Wait or go for newer tech

DevgruSeal

Reaction score
Back in the summer I planned on building a new machine that would support DirectX 10 quite well, with an 8800GTS 320mb, Q6600, 4GB DDR2-800.

Then I heard about the G92. Thought I might wait for the 9800s, and build when they're released. Now I'm hearing that the next nvidia released cards are going to be low to mid range video cards, not the high-end type we were expecting (Various sources, can't name one :|)...

So I thought, nvidia probably isn't going to release the successor to the 8800 because they've got the lead on the video card market now. I figured I'd just get an 8800 when I'm ready to build, then as the 9 series is released, sell/trade the 8800 for a 9 series. Yet wait long enough for the x38 chipset to be released.

Should I bother waiting to get my hands on the x38, or just build when I'm ready? How much are the x38 motherboards expected to cost? Depending on price, I'm going to skip on the x38 unless the cost is absolutely worth it.

I don't see upgrading anything from what you have until at minimum the 9xxx's are out.

Well, I can't play DirectX10 games with my current machine.

And I don't think my CPU would play nice with just upgrading my video card to an 8800.

Plus I have plans on turning this machine into a file/backup/home server.

your computer can already run circles around mine.

Wait another few years.

Again, my computer doesn't run DirectX10, nor run dynamic lighting or post processing effects. (It does, but very laggy...)

You will never have the best hardware for longer than 60 seconds. Somewhere, someone has already come up with better hardware than what you have.

You wait to buy the best, then you might as well just give up on PC's and go join the console crowd. The reason being, technology is ALWAYS advancing. When the 9800's are released, you'll hear about the new 10K's and so on.

If I were you & had the cash, I would buy an 8800 series card now which will last you for the next 2 years. By then the next series will have been released and had a chance to mature.

You'll buy an 8800GTX today and then tomorrow you'll find that it'll be on sale for $100 less. Thats just sadly the way Technology is.

-MRG

Yeah, I'm quite familiar with the concept of changing technology...I posted the thread to ask for opinions on the x38 chipset, not to be talked down to.

I have completely given up on the 9 series for now. As I mentioned in the first post, I'm going to include the 8800 in my next build, and trade it out for a 9 series when they're out, proven/benchmarked, and dropped in price.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I should bother with changing my plans to include the x38 or not. Reason being, I want something future proof, but I'm not going to adopt some hardware immediately unless the concept is solid, and I know a bit more about it.

I would just get a 8800 and later sell it on ebay or to a friend. Not really because it's a DX10 card but because it is faster. ;)
It's just a plus that it is DX10.
That's what I've done with my old cards generally (sell them).
And your CPU is fine for driving the GPU (A64 @ 2.52GHz). But you may want to go dual/quad core for other reasons. Game effects (Valve's particle effects), multi-tasking smoothness or FPS increase in games with multi-core optimizations.

Yeah, I'm quite familiar with the concept of changing technology...I posted the thread to ask for opinions on the x38 chipset, not to be talked down to.

How did I talk down to you? I assume that your comment was aimed at me. Please correct me if I am wrong. :p

You asked us a question about if you should wait or not to upgrade. As you know, that is entirely up to you. If you want a future proof PC, i'm sorry to tell you that there is no such thing & never will be. For being as familiar with the concept of changing technology like you say you are, you of course already know this. So why ask? I'm sorry, it's 10:30pm here & I had a long ass day at work so I am a little thick headed ATM, so bare with me if i'm being a jerk when I say that I don't get what you are asking. You already have your answer, the best one anyone here could give you.

Upgrade when you are ready.

On the one hand, you upgrade & have a vastly superior PC than you do now. However, within 3 months, it'll be outdated. Not slow, only outdated. Again, being as familiar with the concept of changing technology like you say you are, you of course already know this.

On the other hand you wait until the next big thing is released. At which time you'll then hear about the next, next big thing to be released & so you are back to square one.

Do I upgrade now or wait?

The system you listed is great & would provide you with some real power under the hood. The more so that what you listed is still quite young technology wise, (i.e Q6600 & 4GB RAM) & so it'll mature. As it is applications that fully utilize a Quad core CPU are rather slim at this time.

