water on the moon bitch!

<RJMC>

The Freeman
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8359744.stm
Nasa's experiment last month to find water on the Moon was a major success, US scientists have announced.

The agency smashed a rocket and probe into a large crater at the lunar south pole, hoping to kick up ice.

Scientists who have studied the data now say instruments trained on the impact plume saw copious quantities of water vapour.

One researcher described this as the equivalent of "a dozen two-gallon buckets" of water.

The 1.6km-high plume of debris was kicked up by the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS) last month when it crashed into a crater near the Moon's south pole.

"We're unlocking the mysteries of our nearest neighbour and, by extension, the Solar System," said Michael Wargo, chief lunar scientist at Nasa's headquarters in Washington DC.

I will open the first strip club

I say we nuke it and get all the water for ourselves.

It'll serve them martians right.

I demand a video clip of NASA cheering in the control room, like in the movies.

well this is pretty cool...not as cool as finding gatorade, but cool nonetheless

Why'd they say 'a dozen two gallon buckets' and not just say '24 gallons'.

pretty cool news, i hope the water on the moon is ever replenish able

Where thar be water, thar be whales!
space whales
You pineapple.

The correct response is:
And if thar be whales, thar be a need for whalin'!

whalers8kp.jpg

ITT: people not acknowledging Futurama references and making me cry :(

To be fair, I'm pretty sure every-time the moon comes up (which appears to be more regularly than you'd think) someone makes the whalers reference. I just wanted to be the one this time. I would like to thank RJMC for making it possible.

"One of these days Alice... Bang! Zoom! Straight to the Moon!"

This is awesome. I saw the Google logo for it and was like "What's the occasion" and then I saw all the news articles. I guess it doesn't come as a huge surprise, but still very cool.

They have been talking about this a lot, I don't really see the big deal.

Back