Was Far Cry that borked?

RABIES

Reaction score
OMG, I just checked for a new patch for Far Cry and it turned out that the day after I re-installed it they released a new patch v1.2. What got me was the number of fixes, I never even knew it was that bad?

Far Cry v1.2 Fix List

It's gross the number of bugs, but cool that they fixed most of them. Oh yeah, that and they added QUICK SAVE!

/me adds "borked" to his vocabulary

You guys have never heard the term "borked?"
It's not even a typo.. it's internet slang (I'm against internet slang, but I don't mind borked :))

I don't care how much they fixed... I can no longer play it at all.
It goes through loading and then gives me the "CRITICAL ERROR: entity classname Forklift classid=96 id=828d CANNOT BE LOADED" error and closes. :(

Snakebyte said:
I don't care how much they fixed... I can no longer play it at all.
It goes through loading and then gives me the "CRITICAL ERROR: entity classname Forklift classid=96 id=828d CANNOT BE LOADED" error and closes. :(
If you're trying to load a saved game, I wouldn't bother, since the 1.2 patch won't work with old save games.

If you're trying to load a saved game, I wouldn't bother, since the 1.2 patch won't work with old save games.
\
Shouldnt they fix that first. It seems like much more of a bug then some of the other stuff on that list.

Abom said:
It sounded to me like some saves were working for some people but not all.
I'm sure as hell not starting the game over, and I don't really feel like reinstalling it w/ the 1.1 patch.

Snakebyte said:
It sounded to me like some saves were working for some people but not all.
I'm sure as hell not starting the game over, and I don't really feel like reinstalling it w/ the 1.1 patch.

Run the game with -developer flag.. you can pick the level you start at. Sure, it's not EXACTLY the same.. but it saves alot of trouble

I loaded my old games with the 1.2patch installed...
Why is it that I never have driver crashes or issues yet others do. :\

Asus said:
Well, many others have had problems. Hell, it evens says that there are compatability problems in the changelog.

Asus said:
Why is it that I never have driver crashes or issues yet others do. :\

Honestly, I'm in the same boat as you. I read about all sorts of hardware incompatibility issues with FC, Steam, etc.. yet, I've NEVER had any of these problems.

I guess knowing how to keep your computer running properly is a big plus here. I just scanned for spyware after about 2 months of not doing it, and all I had were some minor tracking cookies
/me gives himself a pat on the back for having his computer properly configured/"clean"

Shuzer said:
Honestly, I'm in the same boat as you. I read about all sorts of hardware incompatibility issues with FC, Steam, etc.. yet, I've NEVER had any of these problems.

I guess knowing how to keep your computer running properly is a big plus here. I just scanned for spyware after about 2 months of not doing it, and all I had were some minor tracking cookies
* Shuzer gives himself a pat on the back for having his computer properly configured/"clean"
/me pats Shuzer on the back

Same here, for one thing, I've gotten some bad spyware and even viruses before, but just used my virus and spyware programs and they were gone, never came back. My friend gets some of the same things, cleans them with the virus and spyware programs, but his computer is still loaded with the garbage.

getting back on topic

It seems that gameplay has sped up quite a bit, averaging in 10-20 MORE fps on fully loaded settings for a whopping 65-90fps total.
That and the loading screens seem to be as borked as the saved games. Crashing out (not BSOD) to the desktop during "some" of the loading screens. A simple reload of the game seems to work, almost like it never crashed?

What they need to do is make an option for the levels to where it not only cuts back or "fogs out" terrain in the distance, but to where it also loads the level as you play. VS pushing the entire viewable area into RAM and then loading as you go from there, it honestly just takes too long. That swamp level loads by far the fastest, I think because of it's veiwing distance.

I actually saw a lot of improvments in getting a smoother avg framerate, less sudden slowdowns

with regards to the other subject:

I agree here, my system is bascially the same way, however I built it myself (number 12 for me), installed the OS and the apps, and I do a maintenance session once a month: drivers, patches, spyware, antivirus, defrag, etc..

