Videogames and driving?

Raziaar

I Hate Custom Titles
Reaction score
We all know about the whole videogame and violence crap. Done ad nauseum.

But what about driving? Do video games, particularily arcadish styled video games that contain aspects of driving in them, make young video game drivers out to be worse drivers? More reckless, less cautious, etc? Or do you believe that video games have no influence on young minds in this aspect of life?

Movies do, I dunno about games though...

What could you blame on a game about driving that could couldn't instantly blame on a movie,

"Grand Theft Auto blah blah"

"Dukes of hazzard made me do it!"

Shodan said:
Movies do, I dunno about games though...

What could you blame on a game about driving that could couldn't instantly blame on a movie,

"Grand Theft Auto blah blah"

"Dukes of hazzard made me do it!"

Well, i'm talking about games because games are a simulation. You have an arcadish styled simulation of driving, and it might give kids a very false impression of how motor vehicles operate. More twitchy reactions, etc.

I'm not saying it does, i'm asking what people think.

I play a lot of driving games, always have since I was a kid... 2 years no crashes or anything.

Not gonna make an example out of me! :D

Devvo said:
I play a lot of driving games, always have since I was a kid... 2 years no crashes or anything.

Not gonna make an example out of me! :D
Same...but I'm up to 3 years :D

Been playing driving games my whole life.
From Stunts to games like Flatout.

2 years and haven't crashed once, got a ticket for speeding though. >.>

I think games actually stop people crashing/speeding, since they can just do it in a game and not in real life...

I've been driving wrecklessly in video games since I was young enough to count my age on one hand... and, yet, after driving real cars for 6-7 years I still haven't managed to get even a single scratch, dent, or ticket. Also, the worst drivers I know never play video games. So, what does that tell you?

Crash a car in a game it costs nothing. Crash a car in real life it costs a small fortune.

Only the stupid would attempt what you're suggesting.

I should probably amend that... since, after the last post, I got rear-ended by some guy who later admitted to not looking where he was going. It just dented the bumper a bit and broke one of the little lights that make the license plate more visible at night. So, as of right now, I haven't caused an accident.

Bah, most data you'll get on this'll be inconclusive. I dont think you can really tell whether it makes a difference or not. If anything though, I feel like it helped me.

OCybrManO said:
I should probably amend that... since, after the last post, I got rear-ended by some guy who later admitted to not looking where he was going. It just dented the bumper a bit and broke one of the little lights that make the license plate more visible at night. So, as of right now, I haven't caused an accident.
lol thats called tempting fate buddy!

After playing Gran Turismo 4 for a while, I find that I tend to drive(IRL) by following the "best line" as close and as fast as possible. I also end up tailing a lot of people only a couple feet behind their car.... maybe I should stop playing GT4....

I can't ever prove it, of course, but I think videogames have made me a better driver, as far as reflexes and reaction time go. There's also the fact that the idea of a controller and steering wheel are pretty similar in that they are both arbitrary objects used to control something else. It's something that makes learning to drive a little easier.

kind of a good arguement tho, people arent stupid enough to do something retarded in a car because it would cost so much, for those who do blame video games for something they did, ask them why then didnt hop in a car and go Twisted Metal on everyone

xLostx said:
kind of a good arguement tho, people arent stupid enough to do something retarded in a car because it would cost so much, for those who do blame video games for something they did, ask them why then didnt hop in a car and go Twisted Metal on everyone

Because rocket launcher mounts under the hood cost a fortune!

I bet you jack thompson could make a case for this.

In my response to the question: Depends on the person.

Anyone who plays need for speed and then tries to replicate it will be promptly shown reality at 120mph.

GT4 is the game that impresses me the most in terms of reality. I auto-x my dub when i can, and i'm very very impressed with GT4's physics. I've played Forza and it's just far too stable i feel. GT4 has this frantic, on the edge of destruction feel when you’re going 190 down the back straight on nurburg. Forza it's just like, oh it's a straight line, let me lean back and relax.

edit: yea, i'm the same, i've been driving for too long, and been playing driving games for even longer, and never crashed or had a ticket.

xcellerate said:
Anyone who plays need for speed and then tries to replicate it will be promptly shown reality at 120mph.

