advanced features. Or something like that. Not sure if it'd be the same for you.

im pretty sure thats your videocard overheating. I had the same problem, though not nearly that bad. How many case fans do you have? You should consider buying another one, or just play with your case open.

edit: you know i just thought of something, you have the same card i had, and my friend has it too. My card did that, and then eventualy it stopped happening, as did my friends. Im wondering if it has something to do with the whole line of 9800's

jellydoughnut217 said:
im pretty sure thats your videocard overheating. I had the same problem, though not nearly that bad. How many case fans do you have? You should consider buying another one, or just play with your case open.

edit: you know i just thought of something, you have the same card i had, and my friend has it too. My card did that, and then eventualy it stopped happening, as did my friends. Im wondering if it has something to do with the whole line of 9800's
yeah ive heard of 9800's being plagued by heat issues
but its weird how it just stopped happening for you and your friend
that gives me hope :)
i have plenty of fans and i just recently cleaned them out, including the video cards

yeah id recomend playing with your case open for a little while too. Idk why it stopped, but it did, and same for my friend.

jellydoughnut217 said:
yeah id recomend playing with your case open for a little while too. Idk why it stopped, but it did, and same for my friend.
actually ive been playing with my case open for some time now, it doesnt seem to help:rolling:

B_MAN said:
actually ive been playing with my case open for some time now, it doesnt seem to help:rolling:
have u tried with it shut? casue that can ause airflow to go a little differently

if you can try the card in another pc to see if the problem is consistant with the gfx card

duffers20 said:
if you can try the card in another pc to see if the problem is consistant with the gfx card
good idea, just make sure that the "test pc" has proper drivers

i tried swapping my buddies radeon 8500 into my comp(same drivers) and it didnt even startup(turned on didnt startup)

recently my comp hasn't been starting up at all, without any warnings sounds
sometimes it beeps 3 times and sometimes it beeps more, its very strange

well a 8500 isn't a very good "test card"
check BIOS settings about the beep problem

Back