Weapons on your back (holster) ?!

schaf

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great to have your (rifle) weapon on your back if you switch weapons to knife or pistol (or grenade)?
Like it is already done with the grenades and the defusekit.

I think it would be nice, because it's more realistic, when your rifle simply doesn't disappear, when you change weapons.

I'd like to see it, that way you'd know what weapon an enemy has if they are using their secondary/knife/nade. Prolly have to wait for CS2 for that though.

ive always thought that itd be a nice improvement, but is it really that hard to do ? im sure for the coders of HL2 and CSS, it cant be too much of a challenge ?

Wraith said:
too much work
No, it isn't.

Wraith said:
thats barely noticeable
No, it's not.

It's totally doable, and totally worthwhile. I can already see the stream of whiney "IT ISN'T CS!1!" spam, to which I'll defer to the CS:S team having already joined the modern era and adding world models for the flashbang/frag/smoke grenades on the player belts.

It should be done, and I hope it will be. I'd also like to see the actual world model in the pistol holster.

Yes Yes Yes!!!

yah I think that that would be pretty neat especially if your pistol was on the side or something!

yeah for sure. would also be good if u dropped primary and sec weapon when u die.

I don't think it would be that hard to code, since it is already done with grenades and the defuse kit.
You have to just add a new place for weapon on the back, I think.
Of courxe you have to test all weapons, if it looks right. But hey we are in a beta right? That would be the right place for that sort of things.
Come on Valve, give us holstered rifles :D

But what about people that go knife primary knife primary knife primary kinfe primary knife primary knife primary knife primary kinfe primary knife primary knife primary knife primary kinfe primary knife primary knife primary knife primary kinfe primary every 3 seconds. It may look a bit strange, but it would look cool

Murray_H said:
But what about people that go knife primary knife primary knife primary kinfe primary knife primary knife primary knife primary kinfe primary knife primary knife primary knife primary kinfe primary knife primary knife primary knife primary kinfe primary

What about people that go knife grenade knife grenade.....

No one complains about that.

Mad Dog said:
No, it isn't.

No, it's not.

It's totally doable, and totally worthwhile. I can already see the stream of whiney "IT ISN'T CS!1!" spam, to which I'll defer to the CS:S team having already joined the modern era and adding world models for the flashbang/frag/smoke grenades on the player belts.

It should be done, and I hope it will be. I'd also like to see the actual world model in the pistol holster.

do you knwo anythign about animating? do your realise how hard and time consuming this would be and adding more bones to the model for physics would cause poor preformance.

its not something that can be done in a minute, it would take weeks

Steven Q Urkle said:
do you knwo anythign about animating? do your realise how hard and time consuming this would be and adding more bones to the model for physics would cause poor preformance.

What are you talking about? I dont even care if it has a 3rd person animation. It would be cool if when you changed weapons to your side arm that your primary would go on your back, just code it so that a 3rd person model of the particular primary is placed on the players back, god, it wouldnt be hard. Do you know anything about coding or animating?

people would start complaining. because they would need to ...

a.) delay the time it takes to fire your weapon after you switch to it because they would have to compensate for the animation of the model reaching to his back for his primary weapon.

b.) people would whine about how unrealistic it looks cuz they pull their primary weapon too fast on the external model.

omg! i think your sig has an error in it... should be less than... :(

why would you have to add more bones ? The Ts already have one for the bomb, so theres no reason why they can use a similar skeleton for the gun. plus, what has physics got to do with it ? the only thing id see as a problem, would when the player dies, does he drop all his weapons, or just the one hes holding ? and in that case, what happens to the one on his back ?

and to John, havnt you noticed that the models do that already ? they move their arms back and grab the other gun ( out of nowhere at the moment ). i think itd boost the games looks, which is what most people are getting so anal about atm :rolleyes:

Steven Q Urkle said:

You are actually wrong and right at the same time here. The animation would take a day to animate, probably less. Since the switch is so quick I don't see the point in animating it, could just be a boolean switch from 0-1, on and off.And to attach a 3rd person rifle would not be much of a hazzle. You don't need more bones, could parent it to one of the bones in the spline.

I think you can use the same animation as for the pistol or the grenade. It's done that fast, nobody would notice, I think.

I would really appreciate to see that ingame :)

Wraith said:
too much work for an aesthetic thats barely noticeable

No it really is'nt that hard to do. But to make it look realistic, with a strap that hangs off your back with real physics as you run and jump etc now thats a challenge. Id rather they spent time and did it this way instead of some jackass way with an M279 glued to your back.

iF.

so what about doing it the "jackass way" now and maybe add the "strap that hangs off your back with real physics" way later?

:bounce:

Handgun can go at the little badly made holster on the side of the player model, and the gun can just lay across the front of you on a sling, shouldn't be too hard of a job to animate.

NiLiTh said:
What about the mac10 or tmp?... :hmph:

good point!

What about doing it the gangsta way and put it in your trousers or only in your belt :naughty:

it doesnt matter at all though, sure it would look cool but who gives a damn? its not like some obvious flaw, and i want them to work on HL2 not shitty CSS

The people saying it would be too hard or difficult don't know what they're talking about. C&C: Renegade has this exact same effect. The next weapon up from the one you're currently holding appears on your back. When you run it moves realistically and makes the game look a lot cooler. It certainly had more of an impact in this game than CS because Renegade was played probably about 70% third person, at least for me anyway. But it would still look nice. Another example of this is the old Rainbow Six games, I believe they had it.

There is no need for them to be physics enabled or whatever, just a little swaying animation when you run similar to Renegade. When you select the weapon, there doesn't need to be an animation, it just pops up in your hand.

do the gun models still stick through the doors and stuff? i got cs:s but havent played it in ages...

Wraith said:
it doesnt matter at all though, sure it would look cool but who gives a damn? its not like some obvious flaw, and i want them to work on HL2 not shitty CSS

if u dont care about cs:s then why r u posting n the cs:s forum?
thats what the hl2 forum is for.

Wraith said:

Off course, you are right. We are all waiting for hl2. I just thought about how to make the game look even better. And to see ur primary weapon on ur back would definitely make it look bette for me !

bump ... more people need to see and write their opinion.

Not hard at all, the models already exist (i.e. on the floor) and it's purely a matter of fixing the position a certain offset from the player.

I think this would be cool also, and when you kill someone with a rifle but *holding* a pistol, they drop both. Bit bent that it only drops the current weapon.

Steven Q Urkle said:

Well, we're not asking valve to do us a miracle. Simply, to encourage change within the conservative CS community.

Rawmassen said:
I think this would be cool also, and when you kill someone with a rifle but *holding* a pistol, they drop both. Bit bent that it only drops the current weapon.

good point !

Back