Water Problem

Interitus

Reaction score
I've got a secret area accessible under water thru a pipe, and then you come up out of the water into the area. But for some reason, when underneath, its showing the skybox, and then when passing thru the top of the water you can see outside of my map, like you've got noclip on.

Here is what it looks like passing thru the waterline:
WaterProblem1.jpg

And this is what is above the waterline.
WaterProblem2.jpg

Does the water automatically reflect the skybox from below? I've got all settings set to high, so it should be reflecting all (which it doesnt, more on that in a bit)

Originally, I just had one water brush filling the pipe and into the little area, but I've made it more form-fitting to the pipe. I have an envmap for the surface that you can see, and its placed right in the little area, and cannot see the outside map, and isnt clipping anything.
Is the engine, or possibly the water material I'm using just built that way? Or is there anything I can do?

Second problem, my water isnt reflecting the props in my 3dskybox. I have reflect all turned on in my settings, but to no avail.

first make sure that only the top layer of ur water is the water texture, and the rest should be nodraw, there are 2 types of water, expensive water, and cheap water....trying using the water that has watername_exp on the end. 2nd of all, im guessing you forgot to place a cubemap on top of ur water and buildcubemaps when in game

Water problems for everyone!

Error
Water problems

Fix
Water textures will not be displayed if your map has a leak. Water will not reflect properly unless it has a cubemap near it and you have run buildcubemaps (with the game console). Water is supposed to be a world brush, not a brush entity. You may not be able to see water unless you run VIS; in other cases, water worked perfectly without VIS. Having two different elevations of reflective water in the same PVS is not allowed. Try a different water texture if all else fails.

it can be an entity. analog water moves and displays fine as long as you build cubemaps it doesnt matter what brush it is.

it can be an entity. analog water moves and displays fine as long as you build cubemaps it doesnt matter what brush it is.
Static water should always be a world brush. Entity water should never be expected to perform well :p

Back