Weird anyone else think about this?

Asuka

Companion Cube
Reaction score
In Half-Life 2 Lost Coast or in Counter-Strike Source Maps you CAN run HDR with AA/AF. In Serious Sam 2 and I now found out in Oblivion you cannot. Whats the reason for this? Is it because Source engine is better or just does it in a different way.

It's just different, obviously Bethesda didn't feel the need to implement HDR in Oblivion, you'd have to ask them for the reasons for that, I suspect it's due to performance issues.

I think Valve is the first ones to do HDR on with such a little performance hit. Although I have nothing to base this off of, yeah...just being a fanboy.

Because some new engines are built by devs them are left unused as they start work on new engine / game. So it would make sense to not implement features that don't make a huge difference anyway. On the other hand if you have an engine like source that was built to be used on several games, it would make sense to make it as flexible as possible

Or something like that :x

yea thats weired, first i've been thinking that my card ATI X800 PRO would not run HDR, and when LOST COST Released i've try it and its wow

How come I can do HDR in half-life 2 but not in oblivion? the option isn't enabled.

Radeon 9800 pro 128mb.

Raziel-Jcd said:
In Half-Life 2 Lost Coast or in Counter-Strike Source Maps you CAN run HDR with AA/AF. In Serious Sam 2 and I now found out in Oblivion you cannot. Whats the reason for this? Is it because Source engine is better or just does it in a different way.

Is the games you listed using the Source engine? Okay, now don't expect every other game released to have the same thing as the Source engine.....

source was programmed to do hdr with a PS2.0 card and up. also i was programmed to use HDR and AA at the same time.

giant384 said:
source was programmed to do hdr with a PS2.0 card and up. also i was programmed to use HDR and AA at the same time.

OMGZ! He's a robot!

DiSTuRbEd said:
Is the games you listed using the Source engine? Okay, now don't expect every other game released to have the same thing as the Source engine.....
He isn't expecting every other engine to do that, nor does he believe those games are on the source engine. He is simply asking why the source engine can and the others can'tdo that. Your anwser has makes no sense whatsoever, did you even read his post.

Source uses a different type of HDR.

PS2.0 or something like that. I dunno.

mortiz said:
It's just different, obviously Bethesda didn't feel the need to implement HDR in Oblivion, you'd have to ask them for the reasons for that, I suspect it's due to performance issues.

It does have HDR iv read somewhere that you CANT in any game run HDR with AA but in source you CAN. I was wondering of it was a tech thing or just a decision.

Grey Fox said:
He isn't expecting every other engine to do that, nor does he believe those games are on the source engine. He is simply asking why the source engine can and the others can'tdo that. Your anwser has makes no sense whatsoever, did you even read his post.

Thank you exactly. People need to learn how to read.

Raziel-Jcd said:

I heard it was only nVIdia cards that wouldn't let you run both at the same time.

But I don't know anything else. My computer is too clunky to bother with all of that. Atleast it actually runs Oblivion though.

Raziel-Jcd said:
It does have HDR iv read somewhere that you CANT in any game run HDR with AA but in source you CAN. I was wondering of it was a tech thing or just a decision.
From my understanding, it is a tech thing with Nvidia cards. ATI's newest generation can supposedly run both at the same time due to the methodology used.

CyberPitz said:
I think Valve is the first ones to do HDR on with such a little performance hit. Although I have nothing to base this off of, yeah...just being a fanboy.
Wow. My rig completely disagrees with you here. :)

I have an x850xt pe and HDR ruins my fps in Lost Coast and CS:S. Too bad because it looks great, but not great enough for me to sacrifice my framerate.

Reginald said:
I heard it was only nVIdia cards that wouldn't let you run both at the same time.

But I don't know anything else. My computer is too clunky to bother with all of that. Atleast it actually runs Oblivion though.

Ya thats what i heard but then why can i run HDR with AA in source? That is my question.

It's how the developer goes about HDR.
Valve tried HDR many times to find the perfect speed to look ratio. They found a way to offer support for lower level cards to.

Oblivion on the other hand does HDR with a buffer(i forget what it's called), only the 1800+ ATI generation can apply AA to this buffer.

No NVidia card can apply AA to this buffer.

Source dosn't use this buffer.

dream431ca said:
XBOX360 version of Oblivion has HDR and 4X AntiAliaising.
Is that a fact? Well thats a really nice bonus for getting the console version - that is if you don't have a PC or a high-end ATI card. HDR is awesome.

Raziel-Jcd said:
Ya thats what i heard but then why can i run HDR with AA in source? That is my question.

It is because Valve did not use the Shader Model 3 way of doing it like most developers.

VictimOfScience said:
Wow. My rig completely disagrees with you here. :)

I have an x850xt pe and HDR ruins my fps in Lost Coast and CS:S. Too bad because it looks great, but not great enough for me to sacrifice my framerate.

wow, when i enable hdr on my computer with a x850xt i can still run it, average of around 40 fps dipping down to 30ish every now and then

Minerel said:
It's how the developer goes about HDR.
Valve tried HDR many times to find the perfect speed to look ratio. They found a way to offer support for lower level cards to.

Oblivion on the other hand does HDR with a buffer(i forget what it's called), only the 1800+ ATI generation can apply AA to this buffer.

No NVidia card can apply AA to this buffer.

Source dosn't use this buffer.

Ty that is the anwser to my question.

Back