War Of The Worlds; Speculation

Omega11

Reaction score
I know, this movie is OLD, but I have one question, a very interesting one I realised recently:

Why The Hell does the Ferry work? And HOW the hell did they get cars on it?

Just out of curiousity, because it slipped my mind that the EMP was used in the beginning, and no one had a working car (except Tom Cruise and the van, that he LOST before gettingt to the ferry) but how did they get cars onto the ferry (because they must have, or seemed to be, recently place) and how did they get the thing started? =\

It just doesn't make sense, and I don't expect any replies at all, this movie is so old anyways =P

older diesel motors will still work after an EMP since they would lack electrical fuel management and diesel motors don't use spark. That's just my guess though...and I can't tell you why the cars work.

edit: spelling...

The EMP only happened where the tripods emerged, like when they want to the mothers house and the lights were still working. Near the beginning of the movie when he told the mechanic to only replace the solenoid on the starter motor that was total BS, because the computer would have also been fried in the van.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the fuel pump motor might have also been fried due to the EMP.

I loved that movie. Probably the only movie where I could tolerate Tom Cruise.

How bout because it made no ****ing sense anyway, and didn't even try to.

Why not question why aliens would bury machines inside the earth and leave them there for god knows how long, only to come back years later... IN LIGHTNING... to pilot said machines and attempt to take over the planet. Ignoring the fact that if they were ready to go to such elaborate lengths just to prepare for their conquest of earth, then surely they could have just as easily colonised it for themselves in the first place and avoided the whole thing.

Back to the machines though, did it not strike anyone as extremely stupid that they were conquering earth in what could have been centuries-old technology (I don't recall if a time was specified)? If we just barely managed to beat those back, what's stopping them from using whatever other insane technology they've developed in the mean time? And we already know they'd be able to transport it over, since - A) they had to fly down in pods to get here in the first place, and B) the old machines had to get there somehow.

****. Absolutely could not abide the plot in that movie. Stupid, stupid, stupid alterations that don't do anything to put it ahead of the original version. Not least of all setting it in modern day - I can understand the temptation, but the changes required to make it plausible only make it all the more IMplausible.

And for that matter, when the aliens come down to search around in the basement they're hiding in and "almost" spot them about 50 times in what I could only guess was a shit-arsed attempt to try and build suspense, why didn't they just blow it away after they got back to their tripods? They have no ****ing use for it anymore - if there was ANY chance of anyone still being down there, you think any intelligent being bent on obliteration would just waste it to be on the safe side.

Also, HOW ****ING CRAP DID THE ALIENS LOOK? Fark, they were better as inanimate husks of leathery brain, and that's saying something.

Gah. Stupid, stupid, stupid movie.

Ok, I'm done.

Edit - Holy shit, one more thing. Heat ray >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> whatever the **** that vacuum thing was. Melted faces = horror. Pants flying everywhere = not.

I really liked it lol, thought the acting and special effects were superb. But yeah there were some very humerous flaws to the plot. The best being the fact that a massive airliner crashed into the house they were staying in, taking out the entire street with it. But low and behold, there car remains unscaved on the driveway. I lol'd.

Yeah. Some of the events in the movie did sort of make me think, "hurr, hurr, wut?".

I liked it for the special FX and the atmosphere they managed to create in the first half of the film, however that was thrown out the window from the moment the aliens began to die like flies. That's probably the stupidest part of the story an advanced civilisation that was planing the conquest of Earth for who know how long, was beaten down by germs:upstare:. You'd think they would have known of any potentially lethal micro organisms and come prepared.:LOL:

I liked it for the special FX and the atmosphere they managed to create in the first half of the film, however that was thrown out the window from the moment the aliens began to die like flies. That's probably the stupidest part of the story an advanced civilisation that was planing the conquest of Earth for who know how long, was beaten down by germs:upstare:. You'd think they would have known of any potentially lethal micro organisms and come prepared.:LOL:

Yeah, you'd expect them to like, ATLEAST have some sort of air sampling system, or HAZ MAT like suits. . .

Well you can sort of the draw the line there since its sci-fi/fiction. If you were being that harsh you could critise every single sci-fi/fiction plot made.

Because there was a ferry scene in the original book (Though it was the protagonist's brother who was on it), which was awesome and ends in the crew of a battleship sacrificing themselves by ramming the ship into a tripod, and since the book was writen in 1898 it didn't have an EMP in it, and they put the ferry scene into the film without thinking about it much (They didn't seem to think about anything much really, riding the lightning into the ground, WTF?)

which was awesome and ends in the crew of a battleship sacrificing themselves by ramming the ship into a tripod

Kind of like in War of the Servers!:cheese:

But god, that movie, to me, was the death of Tom Cruise's career...

War of the Worlds was shit.

Ditto, just sum's up how I felt about that ****ing movie. :|

I mean come on, the entire plot absolutely made no sense. Aliens eating the human brains; the end was shite, a bacteria that humans were immune to caused all aliens to be really sick, within' 24 hours.

I actually liked it. . i guess partly because i went to watch it with ZERO expectations because i had heard so much bad stuff about it from so many ppl.. . .but it wasn't half bad. . .

wasnt the best movie ever but there are definately worse. . .

and somehow the movie was more horrifying than 28 Days Later to me. . .

I actually liked it. . i guess partly because i went to watch it with ZERO expectations because i had heard so much bad stuff about it from so many ppl.. . .but it wasn't half bad. . .

wasnt the best movie ever but there are definately worse. . .

and somehow the movie was more horrifying than 28 Days Later to me. . .

OH

HELL

NO!!!

28 Days Later, was the BEST ****ing Zombie movie EVER! The ending wasn't great. . . But. . . no way in HELL was WOTW better that 28DL. . . JUST NO!!!

ANYWAYS, the only 'scary' part of WOTW was when the guy shot the other guy, and stole the van, just because THAT was the most realistic part, how desperate people can be to live, I wouldn't be as scared of the aliens, as I would with my desperate fellow man.

And I think the movie was like. . . 3 days, so that's 72 hours :dozey:

Back