GT4 is the game that impresses me the most in terms of reality. I auto-x my dub when i can, and i'm very very impressed with GT4's physics. I've played Forza and it's just far too stable i feel. GT4 has this frantic, on the edge of destruction feel when you’re going 190 down the back straight on nurburg. Forza it's just like, oh it's a straight line, let me lean back and relax.

edit: yea, i'm the same, i've been driving for too long, and been playing driving games for even longer, and never crashed or had a ticket.

Just remember, it only takes one crash to end your life. So make sure it never happens!

Raziaar said:
We all know about the whole videogame and violence crap. Done ad nauseum.

But what about driving? Do video games, particularily arcadish styled video games that contain aspects of driving in them, make young video game drivers out to be worse drivers? More reckless, less cautious, etc? Or do you believe that video games have no influence on young minds in this aspect of life?

You said on Hetairia that you'd never be one of those wimps who says they'll leave but comes back.

You fail!

And welcome back :E

EDIT: /me looks around for people amazed that I said the word Hetairia

sinkoman said:
You said on Hetairia that you'd never be one of those wimps who says they'll leave but comes back.

You fail!

And welcome back :E

EDIT: /me looks around for people amazed that I said the word Hetairia

Well thats the thing with addiction. Sometimes you beat it, sometimes it kicks your ass.

Raziaar said:
Well thats the thing with addiction. Sometimes you beat it, sometimes it kicks your ass.

/me hugs cow

/me enjoys gentle blocky gyrations of said cow

Oh noes. Hi Raziaar. I had noticed you were back but it didn't really click with me. :upstare:

Anyway, I have a feeling that playing serious driving simulation games would help you with an understanding of how cars work, if not how to actually drive them.

Sulkdodds said:
Oh noes. Hi Raziaar. I had noticed you were back but it didn't really click with me. :upstare:

Anyway, I have a feeling that playing serious driving simulation games would help you with an understanding of how cars work, if not how to actually drive them.

The topic was talking about arcadish videogames, that give you a misrepresentation of how a vehicle operates. For example, playing a game of burnout 2 or something.

Well , a couple of years ago a friend came over on his way home from work and I showed him this game called gta3.
He was into it instantly, cop chases , hand-brake turns, the lot.
He was interupted by a call from his wife, made his excuses and left.
Ten minutes later I get a panicked phone call..."Mate! That game is evil! I got into my car , wheelspun out my parking space and was doing fifty down down the road before I realised I wasnt playing gta anymore!"
P****d myself laughing, it was the genuine shock and confusion in his voice from finding himself still playing the game in his head whilst driving his(all too real) bmw on the road.

True story.

I actually think that Gran Tourismo made me a better driver. It comes in real handy when you instinctively know how the car is going to react in a bad situation (skid etc).
And the things that videogames in general improve in the human brain are all good for driving, from patter recognition to situational awareness.

xlucidx said:
Been playing driving games my whole life.
From Stunts to games like Flatout.

2 years and haven't crashed once, got a ticket for speeding though. >.>

Pwntz0red.

The_Monkey said:
Still 16, so no driving for another two years :(

We have drivers at that age here. Though, I don't think we should. The young drivers here are idiots, and are far more likely to get into accidents. I got in the vehicle with my cousin who was driving(he's 17), and he drives like a ****ing madman, taking sharp corners on a country road that has ditches on either side at like 70 mph, pulling to 90 on straight aways. Just general stuff I wanted to reach over and smack him for, because he also had his youngest brother in the car wtih him.

I know I'm a lot more dangerous to be around when I get behind the wheel after playing GTA for a few hours. I accelerate very fast, maintain very high rates of speed, pass on two lane roads with a double yellow, brake really hard, tailgate and generally get enraged and yell at slower drivers.

I don't think playing these games when you're 12 will effect you later in life. I think getting into a car after a session of GTA might be hazardous to your health if you let it. I suppose I could control myself, but why?

A study was done that indicated that people who play driving-intensive games (GTA among the titles that might not instantly come to mind) are better drivers because they learn to read the road and not glue their eyes to the rear bumper of the next car.

Back