Visiting Ravenholm in Aftermath?

Max35

Tank
Reaction score
I wonder if we'll see Ravenholm in the new expansion. I have a vague idea that since the Citadel is collapsing, it blocked off many of the other escape routes, and bam "well, it looks like we're gonna have to go through Ravenholm, Gordon". For that matter, I wonder if we will see more of the Coastline areas, and some type of Nova Prospekt-inspired level (hopefully).

Doubt it, although it does raise questions on the status of Father Gregori, although most likely his story will have ended when we saw him last. I hope to see some more environmental settings, like icy barrens or grassy plains. The levels in HL2 felt really...restricted in terms of what I had seen ages before in previous hl2 levels. Actually, I would like to see more levels on things like boats, oil rigs, or huge towers miles above the ground.

Yeah I am kinda hoping we'll see Ravenholm again. It could be written into the story of Aftermath quite well :D

Gamespot says the entire epsode is set in City 17.

GameSpot: We know that Aftermath takes place immediately after the events in Half-Life 2, and we know that Alyx plays a big role in it. What else can you tell us about the expansion in terms of plot and setting?

Robin Walker: We don't want to spoil any surprises by getting into specifics. But to answer this in general terms, the entirety of the episode is set in City 17, and the driving force is the fact that, thanks to Gordon's actions at the end of Half-Life 2, the Citadel is about to give up the ghost in such a way that anyone left in the city will be killed.

It would be cool to go completely against the feel of Ravenholm in hl2 and having to go through it as part of a mass evacuation with a couple a fourty or so rebels but likely it's not gonna happen.

I hope we do get to see ravenhome again, id like it if we get to see father gregori

Perhaps the plan is to hide the remaining population in the mines. Safely underground from the shockwave that's likely to come from a possible Citadel explosion.

In that case Gregori would need to lead the people through Ravenholm to get there. :D

It would be cool, but it seems unlikely.

I reckon they're lying about it all being set in City-17 actually. Imagine how cool it would be if escaping C-17 was only the first third of the game.

Like Pesmerga says, I think it would be awesome to see some levels really high up in the air, or miles underground, with giant open holes you can accidentally fall into it if you make one wrong move..

That would be truly awesome...

I think we've "done" Ravenholm fairly comprehensively in HL2. I'm not sure I'd want to go see it again.

Underground caverns with antlion king ftw

Spooky..its like your walking along just humming a song to yourself..no action..no nothing, then out of the blue you see this fast zombie fall right on top of you and you scream and fill your pants at the same time, then have a rapid convulsion when someone living in your household turns the room light on and says hi and you are scared of them because you just saw a fast zombie pop out from a cave and then they think your a moron and you embarrass yourself.

Isn't HL2 great?

Hmm from what I remember the leak did have large underground tunnels, possibly beneath Ravenholm where we saw large sac like creatures that gave birth to headcrabs much in the way that a spiders eggsac does.

ravenholm wasn't that scary for me, perhaps doom 3 spoiled me. or maybe it was the fact that fast zombies only did 5 damage with each attack. Or maybe i've just seen too many zombie movies. Either way i'm not too interested in going back there. What i would like to see is good ole mister blobby cheeks, a fun version of the hydra, or perhaps the freighter boat level that got cut

Perhaps put back in the stalker attacks..I remember those were supposed to be the scariest thing, especially on that icebreaker

The icebreaker level WAS scary--but I don't remember any Ravenholm levels or Gonarchs, what maps (names) are those? Or are we not allowed to talk about that?

-Kato

Wasn't there talk about those blue tenticle things being put into Aftermath ??

It will be like valve said City 17 that makes it kinda realistic u continue where HL2 ended.

Kato said:
The icebreaker level WAS scary--but I don't remember any Ravenholm levels or Gonarchs, what maps (names) are those? Or are we not allowed to talk about that?

-Kato

We aren't allowed. And the icebreaker wasn't scary :p

A True Canadian said:
Perhaps the plan is to hide the remaining population in the mines.
So they can be eaten by the head crabs. :LOL: And about the Gregori helping the citizens, lol... he could barely help 1 guy out, I don't think he could help 2+ people.

Sgt.Murray said:
Wasn't there talk about those blue tenticle things being put into Aftermath ??
If there was it wasn't true.. Valve was orignally going to put them in but couldn't because it would be impossible to fight them. One minute you see it waving around, and the next you're dead. Putting them in the expansion wouldn't eliminate that problem.. so no they won't be in there. Well hell.. they might have found a way for it to work, but I am almost willing to put money on it that they haven't.

Automatic Kafka said:
We cannot allow a mine shaft gap.
*kleiner rises from a chair*
"Sir, I have a plan... Mein fuhrer! I can walk!"

I hope they put the Borealis back in somehow. It had a cool name and was a sort of ghost ship.

But it probably dosn't fit in story wise.

Jandor said:
I hope they put the Borealis back in somehow. It had a cool name and was a sort of ghost ship.

But it probably dosn't fit in story wise.

hey, if Valve somehow incorporates Ravenholm then why not the Borealis?
however if the Borealis were to be part of Aftermath, that would likely mean the coastal area is also part of Aftermath in some way since thats they only place i see the Borealis making any sense in.

You mean Hydra?

Yep thats the one !!!! They looked class and pretty freaky in a weird sort of way and i think Half-Life2 has wormed its way into my mind somehow :S Just been to see War of the Worlds and part of it looked extremely similar to Raveholm and was scary :( evil evil Valve and their magic !!

Yeah they were supposed to be the bomb, but were cut after deciding it played no crucial part in the storyline, and got frustrated with the AI on the hydra...

:( but they looked class, surely they could find someway to fit them into the story line ??

The thing was they were no fun to play against. One hit one kill. So I've been told, although I'm sure the AI was a bitch to code as well

Sgt.Murray said:
:( but they looked class, surely they could find someway to fit them into the story line ??

They couldn't get the AI sorted, that was the problem. I'm glad they cut them, especially if they were retarded.

but doesnt gordon get teleported out of c17 by the g man in the end or is he still in c17

Seeing as Aftermath is The Escape From City 17, the latter seems most likely.

I would like to see more levels on things like boats, oil rigs...

Amen to that. I just hope that Valve make the sea look more convincing this time. That flat, blue texture when viewed from the top of the cliffs in Highway 17 just looked.....odd.

Athlon64 said:
Amen to that. I just hope that Valve make the sea look more convincing this time. That flat, blue texture when viewed from the top of the cliffs in Highway 17 just looked.....odd.

What Source needs is some delicious per-pixel water action going. So that way, when a car falls into the water, it doesn't just make multiple small splashes, it makes one big splash causing waves to spread outward. *splooge*

Malfunction said:
What Source needs is some delicious per-pixel water action going. So that way, when a car falls into the water, it doesn't just make multiple small splashes, it makes one big splash causing waves to spread outward. *splooge*
Like the water in Prince of Persia/Prince of Persia: Warrior Within? Yeah that'd be great. 2D splashes kind of don't fit with all the source's possibilities.

Back