what are race x?

who is gman?

Reaction score
focusing on the half life universe (and not speculating about whether the game designers fitted it in well enough), what are race x?

are they the combine? i doubt this very much. i think they are a race who has not yet encountered (and been enslaved by) the combine

what is their relationship with the xen aliens? i think they were from another universe and were drawn in by the portals. evidence? well until recently i thought that you never see xen aliens and race x together, but this is not true. in OF at the dam, if you dont blow up the gargantua and go to the other side of it using the barnacle, two shock troopers appear. then if you run in the water and then go back up (using a barnacle) you will see that the shock troopers are attacking the gargantua. xen aliens dont attack gargantuas (is this correct?)

My assumption is that Race X is merely a species that exists alongside (not peacefully) the standard Xen aliens, probably set aside in that they have a different appearance and behaviour to that of their counterparts. I'd put them at odds with the standard Xen aliens, such as the alien grunt and vortigaunts as enemies. Simply because two species come from the same world doesn't neccesarily mean that they get along just fine.

You think that race x came from xen? I dunno about that... So you're saying that race x is a group of species which came from the same world as the xen aliens?

Well the portals were on Xen. Gearbox added them to have more thrill and new enemies.

I don't think there's any real concrete grounding on who, what, or where they are from. All in all I don't think it matters because we won't be seeing them again.

I don't think there's any real concrete grounding on who, what, or where they are from. All in all I don't think it matters because we won't be seeing them again.

Hey, I don't care what the dinosaurs were cos I won't be seeing them again! :O

They're not important. Just another alien race that the science team pissed off. Evidence points to them being Xenian. There are baby Race-X shocktroopers being tested in Black Mesa (Remember the spore launcher?) and the spores that they use as grenades were growing in the Xenian bio-dome habitiat set up in Black Mesa.

The shock troopers are just soldiers, either come on along to retreive their weaponary/babies - however you percieve the spore launcher. The also lay out some additional revenge such as kidnapping the scientist, and i dont think they've encountered the xen aliens before, and what your not familiar with, you attack, ie the garg. The voltigores and pit drones i believe are just fauna who hitched a ride much like the headcrabs and bullsquids.

It was said somewhere that they were pulled through the RC (probably because Xen is a crossroads for dimensions) and the Race X came through to rescue the baby Race X that were captured and tested (although they still kidnapped human scientists)

You think that race x came from xen? I dunno about that... So you're saying that race x is a group of species which came from the same world as the xen aliens?

They share similar traits and can survive in the Black Mesa Xen culture biodomes. A single eye, a third arm, both things which they share with the standard Xen aliens. Just think a wolf and a sheep: they exist in the same world, although they don't get along.

@ Piers: I'm not sure about pit drones, but I remember voltigores fighting along side shock troopers. I guess they're demosticated. Shock Roaches appear to be animals too.
Whether Race X has encounted Xenian aliens before it a complete mystery. I doubt that they were at war with eachother before the Black Mesa Incident (Not really sure why, I just do) so my guess is that they hadn't really enoutered eachother much.

@ Fadeaway: Vortigaunts in HL1 have 6 eyes, 4 in HL2. Alien Grunts have 3. Nihilanth, I think, has 5. Alien controllers and Race X have 1. The eyes of the Vortigaunts, Grunts and Controllers are very different to that of Race X. Vortigaunts, Grunts, Nihilanth and Controllers have 3 arms and Race X have 4 each.

Maybe they were another pan-dimensional species who decided to join in the fight? But that disregards the spore guns. Hm... maybe the portals that the scientists had been going through at Black Mesa had also gone to the race x world?

There is no reason to believe that they went to anywhere but Xen.

MOre than likely X invaded Xen, they have a large worm that is supposed to help them adapt to different environments which shows them as a conquering force

Back