video stress test concern

jonnyapps

Reaction score
i just got full version of css after playing beta for a month. with beta i was getting about 40fps average on the vid stress test. Now i'm getting 14.7fps. Ne ideas? And yes i do have updated catalysts

2600 athlon xp
512mb dual channel 3200 ddr
9600xt

Are you absolutely sure that you're using the exact same settings?

Damn, that's my system as well, except I got a 9800 pro.
There is no reason why your fps should drop like that though. Must be something wrong.

I get exactly the same score I did in the beta. Perhaps you changed some setting that is affecting it.

I have almost the exact same system (just a 9600 Pro instead of xt), you must have changed some setting or something.

afaik everything's the same. i went into advanced settings on display adaptor and put direct3d and opengl settings to default just in case. I'm running it in 1024x768 with no aa or af and all settings on high except for reflect which is set to world instead of all.

I've noticed there's been some graphical updates. the second spinnning glass block seems to have a diff texture to b4. perhaps its in some way related to this? :frown:

i have the exact same computer specs, amd athlon 2600+ and 9600xt. i used to get 48 fps in the beta and now i'm getting about 55. i have no idea what happened with you.

Check your ATI control panel options... Direct3D settings etc

I got an average of 19.99.

I defragged, changed some start ups, etc etc.

Now I get 79!?

2600+
1Gig Ram
9700pro

I think you might be right about the defragging...I just defragged and got like 10fps boost.

before, on my messy ass computer, i got 87 fps avg,

now, after the new catalyst and running two types of anti-adware and clearing up about 1 gig, i now have 95 avg fps.

and I have a 9800 pro

w00t to me

flupke said:
Check your ATI control panel options... Direct3D settings etc

thanks for the advice but i'd already said i'd tried that.

As for defragging - i did a clean install about 3 weeks ago.
I'll give it a go and check for adware tho i'm usually pretty on top of that kind of stuff and wouldve thought i'd notice.

thanks for the advice and keep it coming.

Also, anyone got a link to a benchmark for my spec so i can compare? :naughty:

I get 54 fps with the stress test on my 2nd system, which has AMD Sempron 2600+, 512MB and an unexciting GeForce FX5600. I tried changing some settings and it near as hell killed it. The settings I changed were World Detail (turned on 'Refelect All'), AA x 2 and AF x 2. Even changing the model details to high (it recommended I do) made no real difference in the framerate.

You could try rolling back your drivers to a previos version, especially if you only noticed the problem after upgrading.

Just doing a little tidying and updating Catalyst 4.8 -> 4.10 did a whole lot for me: 21 fps to 24fps. it may not sound like much, but it's enough to make a big difference (am using a 9600 standard).
Wonder what it'll become when I get my new 6800 GT :)

I've also got a 9600xt, but my cpu's a puny 1700+ and still I get steadily over 40 fps with 1024*960 and 2xAA with most settings on high :p And my comp is messy as hell, I've got like 1,5gb free space and it's been years since the last defragment. Sure wonder how that's possible..

EDIT: :sniper: a couple of typos

Muhwi said:
I've also got a 9600xt, but my cpu's a puny 1700+ and still I get steadily over 40 fps with 1024*960 and 2xAA with most settings on high :p And my comp is messy as hell, I've got like 1,5gb free space and it's been years since the last defragment. Sure wonder how that's possible..

EDIT: :sniper: a couple of typos
40fps in the vid stress test?

right i just did it again it took ages to load and when it did i got 15fps average. Gonna try and update my mobo drivers and see if that helps.

please offer more suggestions if possible

Kirkburn said:
Just doing a little tidying and updating Catalyst 4.8 -> 4.10 did a whole lot for me: 21 fps to 24fps. it may not sound like much, but it's enough to make a big difference (am using a 9600 standard).
Wonder what it'll become when I get my new 6800 GT :)

3.0GHZ p4c
2GB pc3200
5900fx

dx 8.1 /1024x768/high everything except reflections/2xaa /2xaf
I got 88.7

switched to 6800gt
dx 9.0 /1024x768/high everything/ 6xaa/4xaf (for somereason this is the default when I put this card in). Got 118.

Thing about this card is so far in my testing upping the aa and af, or even lowering it, doesnt' seem to hit it much at all.

:/

a good defrag can sort quite a lot of probs .. if only it dident take hr's to do :( .. hell ied rather format the pc

Johnny, there is clearly something wrong with your setup there. Also make sure you check the Chipset drivers eg Via/SiS/Nvidia to see if there's an AGP issue. It could be reading your AGP card at 4x which is throttling the bandwidth to it (it should be 8x with smartgart enabled, or something like that).

czrsink said:
Johnny, there is clearly something wrong with your setup there. Also make sure you check the Chipset drivers eg Via/SiS/Nvidia to see if there's an AGP issue. It could be reading your AGP card at 4x which is throttling the bandwidth to it (it should be 8x with smartgart enabled, or something like that).

sound advice thanks but i've already checked that. I'm installing updated drivers for my mobo which may be part of the prob ( i did only fresh install xp last week so prhaps they need updating)

:bounce: :bounce: :thumbs: 60FPS!!!! I UPDATED MY MOBO DRIVERS!!1110101!! :thumbs:

Back