what are the differents cards in the serie 6800 ??

Reaction score
i went to the nvidia official website, they don't give much information on that. Plz tell me what are the differents cards in the serie 6800 and their difference in term of price and performance. I was initially planning to get a x800 but i ended up buying one of the 6800 cards. The card is slightly more expensive than x800. All it says on the box is v9999 gamer edition. Am i getting a good card, will it run hl2 in max with decent framerate ?? I can run doom3 on max with ultra and 1600x1200, but I do experience lag for like 0,5 sec when i have to see a new area in the game, like while opening doors.

6800 Series

6800: 128MB card, DDR1 memory, 12 pipelines. Perforrms around a 9800XT.

6800GT: 256mb card, GDDR3, 16 pipelines. Performs better than an x800 Pro in most cases. Considered the value currently

6800 Ultra: Top card in the line. 256mb card, gddr3, 16pipelines. It and and the X800XT PE trade blows in most benchmarks. Great card.

v9999. Hmm, this is sorta throwing me... [ur;=http://www.gamers-depot.com/hardware/video_cards/asus/v9999ge/001.htm]this review[/url] says that it only has 12 pipelines, but Asus's website has the msrp at 399 (6800GT price) and the spec sheet says that it has 256MB DDR3, like a 6800GT....

Asus you know anything?

There's also a 6800 Ultra Extreme which is an Ultra that ships with pre-overclocked clocks, probably the best graphics card out there at the mo. Expensive tho.

The 6800 GT is the easiest and best to overclock, so it's the best option to buy. Cheap too.

yea the v9999 isthe GT but only with 12 pipelines...dunno why its 400 bucks

but the vanilla 6800 only has 128mb of ddr1 memory, and the v9999 has 256mb gddr3

lePobz said:
There's also a 6800 Ultra Extreme which is an Ultra that ships with pre-overclocked clocks, probably the best graphics card out there at the mo. Expensive tho.

The 6800 GT is the easiest and best to overclock, so it's the best option to buy. Cheap too.

BFG pre-overclocks all of their cards but give them a lifetime warranty, so their Ultra I think is like an Extreme. And yeah the GT is the best one out there for the price.

so which card is mine ?? is it the same as gt ? does it run half life 2 on max ? i know ati perform better than nvidia in hl2. the guy who sold me this card said that i can exchange for another card within 15 days.

bosox188 said:
BFG pre-overclocks all of their cards but give them a lifetime warranty, so their Ultra I think is like an Extreme. And yeah the GT is the best one out there for the price.

Yeah that's right, BFG clock a 6800 ultra from 400 (ultra) to 450 (ultra extreme) - there's also XFX doing a 450 clock ultra, and Gainward doing a watercooled (CoolFX) 6800 ultra with a core clock in excess of 500mhz and memory over 1200 - although you probably need to be a millionaire to buy one.

lePobz said:
Yeah that's right, BFG clock a 6800 ultra from 400 (ultra) to 450 (ultra extreme) - there's also XFX doing a 450 clock ultra, and Gainward doing a watercooled (CoolFX) 6800 ultra with a core clock in excess of 500mhz and memory over 1200 - although you probably need to be a millionaire to buy one.

Yeah and BFG has a bunch of packages for the Ultra, one with a water cooling block and 470mhz core, one with the water cooling block, 470mhz core, and 530 watt power supply, and one with the 530 watt power supply and a good GPU fan instead of water block. They're expensive though, but they gotta be amazing to have, just look at this:

http://www.bfgtech.com/6800.html

Newbie's Journey said:
so which card is mine ?? is it the same as gt ? does it run half life 2 on max ? i know ati perform better than nvidia in hl2. the guy who sold me this card said that i can exchange for another card within 15 days.

Right click on your desktop, go to properties, then click on the settings tab. It will say below where it shows a picture of your monitor setup, "Display:" and then it will say what your graphics card is.

bosox188 said:
Right click on your desktop, go to properties, then click on the settings tab. It will say below where it shows a picture of your monitor setup, "Display:" and then it will say what your graphics card is.

it says Nvidia Geforce 6800 and it doesn't say whether it's gt, but my card is 256mb

Newbie's Journey said:
it says Nvidia Geforce 6800 and it doesn't say whether it's gt, but my card is 256mb

Well if it's 256mb then it's either a GT or an Ultra, which either way means you have one of the best cards on the market right now. How much did it cost? A GT is around $400, an Ultra is around $500.

THis is the card you have.
Link
Asus official website. Link
The performance is faster then that of a 6800 but less then that of a 6800GT.

blackeye said:
THis is the card you have.
Link
Asus official website. Link
The performance is faster then that of a 6800 but less then that of a 6800GT.

Wow that is a ripoff. (I switched to USA prices don't worry) $482 for a card that's only a little better than a 6800? It costs more than a normal 6800GT even though the GT is better.

So whatever problems nvidia cards had during the time valve ran those tests where the ati 9800 cards came out stronger, are no longer relevant?

I was looking into a 6800, but was not sure.

Rephrasing: are 6800's supposed to work fine with dx9, contrary to the nvidias at the time of those old valve tests?

I was buying the same card and it seems to be a bottlenecked GT (only 12 pipelines instead of 16) but because its an ASUS ,wich is also highly OC'able it performes like a GT whn you OC a litle with the tool ASUS delivers with the card....
I presume (note PRESUME) that, if you unlock the other 4 pipelines with the new rivatoolpatch and then OC it performes near a Ultra
....so thats a near ultra for 400$ ,at least if you uses the Rivatool

rivatool-> www.guru3d.com

Correct me if I am wrong plz don't flame....

You can't get 16 pipelines from it. It only has 12 pipelines on it, it doesn't have 4 extra ones that are locked.

bosox188 said:
You can't get 16 pipelines from it. It only has 12 pipelines on it, it doesn't have 4 extra ones that are locked.

ahso...

could you tell me where you got that info?
not that I don't believe you butperhaps there's more info on that site then...if you got it from the net

If you could softmod a 6800 to have 16 pipelines, trust me it would have been discussed on these boards and others I post on.

Lone Bullet, it's Riva Tuner, but yep, you're right, which is why I refuse to buy a 6800-UE. GT all the way. wewt.

bosox188 said:
If you could softmod a 6800 to have 16 pipelines, trust me it would have been discussed on these boards and others I post on.

It has been discused on the Guru3D forums...I've found it yesterday but forgot to post it here...go check it out....
It's possible with MSI graphiccard and with ASUS graphiccards.
But over here it isn't discussed because for the moment only the programmers of Riva tuner are able to do it...they will get the patch online soon (hih...do I sound like Gabe? jk :p)

@malfunction...thx so do I...can't choose between the ASUS GE and the XFX GT ...the price difference is so small
I will never buy a U or UE ... will get a Antec sonata case...it won't be able to cool the card :(

anyway ...to stay ontopic there seems to be a difference between the U and the non U, other then just the clocks ; memory or Pipelines
again...check the www.guru3D.com site for more info...has something to do with the amount of vertex prosessors
link -> http://www.guru3d.com/news.php#1828

Oh get the XFX GT. The Asus GE is a 6800 ($300 version) clocked at GT speeds with 256mb memory and the price of a real GT, but with only 12 pipelines still. The XFX GT is better for the same price.

I wonder what fps you (nvidia)guys will get on hl2 with max settings including AA and AF......

Intresting!

maybe you should go read some vst benchmarks then. they've only been poster all over the forums in the last few weeks ¬_¬

Back