-MRG

When I say future-proof, I'm talking about things like sockets that aren't going to be dropped within at least 2 years. Take Socket 939 for example. Replaced by AM2 shortly after I bought my computer.

Generally speaking, I think my current computer is a good example of what I'm talking about when I say "future-proof".

It's lasted well for 2 years, still can run new games quite well (A tad choppy on the higher effects settings, like Dynamic Light, real-time high detail shadows, HDR in some games, etc), and it will still continue to be used as a server when it is replaced by a new build.

At first it had onboard sound, and a (rather slow) 1GB module. I upgraded both: soundcard to an Audigy, and bought that 1GB module a stick of 1GB high performance XMS.

Again, future-proof in the terms that it will be easily upgradeable for the next 2-3 years. That, and as an example, quad cores are more future-proof than dual cores. Here's what I mean by that: Applications that currently exist still run. Once applications are developed that fully utilize multi-core tasking, i.e. VALVe's particle effects, the dual cores have only half the processing power as a dual. As a result, I'm not going to have to fork out more money to upgrade. Do you see what I'm trying to say?

Ahhh... Amazing what a good nights sleep will do for a man. That fuzzy feeling upstairs is gone.

I get what you mean now about having a future proof PC. As you know, It's just so hard to try to guess what is in store to come. A perfect example is the Conroe CPU from Intel. Released w/ 1066mhz FSB and then 3 months later, the 1,333mhz is released.

Like you mentioned, upgrade when you are ready. I mean cash wise. Such as you listed with that Q6600. When you stop and think about it, it's a 4 core processor with all 4 cores running at 2.4GHz. Thats a whole hell of a lot of power! Not that it works this way, but thats 9.6GHz of power all combined! I truely believe that if you were to buy a Q6600 now, you would be sitting pretty for at the very LEAST the next 2 years. Software & games are not yet commonplace that fully utilize that type of hardware. Some might support it, but not utilize it.

As for the RAM. I would advise you to only buy 2GB of that DDR2-800 RAM at this time. If you are going to buy 4GB, I would advise you to buy the absolute fastest you can get your hards on. At the very minimal, DDR2-1066 as DDR3 is around the corner as becoming mainstream. Such as OCZ's DDR3-1800 which has been released and is godly fast. That RAM ram is future proof for the next couple years easily.

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=3053

While the 320mb version of the 8800 is very nice, I urge you to get at least the 640mb version instead or even the 768mb version. That will also help guard against future proofing your PC as much as is possible at this time.

Bottom line, I would upgrade now, unless you are very happy with your current system. Or wait a little bit until the hardware out now matures some at which time, the next big thing will be released and the hardware you are looking at now, will go down in price.

-MRG

I'm in a similar rut so I'm going to hijack this thread for some similar advice (apologies to OP).

My computer right now is dying (not Princess Diana dead, more like Queen Elizabeth dying). Is this a bad time to buy a future-tamper-proof computer? When do we expect the next wave of price drops due to new releases and announcements?

I'm thinking of a Core Duo 2.66 Ghz, 2GM RAM with an SLI-ready PSU/mobo and a 8800GTS 320MB (the 640MB I hear is almost the same only $100 more).

The biggest difference between the 320MB and the 640MB, besides twice the memory, is better framerate at higher resolutions. But if you only have a monitor that supports 1280x1024, the 320mb would be a better choice, especially in the interest of saving money to buy the powerful ones (Once they come out)

My computer right now is dying. (Not Princess Diana dead, more like Queen Elizabeth dying)

LMFAO!!!

Sorry, but I just found that funny as hell for some reason.

All comes down to how much money you spend right now at this minute. Whats hot now, will no doubt be cheaper next month than it is this month. So to answer our question about prices is neigh going on impossible.

Upgrade, when you can afford it. Simple as that. Spec yourself out a PC you want & then save for it with the sole intention of buying that PC in a months time. YOu'll find you save some money & you'll not be obsessed with getting the best thing out at that moment.

-MRG

Back