Wal Mart: The definitive source for PC Gaming

goldenboi

Reaction score
LOL you know how you guys said Wallfart had a release date of July 2nd for HL2? Well now they pushed it to 9/02/04, yet they have the XBOTCHX version set for June 2nd!! LOL. Crap's not even in devleopment yet. WALL MART w00tage to teh 1d!075! :thumbs:

lol i've seen stuff like this

TV
Originally $99.99
ROLLBACK SPECIAL! $129.99!!!

Lords of cheap products and the modern scum of America Wal-Mart is...

they treat their fish badly too....... grr!

What are you all talking about? Walmart is as classy as Macy's or Sacks Fifth Avenue.

lol, I can't even say that with a straight face when I was typing that...:D

We've been bagging walmart and every other retailer from DAY 1!

Retailers are just silly puppets profiting off other peoples work.

What? Profiting off others peoples work?

You make it sound like they go to the warehouse of Vivendi and steal crates of games.

Publisher sells to Stores> Stores sell to us. Everyone makes a profit (ours being the game :D )

I want Valve to sell directly to me! I want all my money to go to those who created the game! Which is what steam does!

It eliminates those filthy publishers and retailers :D

walmart makes me miserable. battalions of white trash and screaming unhappy children. ugh.

The way you guys talk about retailer dates reminds me of how you guys talked about retailer dates back when you were still convinced Sept 30 was going to happen. The retailers obviously knew it wasn't, long before we did. Say what you want about Fragmaster, but he was right when he said Vivendi told all the retailers in mid summer that HL2 would not make Sept.

Something I hear all the time on here is that "retailers dont know anything more than us", which is just patently false. It's Vivendi's BUSINESS to know exactly what Valve's delivery estimate is at all times and to update the retailers on this, millions of dollars are forecasted based on these dates and a change of just a few weeks can have considerable impact on Vivendi's quarterly earnings and shareholder value. Valve doesn't publicly announce their estimated completion date because fans like us flip out every time it changes. In addition, the only thing Valve is responsible for is delivering the product to Vivendi for QA, Vivendi has to determine how long they expect their QA to last, and how long manufacturing and shipping will take. Vivendi has the ultimate say about when the product will get into our grubby little hands.

If you haven't noticed, all the major game retailers have early Sept forecasted for HL2 now. Just because Vivendi hasn't given Walmart a new date for HL2-Xbox doesn't mean crap.

So to summarize today's lesson: 1) Vivendi is constantly communicating between their developers and their retailers, that's their JOB. The retailers DO know more than you about the estimated release date. If you think Valve doesn't tell Vivendi any more than they tell us, you're on crack. 2) All major retailers predict first week in Sept. It's unlikely to be shipped before then. Getting your hopes up for a summer (June July Aug) release is a bad idea.

dscowboy said:
The way you guys talk about retailer dates reminds me of how you guys talked about retailer dates back when you were still convinced Sept 30 was going to happen. The retailers obviously knew it wasn't, long before we did. Say what you want about Fragmaster, but he was right when he said Vivendi told all the retailers in mid summer that HL2 would not make Sept.

Something I hear all the time on here is that "retailers dont know anything more than us", which is just patently false. It's Vivendi's BUSINESS to know exactly what Valve's delivery estimate is at all times and to update the retailers on this, millions of dollars are forecasted based on these dates and a change of just a few weeks can have considerable impact on Vivendi's quarterly earnings and shareholder value. Valve doesn't publicly announce their estimated completion date because fans like us flip out every time it changes. In addition, the only thing Valve is responsible for is delivering the product to Vivendi for QA, Vivendi has to determine how long they expect their QA to last, and how long manufacturing and shipping will take. Vivendi has the ultimate say about when the product will get into our grubby little hands.

If you haven't noticed, all the major game retailers have early Sept forecasted for HL2 now. Just because Vivendi hasn't given Walmart a new date for HL2-Xbox doesn't mean crap.

So to summarize today's lesson: 1) Vivendi is constantly communicating between their developers and their retailers, that's their JOB. The retailers DO know more than you about the estimated release date. If you think Valve doesn't tell Vivendi any more than they tell us, you're on crack. 2) All major retailers predict first week in Sept. It's unlikely to be shipped before then. Getting your hopes up for a summer (June July Aug) release is a bad idea.

You are describing a perfect business. Great theory but doesn't happen in real life. I did a small paper (10 pages single space :eek: ) writing about problems of forecasting and supply problems with retailers. You would be surprised how few manufacturers and retailers properly use forecasting or even communicate to retailers. I can only name two stores/manufacturers off of the top of my head, Walmart and World Company, Ltd that even attempt to communicate with their suppliers and/or forecast properly.

Even if Vivideni did have an idea of a HL2 release date, chances are it wouldn't be properly communicated (if at all) to any retailer.

:naughty: YEAAAH!! OOOOKAAAAAAY!!!! WHAAAT!!?!? I'M RICK JAMES BIIIATCH!

blahblahblah said:
Even if Vivideni did have an idea of a HL2 release date, chances are it wouldn't be properly communicated (if at all) to any retailer.

