Weapon Half Life 2 is sorely missing

Deathwish-uk-

Reaction score
Half Life 2 is missing a very important weapon, the Combine seem so damn organised. Surely, they won't go into combat disorganised. I mean the SMG is great and all, but SMGs are more suited to CQB, and arent effective at a long range. The Overwatch Pulse Rifle seems to be a more of a LMG role, as a support weapon to lay down covering fire, so the squad can advance.

One weapon that most armies wouldn't go into battle without, is a rifle. It would allow the Combine soldiers with SMGs to get closer to the target while the dude with the rifle can pin the target down with constant, accurate fire. The Rifle should be like an M16, not the weapon you want in CQB due to recoil. But great for medium distances.

Someone should mod a decent rifle for the SP game.

why ???
you have the pulse rifle <- RIFLE its good the way it is "if" you want 2 put a nother rifle in hl2 do the oicw (it should have been in theire anyway)

i thought the smg should have had the zoom shown in the barrier video, that would have made the smg more medium-ranged as well as for CQB

rf

There's already enough automatic weapons.
We need single-shot guns.

Well, I missed a good rifle AND a heavy support rifle.
That overwatch rifle really isn't anything interesting to me. Too weak, too inacurate and too low on ammo/rounds.
And the second fireoption takes too long to load.
But hey, the shotgun rocks!

Overwatch Rifle too weak? Ooo-kay.

Though I do agree, it does seem like the Combine could use something more. Oh, well.

problem with the overwatch rifl;e is that it is very inaccurate, just as much as the smg And no amount of crouching or firing in bursts helps your accuracy. The very limited ammo supply doesn't help much either. You only have 3 mags.

Flyingdebris said:
problem with the overwatch rifl;e is that it is very inaccurate, just as much as the smg And no amount of crouching or firing in bursts helps your accuracy. The very limited ammo supply doesn't help much either. You only have 3 mags.

Inaccurate?? What game have have you been playing? I thought it was one of the more accurate weapons in the game. The SMG is a lot more inaccurate than the pulse rifle. I could always hit people accurately from afar with the pulse rifle, something I couldn't dream of doing with anything but the crossbow or RPG.

you fools! the one weapon the game is mising are the snarks!!!! they r the best weapon to ever come out of a pc game! not to mention the funniest.

but alas, there are no snarks in hl2, or snark type weaons like throwable manhacks or mines n stuff, oh well.

it would be so easy to mod hl2 from a combine perspective and then be able to deploy hoppers, manhacks, turrets, flares and whatnot. That would be an ownage mod

rumblefish said:
i thought the smg should have had the zoom shown in the barrier video, that would have made the smg more medium-ranged as well as for CQB
Hold Z. It's a feature of the HEV suit. :)

The overwatch rifle is dam accurate, it just consumes ammo like a mad man

The SMG is for CQB and the OPR is an LMG, eh?

Okay...

CIA and FBI and IRS and SGI and ETA and LBW and LMB and RMB... I love TLAs...

I think HL2 needed some kind of heavy-duty energy based projectile weapon maybe shooting glowing balls that would link up to each other in a bola like fashion.

There was never any moment where the Combine would really manage to get you on the defensive. Having a "holy shit" type weapon would have changed that.

I think they should have some single shot weapons like mentioned above(sorry I can't remember your name)Holds around 10 ammo, is accurate as the magnum(which is really accurate) and its not automatic. If the combine had that type of weapon, they would have to introduce it late in the game(at least after you get the bow)or else you would get your ass kicked. It would kinda look like the M1 Garand, except it looks more sleek and it shouts out neutronized crystal shards. Insane =P.

Yea... what about an explode-on-impact grenade launcher?
It would have been alot harder to fight someone with that, and a squad of soldiers... it's fine when they throw a grenade, but in hl1, when a marine fired and grenade, it was usually a problem for me, because it was close up and does splash damage AND explodes on impact.

Deathwish-uk- said:
Half Life 2 is missing a very important weapon, the Combine seem so damn organised. Surely, they won't go into combat disorganised. I mean the SMG is great and all, but SMGs are more suited to CQB, and arent effective at a long range. The Overwatch Pulse Rifle seems to be a more of a LMG role, as a support weapon to lay down covering fire, so the squad can advance.

One weapon that most armies wouldn't go into battle without, is a rifle. It would allow the Combine soldiers with SMGs to get closer to the target while the dude with the rifle can pin the target down with constant, accurate fire. The Rifle should be like an M16, not the weapon you want in CQB due to recoil. But great for medium distances.

Someone should mod a decent rifle for the SP game.

yeah...... Hl2 lacked this tactical feeling and details, it is weird and hard to figure out why are H&K so plentyfull in eastern europe and you don´t see a single AK..................

H&K are a german company aren't they? maybe they had a gun factory established nearby when the combine took over that area.

smoke said:
you fools! the one weapon the game is mising are the snarks!!!! they r the best weapon to ever come out of a pc game! not to mention the funniest.

but alas, there are no snarks in hl2, or snark type weaons like throwable manhacks or mines n stuff, oh well.

Well you did have the Antlion Pherapods, Hopper mines and Tripod Guns. I could never get the Hoppers to be that effective though.

Pulse-Rifle is one of the best for close and long range. Can take out 2-3 Overwatch soldiers at a decent range with one clip. At long range it really depends how you use the rifle. You don't aim for the head at long range, the bullets will fly way beyond what your aiming for, instead you aim at their feet or the waist, your shots tend to get em better like that. :cheers:

Victor2 said:
yeah...... Hl2 lacked this tactical feeling and details, it is weird and hard to figure out why are H&K so plentyfull in eastern europe and you don´t see a single AK..................

Exactly, an AK would be perfect for this role. Just tone down the ammo so it isn't overpowered, say 15 rounds a Magazine. This would help greatly, especially as the SMG is often to inaccurate to hit something far away and you don't want to waste precious crossbow bolts.

diggadow said:
I think they should have some single shot weapons like mentioned above(sorry I can't remember your name)Holds around 10 ammo, is accurate as the magnum(which is really accurate) and its not automatic. If the combine had that type of weapon, they would have to introduce it late in the game(at least after you get the bow)or else you would get your ass kicked. It would kinda look like the M1 Garand, except it looks more sleek and it shouts out neutronized crystal shards. Insane =P.

I would consider the garand a bit over-rated. The Garand contained 8 shots of ammunition, it could not be reloaded in the middle of a magazine and also it wasn't all that fast.

The 10 shot semi-auto you speak of is a German Moiuser ((SP?)) Version, this was with a doubt a kick ass weapon. It could be used as a sniper rifle with bolt action , and a semi-automatic mid range rifle. Not only that but it could be reloaded any time.
That I would enjoy.

Back