I think a lot of people, mostly from a lack of education on the matter, seem to think that computers are a "set and forget", which as we know is WAY wrong.

/me looks at the number of fixes

I suppose thats what happens when you rush something out to try beat the competition, throw together an ending, change your mind too many times and use software you don't have a manual for *shrugs*

FarCry could have been something amazing, but it wasn't.

We should really not be surprised with this anymore, this is how the industry runs now.
I really cant remember the last time I bought a piece of SW that worked out of the box and did not have at least ONE signifcant patch/update. The days of extensive in house quality control, multiple betas, and a true "when its done mentality" are basically dead and buried. The sheer volume of lines of code and complexity of SW in 2004, combined with razor thin profit margins have put us where we are today.

Murray_H said:
And because fenric said that, it's the law

Just my opinion, I gave it a try, i thought the demo was pretty neat. But the full game just fell flat.

And you can't tell me the ending was good :)

Mind you, I didn't think all that much of Hitman contracts neither *hides and prepares for a beating*

The Dark Elf said:
Just my opinion, I gave it a try, i thought the demo was pretty neat. But the full game just fell flat.

And you can't tell me the ending was good :)

Mind you, I didn't think all that much of Hitman contracts neither *hides and prepares for a beating*

Oh i wasn't trying to say you were wrong, i agree, it was a poor game in my eyes. Not one feature i would reinstall it for.

Far Cry has always been good to me :|

It's that awful Soldner I chose to buy instead of Joint Operations that really pisses me off

Murray_H said:
Oh i wasn't trying to say you were wrong, i agree, it was a poor game in my eyes. Not one feature i would reinstall it for.

What did impress me was it was quick on my machine, I didn't experience the slow downs some have. And I admit the atmosphere in the tree top level was pretty cool.

But yeah, I'd not play it again.

Ok, I was looking on some of the FarCry forums, and it looks like ATI card owners got the shaft on this patch. I saw at least 30+ enraged ATI owners that were irate with the new patch. I have a 9600XT and the game cannot be played. I crash before I can even get into a game, and I tried both starting a new game and loading my save games. I tried messing with the Video options. I guess that Crytek officially said to reinstall the game without 1.2 and wait for a new patch to come out. Gay.

The Dark Elf said:
*Smacks up Fenric*

Contracts was ace!

Azrael. Yeah thats pretty shitty thing to do to ATI owners :(

Abom, I've still got the bruises from the last beating I got for my comments on Contracts :E

The Dark Elf said:
Abom, I've still got the bruises from the last beating I got for my comments on Contracts :E
Rightfully so, many people seem to hate it, but I honestly can't see why - it's just slick and stylish fun.

The Dark Elf said:
* The Dark Elf looks at the number of fixes

I suppose thats what happens when you rush something out to try beat the competition, throw together an ending, change your mind too many times and use software you don't have a manual for *shrugs*

FarCry could have been something amazing, but it wasn't.
haha so true.

ewilson248 said:
We should really not be surprised with this anymore, this is how the industry runs now.
I really cant remember the last time I bought a piece of SW that worked out of the box and did not have at least ONE signifcant patch/update.
Yeah thats true.
Although GTA:VC never had any major patches. ;)

Shuzer said:

/me gives himself a pat on the back for having his computer properly configured/"clean"
Thats the same with me, my Softmodded 9800SE runs DE:IW and Theif III better than a 9800 Pro :eek:

Interesting, just caught the post by Azrael that was closed I guess because of this one? Anyway, did Ubisoft really officially recall the patch because of ATi issues? I have noticed absolutely no issues whatsoever, if anything it's running better than it was before! Or are the effects noticeable later on like in the later levels?

Hehe, now I wonder if Patch v1.3 will outweigh v1.2 in number of fixes?! :naughty:

The broke the binoculars in the 1.2 patch! Not really a biggie.. but they binocs don't target the enemies anymore... or at least not as well as they used to.

Back