Er, it's pretty obvious that Vivendi has told the retailers to expect it in early Sept. They didn't all just make the same date up coincidentally.

no. the retailers didnt pull the date out their ass. they got it from vivendi, because vivendi is goin on the the premise that it is that latest possible date, based on a 'summer release' because no matter how the callenders view summer, most people view august as an end to summer.

August IS the last month of summer. Sept on the other hand, is NOT summer. But whatever, I'm sure Valve has a very loose concept of the term Summer.

Again, Vivendi does not just make this stuff up. They don't go to a release scheduling meeting and say "Well heck, we haven't been able to get ahold of Valve for a few months... let's just make up a crazy guess!" No, there is a person at Valve designated to field Vivendi's phone calls on a regular basis and update them on how the development on their flagship product is advancing versus the schedule. Vivendi does this with all their developers, and uses the info to update their release map, which their reps use when communicating with retailers. You don't become a major publisher without having a process for knowing WTF is going on with the products you're supposed to be selling.

You guys have some weird ideas about how business works.

goldenboi said:
LOL you know how you guys said Wallfart had a release date of July 2nd for HL2? Well now they pushed it to 9/02/04, yet they have the XBOTCHX version set for June 2nd!! LOL. Crap's not even in devleopment yet. WALL MART w00tage to teh 1d!075! :thumbs:

The X-box version is close to being finished.

dscowboy said:
August IS the last month of summer. Sept on the other hand, is NOT summer. But whatever, I'm sure Valve has a very loose concept of the term Summer.

Again, Vivendi does not just make this stuff up. They don't go to a release scheduling meeting and say "Well heck, we haven't been able to get ahold of Valve for a few months... let's just make up a crazy guess!" No, there is a person at Valve designated to field Vivendi's phone calls on a regular basis and update them on how the development on their flagship product is advancing versus the schedule. Vivendi does this with all their developers, and uses the info to update their release map, which their reps use when communicating with retailers. You don't become a major publisher without having a process for knowing WTF is going on with the products you're supposed to be selling.

You guys have some weird ideas about how business works.

The problem isn't with Vivendi knowing when an expected ship date for a game is. The problem is that most retailers don't know. There is not a whole lot of formal communication going on between Vivendi and Walmart/Amazon/EB Games. You go to five different websites you are likely to get 5 different release dates. It wasn't that long ago when Walmart had a release date of early July and they just changed it to late August/early September.

Release dates are a dime a dozen unless they are specifically announced by Valve. I would somewhat Value information given by Vivendi, but would be skeptical unless affirmed by Valve.

CyberSh33p said:
walmart makes me miserable. battalions of white trash and screaming unhappy children. ugh.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I make it a point to avoid Wal-mart at all costs but one night after work I decided to go there to buy something and guess what happens when I get into line? The line is held up because some ghetto morons in front of me decide that it was a good time to break their piggy bank and get rid of some loose change. About $20 worth of loose change. It must've taken them 15 minutes of counting and re-counting before they realized they didn't have enough money. Then when my turn comes up the jackass cashier decides to change her bank. It took every shred of self control for me to not go completely postal. Never again will I shop at that cesspool of defective genetic material.

who told you walmarkt was any good anyway?

I don't know what they possible could say to their customers/retailers about the release date. You don't believe me ? Just take a look at my sig. They're not sure if they make it..AGAIN.

dscowboy knows what he's on about I think. Multimillion dollar businesses arent as disorganised as some of you make them out to be...

I prepaid for a copy of HL2 at EB the other day. They have it slated for November. Ouch.

ScopeD, Rick Ellis was being facetious. I can't believe there are people who didn't cotton on to that.

No, I tell a lie, I can believe it. I just don't want to.

dscowboy said:
Er, it's pretty obvious that Vivendi has told the retailers to expect it in early Sept. They didn't all just make the same date up coincidentally.

I see you haven't found out the magic way retailers pick their dates.

All it takes is:

- A couple of pieces of paper with dates on them
- A dartboard
- A few darts
- And a drunk chimpanzee

In other words: the dates are completely random.

i seriously hope it comes out before sep :/ its already been a whole year since we found out about it. thats a long time to wait for 1 game! its pissin me off :/

Dunno where you live but here summer last from june 21st till septembre 21st

-=Nemesis=- said:
Dunno where you live but here summer last from june 21st till septembre 21st
OMFG!!! A september realease is plausible after all! :(

chimpmunk said:
OMFG!!! A september realease is plausible after all! :(

thats wot i said. surely it won't take ALL summer to test the game ffs :/

wouldn't you expect valve to try and keep retailers informed and not hide dates cos us fanboys flip out? I would expect valve to keep us as up to date as possible considering it's obvious that kids without a lot of money will wanna plan and save for its release. Not to mention Valves influences over the hardware market right now, ATI in particular.

Its the retailers fault, they should put TBC (or similar) valve dont wanna give a date because they know even if they completed and went gold on time, they would probbally miss the date by a few days anyway, its just damn retailers competing for preorders.

Back