Weekly Steam News (28/10/05)

Sui

Tank
Reaction score
Over the past month or two, with the likes of Day of Defeat: Source; Rag Doll Kung Fu; a shiny new Steam client and now the beautiful Lost Coast, I’ve pretty much forgotten about Counter Strike. In fact, I haven’t booted up CS in a long time- so when today’s Steam Update News was projected across my monitor, I developed an overwhelming urge to don my Counter-Terrorist uniform again. [br] [br] And with good reason: de_nuke and cs_militia are coming to Source. [br] [br] God I loved those maps. Nuke was excellent for tense tactical encounters, whereas Militia was just so cool because you got to have firefights in a giant house! CS was so fun back then… although admittedly, rather ugly. Unfortunately we haven’t got any screenshots of what the Source conversions of these maps might look like, but in the meantime I’ll leave you with these rather blockish Counter-Strike 1.6 screens. [br] [br] Just stare at them for a while… and imagine what they could look like with the Source engine behind them. I’m drooling already.[br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]Check the whole news post out here, or restart Steam.[br] [br] Oh and by the way… just in case you were misled by the first paragraph, I don’t really have a Counter-Terrorist uniform. [br]
but I do want one : (

maybe they sell ct uniforms on that costume site that stern dislikes so much?

never was a fan of the wasteland'y lookingness of militia and nuke, i'd like to see a more industrialish look. But not too halflife2'y like compound was. heh i'm picky

oh and @ the chat in the screens... :stare:

aww man....i want pics!!!

EDIT: ....YAY!! Next week!!

Still no news of the SDK update. It's been a month since they said "coming soon", i wonder how much longer we'll hafta wait?

de_nuke, cs_ militia... bringing back great memories from years ago

CS 1.6 can't be stopped!!! :monkee:

evil^milk said:
don't forget that the new models are also on their way

I agree. By far the biggest news if you ask me. Gonna be lovely with some diversity.

.bog.

CS_MILITIA! CS_MILITIA! CS_MILITIA! CS...
Damn, only screenies next week. So it'll take another week for nuke to be released, then screenies of cs_milita, then de_nuke released, and then cs_militia. Four weeks, I say.
Now, just gimme cs_estate... :p

EDIT: Movies over Steam? Sounds weird, but hey, if it's doable. Why wont they make this commercial right away? On the other hand, then Steam would become unbelievably bloat.

There is not going to be a cs_militia, the steam post says de_militia.
I hope that it's just a typo :\

I wonder if the de_ prefix is correct, actually....

Somebody pointed out that some of the key maps which you would otherwise expect to be in the first release of CS:S (like militia) were the ones with ladders. And bots canna navigate ladders, captain!

Of course, that was half the fun back in the old CS days - watch hilarity ensue as CT bravely rescues cowering hossies, then lead them down the sewer all the way to the other side of the map, only to be shot dead while standing and yelling at the hossies to get up the ladder at the other end. ;)

Making militia a de_ map could work, though. Just swop the T and CT spawn, liberally add Source as required, serve. :p

(Not sure how you'd get an A AND a B bomb site out of it, though :/)

mace22 said:
Woah, good point. :O I hope it's a typo too...

The map is built for hostage rescue. Making it de would completely destroy the chemistry of the map, and why it's fun in the first place.

Woah, don't recall the hand models being that BLOCKY.

Militia's a good choice. Anyone remember what that dam (yes, dam) map was called? Sort of a wintery theme..? Ergh.

Sounds nice :) Although, haven't played much CS:S. To be true, all that i've been playing is the old CS. Had so much fun with it at LAN a week back... A solid reminder of old days, and the screams and whines remain. (Even got a good shot with my camera, of a good ol' OMG I CANT BELEIVE IT IM DEAD shot)

gogogo old CS, it rocks in all its low detail :eek:) It wasnt the graphics, it was all gameplay :) Reminds me - Quake 4 was released a few days back, wanted to see it at my friends computer - looked like Quake 1... Lol, reminder of how graphics < gameplay in some games :) (He had of course h4x0r3d the cfg to hell)

who ****ing cares about that shit??? give us Aftermath already! And make sure there are no bugs!

mace22 said:
If you check out the steam news update it says cs_militia so it's probably a typo. :)
wooot militia yay.

AFTERMATH!. And how about the fact that they are gonna kill DoD source soon if they dont release a new map or two for that..

Just like HL2:DM.. released it, everyone enjoyed it, never made an effort to get more maps together, and now it's already dead..

I just hope they dont do the same to DoD source

atakgrbl said:
Anyone remember what that dam (yes, dam) map was called? Sort of a wintery theme..? Ergh.

You must be talking about the map De_Survivor on cs:1.6.Yep! it WAS one of the best maps,though nobody was playing it.I still remember falling down from the 2 bridges only to be left with 9 hp.Oh,and the broken ice somewhere over the map.One Of the best maps (for campers),but it was cool anyway.Hope they make it in a proper Source version.

Anyway, the people at valve will do a great job working for those 2 maps an' i hope in the distant future they'll add multiple models for both T and CT...

... or de_vostok. It also is a winter theme (and a Condition Zero map). I'd like to see that map on CS:S.

There are some good militia remakes out there already, just know one plays them.

Back