VST - Video Stress Test?

WhiteZero

Tank
Reaction score
we decided to use the bandwidth to get out the VST first since I get pelted with zillions of questions from people asking how their PC will run Half-Life 2.

So is the VST the long-awaited "Half-Life 2 Benchmark"?

geeeesh! :x
u did not need a new thread just for this question.. :|

If a benchmark is ever released, it will almost certaintly be this "VST" repackaged for the sake of continuity. So yes. :)

how creepy... i asked that question too in the news from gabe thread D:

I believe this is the benchmark. YEAH!!!!

/me dances around like a fool

Do I understand that EVERYONE will get the VST, or just the ATI/CZ ppls? The post seems to imply everyone will.

Dr. Freeman said:
geeeesh! :x
u did not need a new thread just for this question.. :|

Well aparently it is a big issue that alot of people are wondering about. So, yes, it did need it's own thread. :hmph:

This is huge to get a benchmark, more then cs:s beta and preload of hl2 for me at least.

the video stress test.. is it for cs:s? or just to see how well your pc will run hl2?

Most unofficial benchmarks are stating that cs:s is faster on a 6800GT than on a X800 XT. Not a good sign for ATI.

But they are unofficial. And then it was only one map (de_dust) - I wonder how much FPS is lost in a big map in HL2 like that coastline one with everything on high (I can swear there was FPS droppage in that E3 2004 video - running on a X800 pro)

...Ians are you retarded? The benches that have been posted have ATI way ahead of Nvidigay

lans, where you got that info from?

lol, I was gonna make a thread about VST too but then I decided not to.

and yes, this subejct DOES need it's own thread. stop bashing people people! I hate it so much when I read a thread and the first reply is along the lines of "go to ur m0m n00b"

KagePrototype said:
Ians, I heard otherwise. Where did you hear that?

He's just talking out of his you know what.

And Huzza for the benchmark! :D

The R420 based cards that we saw were able to give the best performance at high resolutions with Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering enabled, and therefore I do have confidence in saying that the ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition will be the fastest graphics card for games based on the Source Engine, particularly Half Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=1181&s=9

I know what it is, the actual test for your gpu is unseen, all the user sees is a loading bar "loading map_interactive_source_demo" loading a little bit, then back to the start, loading more, then back to the start, then when you have nearly shat your pants "congratulations, you have passed the stress test"

Lans is pulling crap out of his ass. The only CS:S benches (read: http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=1181&s=1 ) I've seen show the Radeon X800XT simply TROUNCING the nVidia cards. At 1600x1200 4xAA/8xAF the X800XT was still at 70fps whereas the nVidia 6800 drops down to 28 fps. Maybe Lans is a bitter nVidia fan?

Erm no those benches are bull i have played it at a cafe with a 6800GT and guess what at that res the 6800GT was still up in the high 70's awell.

LOL and cypher are you comparing the entry level 6800NU to the flagship pretty non availabe X800XTPE?

Excuse me while i go laugh.

I hope my 9800pro still runs it at 1024x768 with all settings on high with 2x Temporal AA and 2x AF on...

Cypher19 said:
Lans is pulling crap out of his ass. The only CS:S benches (read: http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=1181&s=1 ) I've seen show the Radeon X800XT simply TROUNCING the nVidia cards. At 1600x1200 4xAA/8xAF the X800XT was still at 70fps whereas the nVidia 6800 drops down to 28 fps. Maybe Lans is a bitter nVidia fan?

You're comparing a $299.99 card to a $499.99 card.

And yes, that test is more memory intensive than GPU intensive (thus the drop at 1600x1200 4xAA/8xAF).

I'm sure my 9800XT will be able to handle the Source engine with ease.

The VST sounds good, that should make people decide if they need to buy new hardware or even upgrade.

hasan said:
and yes, this subejct DOES need it's own thread. stop bashing people people! I hate it so much when I read a thread and the first reply is along the lines of "go to ur m0m n00b"

Thats the norm around here mate - they just do it to get their post counts up!

It's the Internet equivalent of the annyoying little sh*t at work/school that wont shut up and just likes to hear his/her own voice!!

Go figure!!

arrgh cant wait even a couple more hours

im from the uk *11:44pm* here. i will stay up another 2 hours and see if steam is updating by then

hmmm perhaps I should invest in something better tahn my 9000pro.
uhhh yeah

DrJones said:
I hope my 9800pro still runs it at 1024x768 with all settings on high with 2x Temporal AA and 2x AF on...
Mine does (but at 1280x1024) so yeah :)

NeoGlyphix said:
...Ians are you retarded?

That was unneeded.
:O

p.s. What time is it in America, Gabe says later tonight... but its midnight here in Britain. Im confused.

Kids the 6800 cards are really fast. Try using one before you decide.

Don't know if bench is coming tonight though... you would think if such good news was to happen he would have been more straight-forward with it.

7:01 PM Eastern time, so that makes it 4:01 PM Pacific Time, old age rocker. So i Gueess that means at 5 AM GB time (GMT?) it'll be out.

id laugh if it started up with a really stressed out gman going, ACK NEED DA COFFEE. and then just exploded back to windows, with no explaination what so ever.

Every other big release on steam recently has been around 2am GMT, 9pm EST, 6pm PST.

Back